Post-match: [2019 FIFA World Cup U-20 ] Korea vs Portugal

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jessypjs, May 25, 2019.

1. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  2. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Korea 0-1 Portugal...

3. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    how are they playing so far? missed the 1st

4. TigersOfAsia2

TigersOfAsia2 Member

Toronto Maple Leafs
    South Korea
    May 12, 2017
    Why the hell are we playing longballs forward to JSJ and CYW as if they'd win them against Portugal's centerbacks. I'd like to see us cut down on the unforced errors in the second half.
    LKI, what a joy to watch. At times it looks like he has the ball on a string.

5. Captain_Obvious

Captain_Obvious New Member

Jun 2, 2018
    really lucky to behind just one goal. Outclassed in every category. LKI looks isolated and is trying to do too much.

jessypjs repped this.
  6. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Almost no shot on goal... they leave so much space for Portuguese's counter attacks. Portugal is way above Korea, imo, they're a strong contender for the title.

7. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    Any background information on the Korean coach?

8. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    wooooow....our kids have Zero composure.

9. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    in contrast to the Nor v Urg match, our guys are playing head n shoulders below them.

10. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    That offense looks toothless. Why did Bayern refuse to release Jeong WY?

11. LeeSeungWoo

LeeSeungWoo Member+

Jun 3, 2016
    #11 LeeSeungWoo, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    These players are the future of our NT? Really? No fking way.. How come they cant even do basic things like crossing, passing, etc?

JYW and KJM? I've never understood the hype for these players. Never impressed me. In fact, I must say KJM was the worst player today, as usual. Second PJY and second KSY my ass.

OSH is useless as fk like KSW. He in fact helped Portugal to counter attack several times. He thinks he can just touch ball with his head without even thinking where the ball would go.

LKI and UWS were the only ones who did their jobs, but still, they could've done better.

I feel like our U20 team is getting worse and worse every single tournament.

nmssis and Tazza repped this.
  12. Captain_Obvious

Captain_Obvious New Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I was thinking this the entire game. i expected them to lose but at least be competitive on the U20 level.

13. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Being tall + playing CM = KSY in the Korean hype machine

chook90, Deleted Users and yhr88 repped this.
  14. yhr88

yhr88 Member

South Korea
    Jun 13, 2017
    Their anticipation and off the ball movement was horrendous. Honestly wonder if it’s more about coaching as LKI, showing he is still a bit raw, as well as some other players seemed to be stuck in two roles today.

Just an observation I’ve noticed after watching Korean coaches in reality shows nowadays, Korean soccer development will always stay stagnant and simplistic if they keep this “one way” mentality when it comes to technicals. It’s always “you have to trap the ball like this”, “you have to shoot like this”, “you have to turn like this”, etc....

Different methods and techniques work for different players and you stifle the only growth that matters by implying there is only one way to do something. You have to encourage individual thought and then, as a coach, figure out how to best combine those differences and attributes.

It’s why all these Korean kids seem to play the same save for those with European development.

Tazza and wetcrispy repped this.
  15. CanadianGook

CanadianGook Member

Jun 16, 2005
    I dunno. I'd be more excited if LKI was on the bench vs Barca today than being in this u20 wc. If valencia pull off a miracle it would be good for him to celebrate with his teammates.

wetcrispy repped this.
  16. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    This game was a true reflection of all the things we’re bad at.

Yes, we’re not the most technical side but football is a contact sport so at least put is some effort? Lack of technique can be compensated by closing your man down, putting your shoulder in there, especially when the opponent has players who like to be cute. But we’re not going to do that with Kim Jung-min and Lee Kang-in are we. We need to complement them with a Nameale Keane, a breed that sadly died in the name of “기술축구”, a poor man’s attempt at technique. So what we’re left is an army of domestic players a la Yoon Bitgaram who are neither technical enough nor strong enough.

But even if we have a weapon that is the Lee Kang-in, who’s he going to pass to? Most domestic players are clueless when it comes to timing runs and just stand there. These forwards literally stand there asking for the ball. And even if they receive the ball, they don’t have the pace or the skill to beat their man 1 v 1.

So then the only option remaining is for us to play wide. Playing wide will hopefully stretch out the opposition and leave some space for a Lee Kang-in. But nah, the tactical instructions were clearly to “gain possession and play centrally” as if we got the skill to do that. This has been a theme that threads thru all levels of Korean football. Possession. We really don’t got the players for this. Our Kliga MVP is at best, a Bundes 2 player.

So lets play what we’re better at. Hustle. Close your man down. Pressure. On the counter, play the wide ball. Quickly. Give an overlap and cross the ball and pray.

Tazza, wetcrispy, chook90 and 2 others repped this.
  17. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    i too would like to have seen the players display a little more grit and upper body usage on opposing players but last game it probably worked to their favour as the ref was calling light fouls on every play. hopefully players will watch the film and realize their current level of physicality isnt going to cut it at this level. completely different stage from the reserve leagues and amateur university matches

Tazza, Deleted Users and chook90 repped this.
  18. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    And this applies to
    THIS