2018 Copa América Femenina

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lechus7, Apr 3, 2018.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Maybe an interesting side note... certainly interesting for me:
    People have often said that the rise of MLS, while maybe or maybe not having helped the USMNT, has certainly helped raise the level of other NTs around Latin America (mostly in Central America, but a little around the board as well). Of the four matches that have been played in this tournament so far, three featured players in NWSL or UWS/NCAA; in those three matches, those players scored 4 of the 6 goals. I'd say that's a pretty hefty US-club stamp on the tournament so far!

Lechus7 repped this.
  2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I know little about COMNEBOL, except that Brazil and Colombia are expected to qualify. The rest seem quite evenly matched. Argentina, Chile and Venezuela perhaps have an edge? Banini is a clever player for the Argentines, and they kept it a very respectable 2-1 with Brazil until the closing minutes.

Can anyone else with better knowledge comment on who is expected to advance?

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Advancing from the groups, or advancing to the WWC? You've already identified the 5 teams I'd say have a solid chance at the final 4. Brazil will almost certainly qualify for the WWC, and I'd bet on Colombia for the second guaranteed WWC spot, but for the playoff spot? I honestly don't know. I'd lean on Chile for that playoff spot, since ARG hasn't finished higher than 4th in a while and VEN might be too green still at this point... I could even venture to suggest that Chile might challenge Colombia for the second guaranteed WWC spot, since they've got a good league and are hosting.

Lechus7 repped this.
  4. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Brazil and Colombia are cetainly above the rest.

Then I would say Chile, Argentina and Venezuela are very evenly matched (but lately Chile has defeated Argentina regularly). The host (Chile) did the same thing than the late host (Ecuador) and draw in a group where they should be second place and advance to second stage. And then they only need defeat one team to advance to playoff with Concacaf (just like Ecuador did the last time) and go to the World Cup.

For Chile the tie with Paraguay will hurt them a lot, now the second place will be to the team who sores the most against Perú and Uruguay (and the lack of Chilean finish could leave them out).

On the other group the match Venezuela vs Argentina probably will be decisive.

On the final round (a round robin between 4 teams) Brasil and Colombia should get 1st and 2nd place. For the very important 3rd place (gets a playoff match with Concacaf) if Chile advance to this stage, Chile can defeat Argentina or Venezuela (60-40 chances I would say) but if Paraguay advance, Argentina or Venezuela will get to the playoff match.

Lechus7, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'll admit, I had already forgotten about that draw.... Blotted it out of my mind...

To be fair, though, I don't think it's just who runs up the score on the other two teams. I would wager that Chile is more likely to get a draw versus Brazil and Paraguay is, and likewise Paraguay is more likely to drop points to Peru and Uruguay than Chile is. So I'd still give the edge to Chile, but it's also certainly possible it comes down to GD.

jagum and Lechus7 repped this.
  6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announcer actually calls her "Deyna Castellanolaaaaaaaazo" :laugh::notworthy:

Lechus7 repped this.
  7. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
  8. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Lechus7 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Nice header, Nagasato-like ;)

10. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Lechus7 repped this.
  11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    CHI-CHI-CHI-LE-LE-LE!!!:D:D:D

12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Heh, Rincon is workin toward 2nd YC messing with ref...;)

13. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Chile needs to search the equalizer but equally important is not allow another goal.

Lechus7 repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I started watching about halfway through the first half, and overall I've seen Chile have the better of play almost the whole time I've been watching - certainly more possession. Colombia is just a bit more controlled when they do have possession themselves, though. Been quite the show Chile's been putting on in the past ten minutes, though!

zaku_II and Lechus7 repped this.
  15. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Chile is a very good team, is a shame they lack the strenght to finish their chances.

Lechus7 repped this.
  16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    YES!

zaku_II repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Take a look at your avatar ;) strength? No. Add some more tactical awarness and discipline into this team and you'll have another Spain. :D

zaku_II repped this.
  18. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Uuuf.

Very good result for Chile. Except Paraguay beating Colombia, Chile should be able to reach the last game knowing how many goals need to score.

Chile 1-1 Colombia
    0-1, 49' Catalina Usme (COL); 1-1, 80' Camila Sáez (CHI)

SiberianThunderT and Lechus7 repped this.
  19. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Argentina 3-0 Bolivia
    1-0, 33' Soledad Jaimes (ARG); 2-0, 40' Soledad Jaimes (ARG); 3-0, 81' Mariana Larroquete (ARG)

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, good for Argentina, but I guess Bolivia wasn't going anywhere anyway. :coffee:

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup... Bolivia have never earned points in more than one match per tournament, and often gone 0-4. They're the worst-ranked team in CONMEBOL with a lowly 1217

Anyway, in group A action today, hosts Chile are off and thus could be ranked as low as 4th in the group by the end of the day, but you've got to think that they have 6pts waiting for them in their final two matches. Assuming Colombia beats Paraguay, Chile should be good. Should. Today's Uruguay vs Peru will likely be the match to see who avoids last place.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  22. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Yesterday

Brazil 8-0 Ecuador
    Cristiane 10', 90'+2'; Beatriz 21', 82'; Andressa 48'; Formiga 65'; Rafaelle 70'; Débora 87'.

Today Uruguay-Perú and Colombia-Paraguay

blissett repped this.
  23. zaku_II

zaku_II Member+

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo