2019-20 Development Academy

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #776 ussoccer97531, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    I'm a fan of his game. In the rankings I put out in December, I had him 14th among the 05's.

Here's what I wrote after watching him play in a game last year.

I thought Ceja was the best LAFC player in a team that didn't look to have that many good prospects. I haven't been all too impressed with the talent in either the U-15 or U-14 age groups for LAFC. Ceja's game is very reminiscent of Marcelo Palomino. He shows a very creative ability to advance the ball from a #10 position without high level athleticism. I also thought he showed some of the better passing vision in this tournament. There might be enough offense in his game to play as a #10, and avoid the obvious issues of defense and athleticism that would crop up if he was played as a #8.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that most clubs would work out a deal if a player wanted to go to another team. I know it's happened a few times and I also know some teams ...cough, cough.. Houston.. cough.. have blocked kids from moving. I think if a team is acting vindictively the MLS commissioner should step in and force a compromise.

3. Deevee

Deevee Member

Arsenal
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2019
    You would think that, but I know of a couple of instances where FCD would not release the player and they kid has never even been in the FCD program.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to hear that. Again there should be a mechanism in MLS for aggrieved kids to appeal to.

5. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I agree, but the Commissioner won’t step in because the team isn’t breaking any rules - the very rules that the MLSPA agreed to. I can’t ever see a situation where a club would willingly help out their competition. It’s a shame.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic:
    Parchman: The 20 most exciting Development Academy prospects right now

Antonio Leone — Defender, LAFC
    Moses Nyeman — Midfielder, D.C. United
    Kobe Hernandez-Foster — Defender, LA Galaxy
    Tayvon Gray — Defender, NYCFC
    Jonathan Perez — Midfielder, LA Galaxy
    Gabriel Slonina — Goalkeeper, Chicago Fire
    Ethan Dobbelaere — Midfielder, Seattle Sounders
    John Tolkin — Defender, RBNY
    Nico Carrera — Defender, FC Dallas
    Patrick Bohui — Forward, Philadelphia Union
    Rokas Pukstas — Midfielder, Sporting KC
    Nathan Saliba — Midfielder, Montreal Impact
    Austin Brummett — Forward, Seattle Sounders
    Mauricio Cuevas — Defender, LA Galaxy
    Osvaldo Cisneros — Forward, Sporting KC
    Casey Walls — Defender, San Jose Earthquakes
    Kenan Hot — Midfielder, RBNY
    Dante Sealy — Forward, FC Dallas
    Jacen Russell-Rowe — Forward, Toronto FC
    Tyler Wolff — Forward, Atlanta United

Doogh, CANPRO, Pl@ymaker and 4 others repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think Will Parchman follows the DA closely. I’m nearly sure he got a full time job outside of journalism, and is only a casual follower.

I think it’s insulting to readers who pay for a subscription to advertise him as an expert on the YNT system. I don’t suspect many subscribe due to his work, but I think they do their website a disservice having someone like him write for them.

8. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Poor Will. For the record, the article is pretty interesting and is not just his ranking -- he gathered input from people in the league as well.

There were a couple of names I hadn't seen before, so it was nice to get some video and description there. And I do think the list is mostly rightfully focused on players who are very young playing an age group up.

It was limited to players who haven't played a first team competitive match -- given that, I'm curious who you don't think deserves to be on this list and who should replace them (even allowing for the label of "exciting" not "best").

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    97531 himself is way more knowledgeable.

10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a pretty decent list but I think it should not include kids who are guarentees to not sign with their clubs (Carerra, Perez) or a kid who isnt even playing in the DA currently (Kobe). Nati Clarke, Axel Perez, and Elton Chifamba are who I'd add in. There are others I'd debate shouldn't be in this list but others could also debate that it is fair to put them in here and I'd agree with it.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #786 ussoccer97531, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    It doesn't matter how I view each of those players, and I've give my opinions on all the American ones already on this website. I noticed a few main problems with his analysis that's incredibly easy to pick apart as not having sufficient knowledge on the topic.

He has a few basic errors (Perez fast, Carrera great defense) that I don't think someone who watched these players extensively would make. He also makes the mistake that you often see where players with high goal-totals on good teams, who are not top-level talents (Wolff, Brummett) are listed. Between the two of them, I think he described one facet of the game between the two players, so I suspect he's looking more at the goal totals. He even mentioned that Rokas Pukstas was a huge goal-scorer, likely because of his DA stats. He also left out any type of description, at all, for a few players that might be a little harder for him to see play. There's entirely filler for some of those players. I see nowhere in the article that he uses any quotes from any scouts or talent evaluators.

The Athletic is a very good website for sports. It's probably the best out there right now, but I think they do their soccer coverage a disservice when they hire someone part-time for this role to miseducate the readers who pay for it. They have full time writers in the youth/amateur market for sports such as baseball, football, basketball, hockey. Those writers spend their day watching the youth/amateur market of their sports, talking to scouts/executives, traveling to watch these games. That doesn't guarantee their opinions will be right, but you can't complain that they are doing uninformed work that is of a very poor quality. For soccer, they've decided to solicit someone who has a full-time job in another profession.

I don't think it's beneficial for people who don't know any better to be misinformed by this guy, but I'm only giving my opinion on this website that its a poorly written article by someone who shouldn't be in that type of role. I think a number of people on this website probably have a better grasp of the DA than this guy. It doesn't matter that much though. I'm not trying to criticize this guy that much. He's probably a good guy, but I don't think he has adequate knowledge for that job compared to The Athletic's writers who cover the same market in other sports.

largegarlic, focusondev, Pegasus and 2 others repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'll apply to take over as The Athletic's youth soccer reporter if you'll agree to ghost write my columns. Deal?

largegarlic and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Believe he signed an amateur contract so he is still eligible for ND.

TimB4Last repped this.
  14. focusondev

focusondev Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 15, 2019
    I particularly agree with this quote: "....high goal-totals on good teams, who are not top-level talents (Wolff, Brummett) are listed." Not saying that the top goal scorers don't have talent. Several do, but I have seen too often, first hand, DA players who were top 10 goalscorers in their age group, and had below average technical skills. The game always catches up to those players. People can get a little lazy copying and pasting the top 10 goal scorers on a ranking sheet.

ussoccer97531 and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I'd never bet against sons of pro players or coaches. They all are overachievers. Pulisic, Reyna, Ferreira, Sealy, Weah, Bradley. You look on our top hopes and all of a sudden realize how important knowledgeable parents are. If Carleton had a parent like that he wouldn't be in Atlanta, or Sargent at Bremen. I believe unlike many super duper kids Wolff will be on the NT eventually .

16. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    coaches kids tend to do well but it does usually seem like it’s the kids of the coaches who themselves came close but never quite made it as players

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    We aren't talking about rec league coaches like me. I've never seen Wolff's kid, but pretty sure that he is above average to great athlete who will also have all possible advantages.
    Michael Bradley wasn't among top 10 players on U-17 team or top 5 players on U-20 team and the only one who is even close to him career wise is Jozy, who was a phenomenal talent and had great coaching at Shultz academy. Hyndman who is athletically limited at age of 11 and height of 4'0" or something was practicing with Dallas first team.

18. STANDFAST

STANDFAST Member

United States
    Jun 8, 2018
    Having the advantage of watching a player like you describe over the last four years, I would disagree that they are all driven overachievers because of who their parents are. A few are coddled, primadonnas who have had all the doors opened for them their whole career. Gotta have talent for sure but those opportunities and advantages that come with who your parents are sure give a big leg up.

Runhard repped this.
  19. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I find them to be at either end of the spectrum, with very few in the middle ground.

butters59 repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Ok. I wasn't actually defending the writer nor was I challenging your comment.

I was actually wondering you would put on the list amongst those who haven't had a first team call up. I know it's rare for BS, but an actual honest question. :)

I also haven't seen anyone comment on Osvaldo Cisneros, so if anyone has an opinion on him, I'd love to hear it.

I do agree the list is weird mix of a few, older, high stat guys and then a bunch of interesting, very young players playing up (which caught my eye).

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wolff, Brummett, Cisneros definitely don't belong, IMO. I don't think any of the three will be names you'll remember in a few years.

Perez, Slonina, Dobbelaere, Tolkin, Carrera, Bohui, Pukstas, Sealy are all relevant prospects to some extent (some better than others), but I don't think they belong on a list like this.

The other American players I could see arguments for. A few of them might not be on a list, if I made it, but they wouldn't be that far off.

I don't know about the Canadian players.

gogorath repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    butters59 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I watched a tournament the Union U-17's played recently in Brazil. I'm not going to mention every player from the team or even most. I've mentioned a lot of them before.

These are the main things I think like are worth mentioning from what I saw.

Anton Sorenson is really under the radar. Does so much well. A lot better defensively than you'd think, and he's pretty good going forward with dribbling ability and speed. The '03 age group has a lot of good players, so I don't know how much higher I'd rank him, but he's really good.

Paxten Aaronson isn't anywhere near as good as his brother, and I'm not a huge fan of his brother to begin with. Good DA player. I doubt he'll have a good pro career, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Samuel Jones looked pretty good. I had only seen him briefly before, but I had no problems with how he looked in this tournament. Very generic athletic CB who can defend.

Ryan Lau stock up. Defense and reading of the game looks better.

TimB4Last, dougtee and TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Sorenson. I thought he popped off the screen the first time I saw him for the U16s. I'm really glad he's at Philly and glad to hear he's developing.

TimB4Last, dougtee and ussoccer97531 repped this.