PBP: 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Round of 16: USA vs France

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 31, 2019.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to derail the thread too much by splitting hairs between the 2011 and 2013 teams. I do think that 2011 team had more talent on it though, they just had to play an away game for their do or die qualifier which burned them.

I hold no resentment towards that 2013 team. Getting a point out of the group was more than anybody could have asked

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you watch the Qatar game?

3. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can only beat Qatar 1-0, Nigeria 2-0, and lose to a European team 2-1, then we'll get stomped on by France. Look what another European club did to another CONCACAF nation, 12-0!
    Losing Mendez (to yellows), who had the potential to score on a set play or long shot, is a big loss. Every opportunity's going to count in this match because as per usual for the US seniors or youths there aren't many chances.
    It is what it is. No reason to be in dreamland, folks.

4. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when the US sets up defensively and conservatively, yes, they stuggle to create.

When they take the aggressive offensive stance like they did vs Nigeria they can create chances vs anyone...I would say Nigeria is more physically imposing than any team in the tournament and it didn't stop the US from creating against them....

And that european loss was luck. Ukraine couldn't get the ball across midfield for the first 30 minutes of the game.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think he planned for the team to play as they did.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I knew it as soon as I saw the lineup.

He should learn from these 3 games and realize that possession of the ball is the best defense.

don Lamb repped this.
  7. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Rome is great, though I did tell me wife that since we were in Europe already, my life long dream was to see the Polish countryside in June, but she didn't go for it.

SteelyTom, Guinho and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The transitive property always works in sports

zlebmada, SteelyTom, nycfc919 and 9 others repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Ukraine is actually beaten France in Euro Championship. Another Concacaf team just eliminated another top European team. Ledezma has potential to score on a set play or long shot.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    FFS. We’re not going to our-possess the ball vs France.

Your desire to play attractive attacking soccer vs good teams is a preference for style over substance.

11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, this isn't the Full French national team...(which btw plyed super defensive in the last world cup anyway)

second.... 40% possession is way better than 25%...both from a stylistic perspective and winning % perspective. if France is indeed as good as you make them out to be, the US still oughta be able to get around 40% possession if they play their game and don't capitulate with their strategy. bare minimum.

Play your game..."land of the free home of the brave" not land of the wimps home of the chickens....these players aren't built to play scared and afraid. Ukraine could barely get the ball over the midfield line in the first game...play like that and let the chips fall where they may, imo.

High press, play for real, aggressive....and keep the ball as much as you can....don't go into the game with your tail between your legs.

Last I checked Pogba and Mbappe are not on the France U-20 team....these players are not some unbeatable dream team. i haven't heard of any of them and I follow the sport pretty closely.

third, if the US somehow bunkers its way deep into this tourney...it will be irrelevant imo....what are those players learning? is the full USMNT going to benefit from players who lucked into a bunker advancement? nope. The USMNT needs players who can possess and go toe-to-toe with the best...let's see who has the chops and who doesn't...this is a chance to test the mettle and build character....not get scared.

I'll bet you anything that if the US lineup is extra-conservative and the team kicks the ball upfield randomly all game like i'm guessing they might, they will be eliminated...and THAT will have little to do with the opponent and a lot to do with the approach.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    She hates men! It's a goddam syllogism!

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Of course France only beat Panama 2-0.
    We're the CONCACAF champions, not Panama.

On paper France is better than us. They may actually be better than anybody left in the tournament. But we do have the talent to beat them. We're not afraid. I like Mendez, but he's not Xavi. We have other talented players in this group.

You go to the World Cup to test yourself against the best. That's the whole idea. So bring on France. If we come out of this game playing well and to our abilities, but lose...…………….c'est la vie.

If this game goes like we want it to as USYNT fans, it'll be the "coming out" party of Paxton Pomykal on the world stage. FCD is getting their bank account ready as we speak. Cha Ching!!!

Deeneaus, Guinho, Namdynamo and 9 others repped this.
  14. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Directv schedule still shows that US game on Fox Sports + and the Japan game on FS2. So I checked Fox Sports website directly and they show the US game at 1130 edt on FS2.

Winoman repped this.
  15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to play my day for Tuesday. Anyone can confirm if the game will be televised at 8:15 or replayed at 11:30

16. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    If we manage to win this game it’d be one of the best results at any level in US soccer history.

zlebmada, SteelyTom and Guinho repped this.
  17. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I follow what you are asking. The game is on FS2 live at 1130 EDT.

Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  18. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we could have if we’d brought our best and most experienced players, but US U-20 teams are usually B+ teams because the A team players are playing up with the full national team. Imagine the midfield with Adams and our threat with Sargent...

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I'm on the west coast, so we are 3 hours behind :)

20. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Are we the only team in the U20 WC that doesn't have all of it's top players available? I always hear about how we're missing Sargent and Adams, but can't help but think other nations are missing similar, if not better, players?

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's impossible to know what a team's true ceiling is...but when I watch this team so far, I don't see a limit on what they can achieve....the first half vs Ukraine, the Nigeria game....

When the team then under-performs to their capacity...it's very hard not to think maybe the coach has something to do with that...

It is part and parcel of being in charge of a team with a lot of talent...expectations are high....and when they aren't met ...the coach is the first target.

If a team plays up to its highest self...then the coach shouldn't be blamed for a loss.....

But if they have proven they can be at a certain level and then under-perform (likely as a result of coaching decisions) it is totally fair to blame the coach.

Like it or not, managers have a HUGE impact in soccer.

As soon as the EPL went after Klopp, Guardiola, Pocchetino Mourhino etc whaddya know...they are in the finals of everything.....they were outspending the other countries for a long time now but weren't winninig much until they got the right managers. simple.

SteelyTom repped this.
  22. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the Javan Torre era.

We’ve come a long way.

Sebsasour repped this.
  23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead BigSoccer Yellow Card

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    That would be a great test of the FCD system (arguably the US' top development academy) and would probably be worth watching for that reason alone. How does the FCD system hold up against a juggernaut?

24. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead BigSoccer Yellow Card

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    A true A team for the US would also feature high profile players that are currently with the senior team.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have been thinking about this a lot.
    I think losing Mendez may be a loss but not a huge one.
    My reasoning for this is that it seemed like he would step up and shoot the FK directly at the keeper or have it go a few feet over the net. Over and over and over.
    After it happened for what seemed like the millionth time against Qatar I was thinking to myself maybe we should work on other types of set pieces with other players.

This suspension will force us to train and try other types of kicks and maybe even crosses in those situations.