2018 CL/2019 CCL Qualifiers, transition [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions League' started by Paul Calixte, Aug 3, 2017.

  1. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it turns out, Guastatoya managed to punk Antigua for the Champions League berth! In a game panned by Guatemala's own footballing press as a snoozer.



    2019 CCL Qualifiers

    1. Sporting Kansas City [USA]
    2. Tigres UANL [MEX]
    3. CF Monterrey [MEX]
    4. Alianza [SLV1]
    5. Toluca FC [MEX]
    6. Santos Laguna [MEX]
    7. Atlético Pantoja (DOM) [CFU1]
    8. Marathón [HON1]
    9. CAI de la Chorrera [PAN1]
    10. Deportivo Saprissa [CRC1]
    11. Toronto FC [CAN]
    12. CD Guastatoya [GUA1]
     
  2. EvanJ

    EvanJ Member+

    Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guastatoya has never been in a CONCACAF Champions Cup or League.
     
    edcalvi repped this.
  3. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does anyone know what tiebreakers are in play in the 2017-18 combined MLS table?

    I ask because while Atlanta United are currently in the lead on 109 points, the NY teams are tied for second on 105. If MLS is applying the same tiebreakers, then the Red Bulls hold second place on 31 wins to 30 for the Pigeons.

    (Also worth noting in this season's MLS table: right now, the Canadian seeding for the next Voyageurs' Cup has Vancouver 1st, Montreal 2nd and Toronto 3rd! :eek:)
     
    IASocFan repped this.
  4. EvanJ

    EvanJ Member+

    Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you're going to find proof either way, but the MLS regular season tiebreakers in 2018 didn't change from 2017, so I would hope that the combined year tiebreakers are the same. What could make it complicated is if the combined year tiebreaker comes from USSF (who decides CCL qualification) rather than MLS.
     
  5. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick Stateside update: while the US Open Cup final (Houston Dynamo vs. Philadelphia Union) is Wednesday of next week, the 2017 MLS Cup hand-me-down berth is also on the immediate horizon.

    Atlanta United lead the 2017-18 table with 112 points; their closest chasers are the NY teams with 106 points each. With only five games left in their respective schedules, the Red Bulls and Pigeons would max out at 121 points, meaning that Atlanta are only three wins away from guaranteeing themselves their first foray into the Champions League - and the first time any team from the Southeast would reach the continental stage. @GunnerJacket @Eleven Bravo

    As well, if wins are the first tiebreaker, Altanta have 32 (to date) to 31 for NYRB and 30 for NYCFC.
     
    IASocFan and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. EvanJ

    EvanJ Member+

    Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I just posted in the MLS drought topic, Atlanta could clinch on September 30. Atlanta won in stoppage time after you posted to go up 9 points. If Atlanta would clinch on September 30 if:

    1. They win this weekend, NYRB doesn't win, Atlanta wins at NYRB on September 30, and NYCFC gets no more than 7 points in 3 games through then including a midweek game
    Or
    2. They draw this weekend, NYRB loses, Atlanta wins at NYRB on September 30, and NYCFC gets no more than 6 points in 3 games through then including a midweek game
     
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we could have two CCL berths wrapped up this week:

    Tomorrow is the US Open Cup Final...and mind you, if the 2017-18 combined table is also used to rank the qualifiers, than Houston or Philly will almost certainly be the lowest one and end up in Pot 2 for the draw (facing TFC or a Mexican side in the CCL R16.

    Then, MLS has confirmed that Atlanta will claim the hand-me-down berth if they beat NYRB on Sunday.
     
  8. dinamo_zagreb

    dinamo_zagreb Member+

    Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    So LAFC could have won the regular season with 100% efficiency (102 out of 102 pts) and end up without CCL berth. :D
     
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  9. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should still be kicking themselves over that USOC semifinal at Houston...could've been playing for their first-ever trophy, at home, in Year 1
     
  10. STR1

    STR1 Member+

    Atlanta United
    May 29, 2010
    McAllen, TX
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Dynamo, the cheapest team of MLS made it to CCL. Great! To bad they won't be facing Guastatoya as that would be a more fair match.

    And I thought Atlanta United needed minimum 4 points more (out of 12 left) to get that spot.
     
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  11. EvanJ

    EvanJ Member+

    Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice that it's the top sports story at the Houston Chronicle's website at https://www.chron.com/sports which I wouldn't expect any of the New York City newspapers to do if the Red Bulls or NYCFC won the USOC.

    If you give Atlanta the most combined regular season points and 2018 MLS Cup, which would qualify the Red Bulls with the second most combined regular season points; the 5 MLS clubs would be Toronto FC (first in salary), Atlanta (tenth), Sporting Kansas city (eleventh), Red Bulls (twentieth, meaning fourth lowest), and Houston (twenty-third, meaning lowest). San Jose is nineteenth in salary. They could win the Wooden Spoon for the fewest regular season points with a higher salary than half of the American CCL clubs. Los Angeles Galaxy have the highest salary of an American MLS club, but they're not in playoff position. Their salary is 38.2% higher than the Red Bulls and Houston combined.
     
