2019 Colorado Buffaloes

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by unkiemark, Apr 8, 2019.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Jeez, I almost wrote "1919 Colorado Buffaloes" as the thread title. Well, at least my grandfather was around at that time, although he would have been in England.

I'm a bit late getting this thread started.

As has been noted on the previous thread, Marty Pukatapu has returned to New Zealand to be close to her family. And Hannah Sharts has transferred in from UCLA. Sharts is a defender and will be sophomore.

The Buffs have played 2 spring games - v the U14 Real Colorado Boys which they won 4-0.

This past Sunday they defeated Air Force 1-0 in Boulder.

Up next is BYU in Provo next Saturday.

On the who's incoming front, Kyla Ferry from Phoenix has been having a solid spring with her club team.
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/girls-club-soccer-player-of-the-week_aid45793

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BYU 1, Buffs 0. That's all I know.

The day of the Wyoming game, I am scheduled to work all day. I'd try to get out of it but I'm still hoping to come up with enough money to get to France in June (and sleep indoors) so I'd better keep the hours.

3. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 1, Nebraska 0

The better team did not win. Why am I thinking of the Utah game last year? And to some extent, UCLA, especially in the second half. Anyway, the scoreboard showed shots on goal 14-6 Nebraska and that pretty much reflects the run of play. They were all over us in the first half, we did better after halftime

This is the last game I will not have to drive 250 miles each way to see, so I didn't take notes, just enjoyed the game. I have to work next Saturday, the Wyoming game. Moving to Grand Junction in June. This is halfway to Salt Lake City and it's an easy drive, so I'll be at the Utah game.

From the beginning, Nebraska attacked with five, sometimes six players, precision passing and good speed. We defended well, and a lot. We often relied on the long ball to clear because when we got the ball, there would be six, sometimes seven players between the ball and midfield. Defenders passed the ball among themselves a lot. But we had our moments. Camilla Shymka

(Camilla is VERY fast)

sprang herself loose with the ball and roared into the penalty box, was about to pass the onrushing goalkeeper who stuck her hip (I think) out and smote Camilla to the ground. I am still waiting for the call, I guess we're not going to get it. Then came the collision.

You could see this one coming well before it happened. The ball was on the ground, moving either very slowly or not at all. A defender was heading towards it at full speed. From the other direction, here came Kayleigh Webb (who played at right midfield). Kayleigh doesn't back down, the defender didn't either, they both slid at the ball and tied. Kayleigh struggled to her feet first and had a wide open pathway to the goal. Took two steps and down she went. Knee. Don't yet know how serious it is, but I don't think it's just a tweak. The half ended 0-0 but we had been very much outplayed.

And I have to go to work. Will finish this tonight. By now, you may have guessed that we scored in the second half. Don't smite Camilla when she and the ball are in the box, she will score on you later.

6. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buffs 1, Nebraska 0 continued (late)

It was a different game right from the second half kickoff. They were still attacking well, but so were we. JJ had made eight saves in the first half but none of them fell into the spectacular category. That changed, she made the two Saves of the Day about five seconds apart, leaping for one and sprawling for the other. The game became delightful to watch, two good teams going back and forth at each other and playing hard but cleanly, not many fouls were called and didn't need to be. We didn't score at BYU, could we somehow get one here? Nebraska's goalkeepers played pretty far from the goal, sometimes very far. The man in front of me was continually urging the defenders (usually) to send one over her head, but 60-70 yards is a long way to kick a soccer ball. But closer maybe?

Emily Groark had the ball near the top of the penalty box, facing away from the goal and with a defender all over her. She fought off the defender long enough to pass to Katie Joella, facing away from the goal and with a defender all over her. She fought off the defender long enough to pass to Camilla Shymka

(did I mention that Camilla is VERY fast)

who was open just enough to shoot over the goalkeeper, ball hit the bottom of the crossbar and down to the ground maybe a foot over the goal line. We spent the rest of the game kind of hanging on for dear life because Nebraska really cranked up their game, but hang on we did.

