2019 AFC Asian Cup - Group B

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Suren01, May 4, 2018.

1. Persepolis#8

Persepolis#8 Member

Manchester United/Persepolis
    Dec 19, 2018
    Question. Is Rogic an actual attacking midfielder? I always assumed he was a CM. Could that be why Australia isn't more penetrative in the box? Always going to be hard to replace Tim Cahill too.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think it is too early to write off Australia or peg the quarterfinals as the best they will be able to do. I agree that overall Jordan deserved to win although Australia were robbed of a handball penalty that should have been called. In any case, a poor start in a tournament in which 3 teams from the group can potentially advance may not necessarily be all bad. It might help a side show more urgency and be less complacent. What I feel is that Australia is still good enough to beat practically any team in this tournament but not good enough to be actually favored against several of them. While I have not seen the other major title contenders yet, the way things stand now, Australia;s prospects look less favorable than them. But not by enough to absolutely rule out Australia rebounding and moving far into the tournament.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I actually enjoyed that game and liked what I saw from Syria. That was one of the better scoreless games I have seen in Asia.

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think you are just being nice to me. I will be much happier when I start to see evidence that we are capable of scoring in a real game when everyone is trying.

5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny but this loss to Jordon could wind up being some sort of a blessing in disguise for Australia. If I'm mistaken, the top half of the knockout stages looks a lot tougher than the bottom half. Meaning, the winners of groups B, D + F all go through this route. Assuming Iran, Japan + Australia all won their groups, that would mean Japan vs Australia in the quarters and the winner of that game playing potentially Iran in the semifinals. You'd also potentially have Saudi in that group too. Leaving the likes of South Korea, Uzbekistan, UAE, Qatar, etc. in the 2nd bracket. By not winning either of these aforementioned groups could actually give a team an easier path to the final in the long run. But then again, give the tournament so far, who knows what might happen.... could Graham Arnold's long term tactical ploy all along ;)

el-capitano repped this.
  6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If only we were that clever ;)

7. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well Jordan bossed Syria last night, and tonight Australia gets their chance to put on a better show than they did against Jordan.

Jordan really went from strength to strength last against Syria, who looked very suspect at the back and bit lost what to do in the final third (even more lost than the Aussies, if possible).

Australia need to put in a good performance tonight ... a clinical display is what has been missing from the team for many moons.

8. Hunglol

Hunglol New Member

Liverpool FC
    Jan 11, 2019
    I so think,

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    3-0 good enough for you? :)

10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    To me the biggest plus wasn't necessarily the scoreline but the fact the goals came from general play and all from good old fashioned crosses.

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Added the bold bit for you. That helped too.

12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Feel free to correct me if I have this wrong.

Jordan wins group regardless. As 4 points will guarantee the third placed team a spot then

If Palestine defeats Jordan they qualify in third spot. They could sneak into second on goal difference if they win by at least three and Syria defeat Australia narrowly.

Australia finishes second with a win or a draw. A loss could see them drop to 4th if Palestine defeat Jordan, otherwise they finish on 3 and will have to wait and see what happens in other groups to see if they can qualify. Relying on other results hasn't been kind to Australia recently.

Syria finishes second or 3rd and qualify with a win (the placing depending on Palestine's result against Jordan). A draw sees them finish on two points and either 3rd or 4th, again depending on what Palestine do. A 3rd placing on two points is relying on two draws between the bottom placed teams in the other groups to get through.

el-capitano repped this.
  13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah- so much easier when it's just the top two to go through :D

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan has already won the group and have confirmed their Jan 20 fixture in Dubai against Bahrain or 3rd place group D. The reason is it's head-to-head as the initial tie breaker so Australia simply cannot overtake them on goal difference.

Honestly, this is why I really hate the head-to-head tie breaker as it leaves too many groups and matches in the last day meaningless. If goal difference was a factor, then Jordan would need a point to guarantee first place. As it is now, they can rest players and take their foot off the pedal should they want to. This means that Palestine, who I would normally not give much chance to, I think have a real chance of getting a result here. I wouldn't be too shocked if they do get their victory against their close neighbors and book their place in the round of 16 at the expense of another 3rd place team. Anyway, Australia do need at least a point to qualify, a loss vs Syria coupled with a Palestinian win would leave them bottom.

15. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This group done. Jordan and Australia go through, Palestine wait around hoping for a couple of draws amongst the bottom placed teams of the other groups, and Syria go home. Syrian fans probably feel a bit hard done by but truth be told Australia's second goal was over the line, and the penalty that should have been given was pretty much cancelled out by the one that was given but shouldn't have been. Jordan play either Bahrain, Vietnam or Yemen, and Australia pay either Japan or Uzbekistan.

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Even if you've missed a clearish pen, there's no need to give away the ridiculous even up. The broadcasters didn't even show any replays of it they were that embarrassed. ;)

17. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Personally if I was reffing I wouldn't have given the Milligan handball as a pen, mainly because he didn't "deliberately" handle the ball IMO (which is the Law).

However, I also wouldn't have giving half the fouls that Syria "won" ... I think they must double as the Syrian national diving team (they were just as bad against Jordan, and the ref was sucked in that game too). You could see that Syria really didn't know how to attack, they would go down with any touch (football is a contact sport) near the box in the hope for a set piece. Every aerial ball they'd hold their head after or make a cry of anguish. I personally really hate teams that play this way, to me it is not in the "spirit of the game".

PS: Syria's best line of attack would have been to go out wide and whip balls into the box. Kicking it long inside the 50 to the tall full forward only works if you have small forwards playing off the pack and crumbing.

+PL+ repped this.