2019 Atlanta United Postmortem and 2020 Preseason

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Auriaprottu, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fair enough- when we get a bit better, we'll be a selling, developing league. Right now, we aren't even that, if your assessment is accurate.

I don't disagree here, but why is this so significant? Folks who are on the fence about watching because of the quality of the league probably aren't going to do much to add to a footballing culture. People all over the world watch and follow the leagues in their countries, whether said league is first-rate or not. We just played a Swedish club last week whose fans probably couldn't care less what Messi or Ronaldo or Liverpool did this week, or what someone outside Sweden thinks of their league. Plenty of leagues full of fans like that outside Asia and North America. But we seem to concern ourselves with some unofficial competition between leagues that the leading leagues couldn't care less about. They aren't going to acknowledge us, no matter how much that may be desired. They don't care. Their fans don't care. Nobody cares about MLS but FIFA, and they're allowing MLS to ruin the game with shit like NYC's U-6 pitch so they can make money.

It's not an excuse, IMO. It's a factor- you yourself say as much. Why pretend it isn't for the sake of sportsmanship? There isn't a good time, but we're probably playing in the worst.

All true, but the United States doesn't have a footballing culture.

I don't agree here. Slow growth would have involved a plan to allow the league(s) to start small (as in, no TV or radio) and grow thru a culture of fans who could learn to handle relegation because there isn't any money or fame in it to begin with, and then unify those regional clubs waaaaaay down the road some kind of way into a proper ladder FA. It was MLS' jumping the gun that created a situation where nobody can afford to be relegated and nobody's mature enough to handle not ever really having a shot, so we get a pointyball-style cartel with playoffs and a salary cap. I mean, I'm glad to have a league and a club, but I know it isn't going to ever be all it could be the way it's being done here and now.

I agree with all of this, but we're simultaneously creating (and validating) a clown system.

2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You'll be surprised how many people are on the fence about following MLS but are still stuck in the 90s version of MLS. I was one of those people just 3 years ago.

Auriaprottu and GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Folks, would you mind taking the discussion of the MLS model to a new thread or one in the News and Analysis section, please? We've strayed way off topic here. Thanks.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but the post-mortem is about to be the neo-natal, so it might be moot anyway.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s the word on new guys?

Any word on a Left Back (Arzamendia) and Defensive Mid?

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nothing but crickets, but the transfer window doesn't close until Cinco de Mayo, so there is plenty of time.

7. nirwin

nirwin Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Aug 20, 2007
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you tell me I can win either CCL or MLS Cup this year, I'd easily choose CCL...like, easily. Continental cup>domestic title...but more than that, you're not giving up the chance to win MLS Cup by prioritizing CCL. It's a false choice. You can do both without a problem.

Gunner repped this.
  8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season starts soon. I’d like to have our players before kick off.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Transfer news:

Looks like the rumors of Mexican speedster Jurgen Damm are coming true. Sounds like he'll be coming onboard this summer on a free transfer. Villalba's replacement? Not sure what this means for the Casto loan.

Matheus Rossetto's down in Brazil finalizing his visa paperwork and should be available for the home opener.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! I haven’t followed Damm lately, but he was a pretty stellar player and only 27.

I still think we’ll want a LB and DM too.

VFish repped this.
  11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yeah, those are needs for sure, unless we can keep Bello healthy at LB. And still not sure what Rossetto's role will be. I need to see/learn more about him.

The Castro loan is for 6 months and Damm wouldn't arrive until June. I also imagine there is a good chance European clubs might come calling for either Barco or Pity during the summer transfer window.

12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Barco and Pity play all season like they did last night, they'll both be in Europe this summer, and Atlanta will have some very full pockets.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Atlanta is doing well this season I don't see them letting both Pity and Barco leave during the summer. That would be folly. I'd rather do all sales in January, even if terms are agreed in the summer.