We have another defender, and she is good ... Hannah Sharts, transfer from UCLA, will be a sophomore. Speaking of defenders named Hannah, Hannah Cardenas showed no sign of her injury, she didn't play but I think we will have her back by August. Hannah S, Kelsey Aaknes, Jesse Loren, Sofia Weiner and Gabbi Chapa all played really well at defense, they had to for us to win this game. And JJ ... 14 saves.

There are lots of great pictures from the game on Facebook.

Wyoming this coming Saturday, I have to miss it. I know one thing for certain about my future life in Grand Junction ... I will DEFINITELY have the Pac-12 channel. And I should be there for the Texas game, I was hoping Baylor would be on the same weekend but not. And at Utah.

I will miss this team. It's been eleven years, some joy, some heartbreak, and just a lot of fun being their fan.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Last match of the spring takes place Saturday at noon v Wyoming. Unfortunately, I most likely won't be able to attend. And it's at the same time as the football spring game which will most likely get a lot of attention given that there is a new head coach.

8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Looking forwards to see the Buffs in France. Is the schedule already known ?

11. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Cool that they are going. The USC Trojans will also be there!!

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I think that these two week trips are great for the players and bonding with each other, but I'm baffled as to how they are paid for. Does each player raise her own money? Is there a fund for such trips within the athletic department? Is there a large donor or a booster club funding the trip?

My back of the envelope estimate is that the costs would be about $3,000 to $3,500 per person from the west coast (airfare, hotel, meals, local touring, regional transportation, soccer games expenses inc uniforms, laundry, referees, fields), insurance/incidentals. I assume that most of the team would be going plus coaches and other staff, so the whole venture would cost a cool $100,000+. Where does the money come from?

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    From the USC stand point there is a fundraising mechanism in place but also there is money budgeted for the trip through the athletic department to do a trip once every 4 -5 years. And your estimates are low. Plus the incoming recruits are going as well. 11 days England and France They play 3 exhibition games and attend 2 World Cup games

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the kind of thing that shows why, if current trends continue, the Power 5 conferences very soon (as in, in about 3 years) will have a monopoly on at large positions in the NCAA Tournament.

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    USC are coming? hoping to catch them in England and France, could not get to an FSU game last season as they played the one I wanted to attend behind closed door...

16. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love it.

I ordinarily don't approve or disapprove. I simply report what the data and trends suggest.

In this particular case, I think a trip like this every 4-5 years is fantastic for the players and good from an educational perspective.

derbarkasmann and cachundo repped this.
  18. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

derbarkasmann and cpthomas repped this.
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Looks like the Buffs are actively recruiting in Europe. Don't know if it is for 2019 or beyond (or both).

20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About $3,500 to a company that puts these trips together. Doesn't cover everything but I think it comes close. The team has been fundraising for a year, and I suspect that the cost is covered by a combination of ingredients.

It wasn't part of my job, but I spent a lot of my time at San Diego State University persuading and convincing students to do a semester or year abroad. SDSU had 140something programs available and was usually #2 or 3 in the country in sending students abroad. Many described it as a Life Changing Experience, or words to that effect. Athletes can't take a semester off from their sport, so I think these trips are a wonderful idea. I wish that some of the seniors could/would do it.

I still maintain a fantasy of being there for the team's games in Paris, I have enough airline miles, but I'm sort of very much in transition now and it's complicated.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The LOC told us in April that the flight prices had gone up a lot from the USA to France as many fans are coming for the World Cup. Hope to see you at a game in Paris.

22. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the 75th anniversary of D-Day is the day before the World Cup begins.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    outside63 repped this.
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Here's something I have been wondering about the trip to France - will any of the incoming freshmen be able to participate? It sure would make a difference if they were able to practice and play in the matches.

25. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seeing that schools at all levels have been taking these trips for 20+ years what makes you say that? Stetson and Gardner Webb just got back from European trips this spring, should we expect them in the NCAA tournament too?