    IASocFan and STR1 repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

    Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not true for either half of this statement, I think.

    Remember that the "slots" are decided by the past teams who qualified in that same slot, and the 2018 Open Cup champs were given "slot 4" out of the USA slots for this bridge season. Of USA's four slots "slot 4" is actually second-highest ranked, while the lowest-ranked slot is "slot 2", which is currently unfilled and will be given to the 2018 MLS Cup champion - and barring a miracle/catastrophe, Houston ain't getting "slot 2". So they'll be in the top half of the draw...

    Also, I don't recall this new seeding method ever mentioning that the first round prevents same-country pairings, so technically speaking, USA's "slot 2" could be drawn against any of USA's other slots as well.
     
    ArsenalMetro repped this.
  13. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be non-sensical if that's how Concacaf carried it out - but not without the realm of possibility.

    See: 2018 CCL regulations, Art. II, Subpoint E-4.
     
    SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

    Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah thanks!
    I think that's probably more on USSF's table than it is on CONCACAF's... I agree it would be nonsensical, but from what I can tell of how USSF previously declared it was divvying up its qualifying spots for this year... *shrugs*
     
  15. EvanJ

    EvanJ Member+

    Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta clinched at least a tie with the Red Bulls for 2017 and 2018 points, but if the Red Bulls win both and Atlanta loses both the Red Bulls will have 1 more win.
     
  16. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #116 Paul Calixte, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    It's official: ATL won again to claim top spot in the 2017-18 MLS regular season table and pick up the Champions League berth left over from Toronto's league title last year.

    For their part, the Red Bulls won as well in Philly, leaving them first in line for the hand-me-down if Sporting KC, Atlanta or Montreal (if they survive next week) go on to win MLS Cup.

    2019 CCL Qualifiers

    1. Sporting Kansas City [USA]
    2. Tigres UANL [MEX]
    3. CF Monterrey [MEX]
    4. Alianza [SLV1]
    5. Toluca FC [MEX]
    6. Santos Laguna [MEX]
    7. Atlético Pantoja (DOM) [CFU1]
    8. Marathón [HON1]
    9. CAI de la Chorrera [PAN1]
    10. Deportivo Saprissa [CRC1]
    11. Toronto FC [CAN]
    12. CD Guastatoya [GUA1]
    13. Houston Dynamo [USA]
    14. Atlanta United [USA]
     
    STR1 repped this.
  17. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Concacaf League finished tonight - and how! :eek:



    Only the 2018 MLS Champ is left - or the New York Red Bulls if Sporting KC or ATL take the honors.

    2019 CCL Qualifiers

    1. Sporting Kansas City [USA]
    2. Tigres UANL [MEX]
    3. CF Monterrey [MEX]
    4. Alianza [SLV1]
    5. Toluca FC [MEX]
    6. Santos Laguna [MEX]
    7. Atlético Pantoja (DOM) [CFU1]
    8. Marathón [HON1]
    9. CAI de la Chorrera [PAN1]
    10. Deportivo Saprissa [CRC1]
    11. Toronto FC [CAN]
    12. CD Guastatoya [GUA1]
    13. Houston Dynamo [USA]
    14. Atlanta United [USA]
    15. Herediano (CRC) [CL]
     
  18. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS Cup semifinals/conference finals are set, and everything came up trumps for the Red Bulls...

    New York Red Bulls vs. Atlanta United
    Sporting Kansas City vs. Portland Timbers

    Only Portland winning it all can stop NYRB from returning to the CCL now.
     
  19. EvanJ

    EvanJ Member+

    Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Red Bulls advance, they should root for Portland to win the West to be an easier MLS Cup opponent. If the Red Bulls lose, they should root for Sporting Kansas City to win the West to have the Red Bulls qualify for the CCL. Since the Red Bulls play first, they will know who to root for when the West's second leg starts. It's like in 2014-2015 I would have made money from the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament if any Final Four team other than Duke won, but Duke won.
     
  20. Paul Calixte

    Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

    Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the Café Bustelo at Concacaf's new digs must have inspired them to be more productive! :eek: They've gone ahead and explained the scenarios for the MLS Cup Final.

    Curiously, Sporting KC are already set as USA2. The big question if Concacaf will just send the lowest-seeded US side (ATL or New York, depending) to Pot 2, or insist that the current USA2 pay for their predecessors' sins. If it's the latter, then KC will draw the short straw and will most likely have to face a Mexican side in February.
     
  21. EvanJ

    EvanJ Member+

    Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it "most likely"? Wikipedia doesn't mention a country separation rule. If the USA club in Pot 2 cannot face a USA club in Pot 1, it has an 80 percent chance at facing a Liga MX club and a 20 percent chance at facing Toronto. If there isn't a country separation rule, the USA club in Pot 2 has a 50 percent chance at facing a Liga MX club, a 37.5 percent chance at facing an American MLS club, and a 12.5 percent chance at facing Toronto.
     
    IASocFan repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

    ArsenalMetro Member+

    Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    EvanJ, IASocFan and Paul Calixte repped this.

Share This Page