2018 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In my 10 years as a Red Stars fan, I don't remember being more exhausted than after this one, and the other Red Stars fans around me I believe felt the same way.

What a game!

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And once again it was an assist by Yuki Nagasato! :eek: Nagasato to Kerr + goal is becoming the typical CRS action.

4. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    I sure wish Arin Gilliland a speedy recovery - she is such an important part of CRS. That was an ugly collision. Fishlock was a wrecking ball and not in a good way. She got off easy in terms of calls. One yellow card was lame, IMO. Talking about a nail biter! We needed that win and Yuki is magic! Kerr is a goddess! Our team looked solid tonight and we have some great players off the bench. I was impressed with Morgan Brian last night - I believe her first start, too.

5. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe that was Catley who collided with Gilliland, not Fishlock.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rapinoe was booed consistently after her "complaint" during the time-out on the Arin Gilliland injury.

7. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    According to NWSL website, things are looking better for Arin Gilliland! :D:thumbsup:

Arin Gilliland injury update
    Gilliland was injured on Saturday night

BY JACQUELINE PURDY JULY 15, 2018SHARE
    [​IMG]
    Red Stars defender Arin Gilliland in action this season. (Photo credit: Daniel Bartel/isiphotos.com)

On Sunday morning, the Chicago Red Stars issued an update on the status of defender Arin Gilliland, who was injured on Saturday night vs. Seattle Reign FC. Later in the day, Gilliland tweeted as well.

The Red Stars said that all x-rays came back normal for Gilliland, who later tweeted, “All is well here in Chicago!”

The team said in a statement: “During the Red Stars home game on Saturday, July 14, Arin Gilliland left the match in the 38th minute and was immediately transferred by ambulance to the local hospital for evaluation of a cervical spine injury. Following the tests, all x-rays came back normal. At this time, she is currently resting and will be reevaluated by a team doctor.”

Gilliland’s tweet:

[​IMG]
    Arin Gilliland

@agilli16

Thanks to all the friends , family and fans sending me well wishes. All is well here in Chicago! Great team win last night [​IMG] so proud of this team #MKOT #CRS

12:43 PM - Jul 15, 2018

8. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    Smallchief, thanks for pointing that out! :oops:I was at the game plus watched the replay and my old eyes were convinced it was Fishlock who collided with Gilliland - sorry to Fishlock, too, for my mistake! :(

9. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I am interested in what the Chicago fans think of Brian. I thought she was OK, but pretty static. Not really making special plays. Making simple passes is not a really bad thing just not a really good thing.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #261 MRAD12, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Making simple passes is exactly what she does and what she has done all her career. That's why she is so valuable to the Red Stars and USWNT. She makes it look simple but it is really not. For those who have played this game especially at a higher level know how hard it is to maintain possession and make precise passes that reach their target while people are chasing you all around trying to put a stop to it.
    She has great vision to recognize the high percentage pass. She does it with accuracy and precision.

Many players make passes to just get rid of the ball or what they feel is a high-yield pass but ends up getting cleared or worse, intercepted and counterattacked. Brian plays the game of slow build-up, deliberate, precision, simple passing, a Barcelona style, if you will.

Morgan Brian can also switch direction of play quickly and precisely. Her passes rarely get intercepted. You will rarely see a quick counterattack from a Brian pass.

Morgan Brian's worth is making sharp, simple, precision passes, recognizing and/or switching the point of attack and maintaining possession in midfield. That's why she will always have a place on the USWNT and the Red Stars will be smart to try to keep her for the long term.

Red Star fans recognize her worth, her collaboration with Colaprico, and like her a lot.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They were beating everyone by several goals at the throughout the season but I think they lost several key players due to overseas signings and college commitments.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Brianna Visalli signed for West Ham and I saw her play last Sunday, she is really a good player, very technical and great vision of the game. Did she ever get playing time with the Red Stars ?

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #265 MRAD12, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    cpthomas repped this.
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    She played on the reserve team this summer.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    blissett repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Right. part of me says good, play the kids that were going to play the other day, they deserve it. Another part says, CRS needs those three points. Wish USWNT players were available just in case.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gorgeous day in Chicago today. I'm hoping for a great game.

blissett repped this.
  21. David May

David May Member

Jan 4, 2003
    LaGrange, IL, USA
    I don't think playing sweeper is the best use of Ertz's talents.
    And I don't see Kerr at her best as a solo target striker.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's what's best for the Red Stars right now.

And Kerr is NOT the Solo target. Yuki is up there with her. As a matter of fact, in the game against NC, Kerr was brought back more into the midfield and Yuki was more upfront.

blissett repped this.
  23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was at the Red Stars season ticket holder Meet and Greet at a local bowling alley.
    A lot of fun!

The players were there, bowling with fans, eating pizza, talking, kids getting autographs and adults asking Rory questions.

I still say, the Red Stars have one of the most solid fan bases in the league. We may not get 17,000 ala Portland, but the ones that are there are as dedicated as any you will see in professional sports.

The players seem to really like each other and enjoy being together.

Well said, Rory!

BTW,
    Sam Kerr can bowl!

Fanaddict and blissett repped this.