News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice en-plein of kicks in the mouth for MLS teams in CCL, 3 out of 4 are virtually out, the only one that can realistically hope to make it throught is SKC, provided that they don't f... it up as well. But let's continue with the season running from March till October and 5 months off, and we'll watch Mexican teams win the competition for the next 50 years.

griffin1108 repped this.
  2. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Not that I think either will happen in MLS, but I'd guess you see pro/rel before you see us go to a more traditional league/season calendar. And its probably smart for the league to avoid going up against 100% of the NFL/NHL/NBA calendar.

As it stands, NBA/NHL stretch run and playoffs are really just overlapping the beginning of the league calendar. Comparatively speaking, no one goes to the NHL/NBA until after the new year. Hell, the only reason this year's Caps opener was a sellout was because we were raising the banner, otherwise the place would have been a third full like most opening nights the past decade.

Not to mention the weather, it's really only the March games that are awful. April and October can be cold, but not usually awful. Imagine sitting out for 2-3 or ever 4 games a month in November, December, January and February in addition to March. The climate is not great in those months in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, KC, Chicago, Minnesota, New England, NY, Philly, Toronto, Columbus, Cincinnati, Colorado, RSL and Montreal so I don't see how the calendar could ever change. It's basically 2/3 of the league. Even with Nashville and Miami coming into the league its still well above half.

John L repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I think @Theopisa was referring more to the length of the off-season rather than when the season is played. 5 months is a long off-season for players who not only need to be "fit" but "match fit." Look at DCU in the home opener. Most of those players played into November last year. Only Arriola and Canouse got extended workouts in the NT camp before pre-season. Who was one of the more dominant players last Sunday -- Arriola. Not only is he a talent, but he is a talent who was match "fitter" than most of the other players that night. The point being that if its just guys playing against each other all trying to work off their off season beer guts, that's one thing. It's another if you expect those guys to go up against players from other leagues who are match fit. However, I don't see how you could adapt a European schedule here without a substantial winter break. Given weather and other cultural distractions, the league would have to shut down in December and January and re-start in February with a southern loaded home schedule until some time in March. At that point, maybe you do the Apertura and Clausura type of schedule used in Mexico and other places.

Dizi, Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Crystal Palace vs BHA. EPL refs suck, too.

5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Just looked at the MLS injury report. Already in week 2, LAG has both Ibrahimovic and Alessandrini "out" with an Achilles and hamstring respectively. LLetget is "questionable." Also, WTF difference is there between "doubtful" and "questionable" -- it seems one can be "day to day" or "out", the two others are both duplicative and make no analytic sense. Anyone who is injured is "doubtful" or "questionable" based on the injury. In other words if the injury is minor and might resolve before the next scheduled match, the player is "day to day", if it's not, the player is "out" and won't be in the 18 in the next match.

Winoman repped this.
  7. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    In the interests of fairness, nothing is as stupid and arcane as the NHL injury protocol and description. Under that regime, a decapitation would be listed as "undisclosed upper body injury."

Winoman repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is too harsh. The injury is "undisclosed" because the severed head is unable to talk.:)

9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Wow! do the Dallas jerseys ever suck. Don’t nobody ever complain about either of ours.

10. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Galaxy appear to be a mess. Pontius was the starting forward today. LAG were blanked 2-0. GBS might be looking to book return flights to Buenos Aires.

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) Hard to win on the road in MLS. Especially without two top players.

B) Dallas is a good team.

Dizi repped this.
  12. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, we're not going to grow the popularity of the sport by trying to get newbies to come watch the Chicago Fire v. RSL in Bridgeview in late January. :eek:

How about this instead: we'll alternate the timing of the CCL between years. During odd-numbered years, the CCL will be played in the summer. Let's see how well those Mexican teams do playing during their off-season, for once.

Seems fair to me . . .

Kenobi repped this.
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dallas is always a good team. For about 3/4 of the season.

Dizi and benni... repped this.
  14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Their bigger issue is that the guy they brought in to make their defense less hilarious has given away two penalties in two games.

John L repped this.
  18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If all teams send spies into the stadium to ban people who swear, no one would attend games.

ejs1111, Eastern Bear and Theopisa repped this.
  19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Next they'll ban you for saying gigolo

Eastern Bear and Theopisa repped this.
  20. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Exactly, I think we all know that the "p....o" chant is not meant as an homofobic insult but it is some sort of goliardic insult that applies only during the match.
    Spanish is not my language, although I understand and speak it, but I know that even in conversation among firends there is the occasional jokingly insult, like cabron, and nobody get offended by that. It's the same in Italian and probably in all other latin languages. Because it's not the insult in itself, it's the way and the context you say it. And honestly, the idea that a SG member goes tell the FO who sings that, so he can get banned is simply revolting to me. That's not the way I grew up in the stands and I am very happy about it.

ejs1111 repped this.
  21. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they aren’t doing that though. They are cracking down on people chanting slurs at games. Nothing sad about it

22. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What does P**o mean?

23. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fa***t

24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also grew up in stands where it’s acceptable to make monkey sounds af black players and toss bananas their way.

Kenobi, sitruc and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I always was told it meant female dog and many other things.

That Maric.... meant fa***t