2019 Dynamo Attendance Review

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #101 Westside Cosmo, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Dynamo “announced” attendance tonight vs. RBNY - 19,531!!

Thats 88% of stadium capacity. This may be the most absurd number they’ve ever announced which is saying something. I’m gonna assume they just gave away massive amounts of tickets to sponsors and charities. A week or 10 days ago they had massive amounts of seats showing as available and I don’t think a 3 game losing streak and the night before a holiday weekend is a winning formula for ticket sales

Dynam0 repped this.
  2. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Okay, the t.v may have been a bit misleading. I have discovered a small flaw in the 713, namely that thousands of people were in line at concessions. I have never had to get up so many times during a game before to let people back in. Everytime I took a leak the lines were crazy. Tonight's crowd was rocking.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this twitter post is interesting for the following reasons:
    1) It appears they had to "distribute" tickets at a very cut rate if not outright giveaway to get to an announced figure of 19,531
    2) the referenced original post is from a Dynamo ticket sales guy (yeah, shocker)
    3) the guy who attempts to back it up with the whole "we had a ton of people at concessions so the picture is misleading" (that comes up every few games) actually does nothing other than reinforce that the stadium wasn't ready for everyone with the dollar hot dogs and $3 beer
    4) the more "713 series" games you have, the less season tickets you sell when everyone realizes half the games you can get into for $7. I'm not sure using the 713 promotion more than a few odd games makes a whole lot of economic sense

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like every 4 years we see these types of tweets (mens and womens world cup) and yet the only thing we see is Dynamo and Dash attendance continuing to drop each year

Sorry, the Dash are actually up 4% from 2018 in announced attendance, which was their lowest to date

1148037950158061568 is not a valid tweet id

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I know, what hurts even more is that for some reason I thought max capacity was 30k. Its 22k, that makes it even worse. We cant find 22k to go to a game in the 4th largest and most diverse city in America.

CeltTexan repped this.
  8. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    22039 to be exact.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo announced attendance last night - 14,250. See pics below. I was there in person and this one may have been one of the more egregious exaggerations thus far. I would estimate 8-9,000 butts in seats. And don't tell me they were all on the concourse or in the Heineken bar, massive sections with no one in it.

With Astros, summer, weather, etc. I could see a lot of no-shows but this number seems fabricated badly. On the positive, at less than 10k the stadium and the concessions staff, etc. works a lot better than at a larger crowd so that was a positive.

10. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @Westside Cosmo

Wow. You found something positive about last night's embarrassment.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was able to get prompt & adequate concessions service because lines were short. Seriously, the scrimping on the original stadium design and costs makes it really good at about 12,000 or less people actually at the game. Over that amount and things get stretched and strained operationally.

now, as to airflow . . .

12. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Not a chance there were 14k there. That was one of the lowest attendance games I've been to outside the Open Cup. Usually my section is fairly full and we were way down in numbers.

Just going to get worse, the playoffs are all but gone and with no big moves or even rumors, fans will just watch at home or stop tuning in at all.

I wonder if MLS is putting any pressure on teams like the Dynamo to improve the product. The visuals are awful.

CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last nights announced attendance: 15,458. I gotta give the Dynamo credit with putting out a strong number in face of evidence it was completely manufactured.

It’s like the George Costanza line in Seinfeld - “Remember, it’s not lying if you really believe it’s true”

http://mobile.twitter.com/MLS_Buzz/status/1162935919067971589

Ethos repped this.
  14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw some guy on twitter trying to use the WWE show at Toyota Center last night as a partial reason for the low turnout. It wasn’t a big show or a Raw taping, etc. that’s really stretching

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to our stadium and cheer our players on.
    Bobo.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allegedly according to the Dynamo ticket sales guy on twitter, 8k folks were at the game on Saturday. Seems a bit high but not completely unreasonable.

I know the next home game on 9/11 is a 713 game but it’s a Wednesday night school week and Astros home game night, frightening to see how few people could show. I’m sure they’ll eventually paper the house with free tickets to every sponsor or charity, but that has to be a bleak one unless the Dynamo win a few games in a row here

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a month since I bothered to update this. The Dynamo "announced" attendance last night was 15,146. My guess is they gave a whole ton of tickets away to MD Anderson and first responders and who knows who else. Below are some visuals from the evening:

The full season average home attendance is now 15,293 for the year (announced attendance). This is a 10% drop from last year's average of 16,903. Regardless if they sell out the LA final game at home, the Dynamo will finish 20th in MLS overall for attendance based on their "announced" figures as they cannot realistically move up or down on the attendance table

19. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    It was better attended than I thought it would be but still pretty pathetic.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    Considering the form and state of the team and club respectively, I though for sure the crowd was going to be feeble at best. And yet as the game kicked off and wouldn't ya know it, that old fashioned Houston late arriving crowd started to fill in around BBVA. And of course us in the hinchada brought our A Game.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To wrap up 2019 attendance stats for the Dynamo - first, a look at the visuals from Sunday's "announced" near sellout of 21,777:

With that final "announced" figure, finish the year 20th out of 24 teams in announced attendance with an average of 15,674 which is 7% drop from 2018 (which was 3% down from 2017). Dynamo are down 25% from 2012-2019

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-mls-attendance/

Here is who the Dynamo finished ahead of in attendance:

Columbus (still recovering from the Precourt tank job)
    Dallas (long struggling attendance wise)
    Colorado (same as Dallas)
    Chicago (Dumpster) Fire - arguably the worst run team in a bad stadium location to some although they have spent serious salary dollars.

You'd have to say the only teams we are better than are teams that were considered bottom of the barrel in MLS from a fan attraction standpoint over the last 10 years, either thru bad locations or bad play or apathy.

22. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Westside Cosmo repped this.
  23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good 'ol Web must be using the Dynamo math in estimating the crowd at the protest as "good sized" while also blaming Downtown traffic for the turnout. Seriously, this is the same logic Dynamo fanboys apply to the BBVA fake attendance figures!!

24. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @Westside Cosmo

interesting... Astros had no problem attracting huge crowds when they won the WS in ‘17... and traffic and parking was horrible that day.

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #125 Westside Cosmo, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    I think certain things can be affected by traffic, bad dates, conflicts, etc, but not a half season of poorly attended games.

It’s just a view inside of some of the people who like to defend the team and everything that they think is important while neglecting reality. He and Circle of Suck front office guy tweet each other all the time, they all view things the same way

Dynam0 repped this.