2019-20 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2019.

1. The Hideaway

The Hideaway Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Sep 23, 2019
    [In terms of choosing academies, I don't see much of a downside to choosing an MLS one before you turn pro. There really isn't a comparison between the good academies of MLS and any other academy in the country in terms of training levels and game levels, and that likely will only increase. If a player wants to go to Europe, I'd still suggest moving to an MLS academy like Dallas, Philly, or NYCFC because you really don't have anything to lose. You can always move to a USL team or a European team if you aren't under contract.

From my perspective, the guys who go to non-MLS academies before Europe are either A) being told to leave the MLS academy because they've made their intentions clear, B) trying to take advantage of some rule that will help them sign in Europe earlier, or C) not actually good enough for their MLS academy so they're trying to go somewhere else to get playing time before their trials.

It's possible others will disagree with me, but by the time you're 14/15, if you're good enough to be in an MLS academy then you should be. Signing a pro contract with an MLS team is a whole different discussion.[/QUOTE]

Let me give you the other side. My kid is 14 and good enough for MLS DA. He is undersized for his age, but skilled and high soccer IQ. His playing time at MLS DA as an undersized u15 has been limited. Not playing ends up eating at a player psychologically, even for the psychologically strongest .. Yes, he was good enough to make MLS DA at 14 (and a very good MLS DA by the way), but some players need to play to improve. I think his development would have been better served getting much more playing time at the level right below (still DA but not MLS). You can't understate the importance of game time touches and impacting games in terms of building confidence.

TarHeels17 and Winoman repped this.
  2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Let me give you the other side. My kid is 14 and good enough for MLS DA. He is undersized for his age, but skilled and high soccer IQ. His playing time at MLS DA as an undersized u15 has been limited. Not playing ends up eating at a player psychologically, even for the psychologically strongest .. Yes, he was good enough to make MLS DA at 14 (and a very good MLS DA by the way), but some players need to play to improve. I think his development would have been better served getting much more playing time at the level right below (still DA but not MLS). You can't understate the importance of game time touches and impacting games in terms of building confidence.[/QUOTE]

Playing time is huge, for interest in the sport and actually getting competitive play, which really can't be simulated in practice.

Folks focus so much on competition here as a driver, but the best level to play at is the toughest one for which you can still get playing time.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone brought up that the very top academy players get to work with MLS players at times in MLS academies and obviously that can't happen at a non-MLS academy? I "think" that helps players to become more ready for the jump up to the next level but can't say how much it helps.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hi @ussoccer97531. How have you been. In this time of looking for games to watch, you mentioned there were alot of DA games you've accessed and watched.
    Is it possible to put links in this or a new thread so we can watch some DA games with some good prospects. Thanks in advance.

5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @watke

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ability to train with a pro first team can’t be matched at a non MLS DA but at the same time if you don’t fit the system at the club then you’re stuck because of the homegrown territories.

If the territories are removed (apparently there are pretty strong rumors of this coming soon) then players would be able to search for clubs that fit them better and quickly integrate into the pro system and the American game would grow much quicker in my opinion.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Who dat?

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    One thing that can happen is sorting out who might be mentally capable of making a big jump to the next level. I think most of us on these boards remember the story of the USA national team preparing for the 2014 World Cup in Northern California. During training Klinsmann decided to scrimmage the local college team Stanford. Story goes Jordan Morris absolutely tore up Clarence Goodson in the scrimmage. Goodson was cut soon after, but Morris started to get national team caps after the WC because Klinsmann felt he was fearless at that level.

Pegasus repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Watke made a list of a number of games here that he operates. It's updated regularly, but there's not been much to update recently.

1235957174335045633 is not a valid tweet id

There are some other links that I've had sent to me. If you want to watch a team that's not listed there, tell me which one and I'll see what I can find. Most teams in the DA probably have some games from this season on youtube or some other platform.

Winoman and SUDano repped this.
  10. focusondev

focusondev Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 15, 2019
    Mr. Kerr, how does that territory rule work? There have been several DA players who have switch clubs without a problem. I am probably missing something. Your explanation is appreciated.

11. focusondev

focusondev Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 15, 2019
    Why did TopDrawerSoccer expand the Top150 to Top200 when they can't even get the Top150 straight, IMHO?

12. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    1,000%. Well said. Outside of a handful of MLS academies many are garbage just like the overall level of MLS in general (compared to Europe, SA)

Be very, very careful of going the MLS route. Fools gold if you’re fortunate to have one of the top amateur clubs In your area. Granted they are very rare.... That is if your kid is genuinely good enough to go to Europe. If he is get him there by u16 if you have a passport or are willing to move.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Now that covers 10 players what do we do for the other 100,000?

14. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    #939 Ryan7852, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    [Destroy the monopoly that is MLS. Model the Int’l standards that produce serious financial incentives to develop players.

15. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I agree to financially incentivize development. I don't think destroying MLS does that. We all have to keep in mind that if we let the market determine soccer in the US the league would have folded in 2003. Thank you MLS for having your closed market but it's time to open up development.

Stupid_American and TarHeels17 repped this.
  16. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Harsh but true in my opinion. MLS is improving but it seriously lags behind Int’l standards. Its time they take their boot off the throat of our federation.

17. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Sorry...meaning destroy MLS as single entity. Not the league entirely. Open it up full throttle as it is everywhere else on the planet.

18. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost every MLS club has a designated "territory" where they have a right to exercise a undisputed claim on any players who live typically within 75 miles of the club. The smaller area clubs often have a much larger territory. It is up to the club whether they want to or not, an example of this happening was when Houston refused to let Christian Cappis sign for FC Dallas. So basically, if you live within 75 of a MLS club then you have almost no choice to play for just that MLS club if you want to sign for MLS because the club does have the right to restrict your ability to sign for another club if you live in the club's territory.

From what I've been hearing in private convos, the territory rule may be getting wiped away very soon. MLS academies need to exist in a free market if they truly want to grow and develop quality players at a high rate because the players need to be able to have the choice of going to clubs that truly fit them instead of being pigeonholed to a club that they unfortunately live close to.

focusondev repped this.
  19. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Are you familiar with restrictions related to MLS academy contracts? Not HG, but just your run of the mill kid going to an MLS DA, all expense paid, etc. what’s in the fine print for those kids/families. Nothing is truly free right? Do you/anyone know anything about this? I’ve heard there’s horror stories but not sure what that really means.

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most academies it is completely free of charge at the DA level but the contracts the players have signed have do involve things like training compensation if they're sold by another club in the future. Non-territory players do have the right to move from club to club in the MLS as they please. The training compensation contracts do make the players less enticing to clubs in Europe which does hurt their chances of getting to move abroad.

21. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    Right. Which is akin to solidarity payments in Europe which makes sense for the DA academy to seek compensation for development. The problem being it’s still a bastardized system and not a truly free and open marketplace.

Our best and brightest getting shots in Europe largely because it’s free for these clubs. Risk is minimal. Further evidence that if you’re in an area with a top notch non mls DA (and your kid has ambitions/talent for Europe) Consider going that route.

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't see the correlation between good enough and Europe being solely the domain of the non-MLS academy. In fact its developmental oxymoron. If you are good enough you logically want to expose yourself to the top coaching, facilities, and challenge your self domestically against the top competition on your team for minutes and against others. MLS teams travel the world and play against top international competition and players the budgets on non-mls academies can't match. It exposes you to not only top competition but also to their countries scouts. Unions 08's just played two top youth tournaments in Brazil and Argentina something
    PA classics just can't do.

Stupid_American repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1248020357019308032 is not a valid tweet id

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Without recognizing the long time benefit of single entity through the years I think it's somewhat fool hearty to forget the past to not appropriately plan for the future.
    I think its naive to think by simply opening up everything will solve everything and create nothing. There's Single entity and then there's single entity. I do believe most things should open up but have no problem with some restriction for of salary cap or methods to reduce stupid spending and paying dead money. Something like having all long term contracts guaranteed even if players are cut like other leagues. Paying large sums of monies to players who aren't even playing for your team is the dumbest business model for MLS and opening up things would allow this. There are others but I hope you get my point.

25. Ryan7852

Ryan7852 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 24, 2019
    There are some non mls clubs that have coaching miles above their mls counterparts.

Tournaments outside of the country - I don’t believe that is very common place for most or most teams within a DA that does play those tournaments.

the non mls clubs that excel play the same competition as mls da’s on the whole.