2018 Away Game Trips

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Ch(Elsey), Mar 16, 2018.

1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw at least one of you guys went to Toronto (well done). And I noticed the self-anointed prince of foreseeing all doom and gloom is going to Philly (jealous). Hang you will have to remind me what it is to be young and carefree, spontaneously deciding midweek to go to an away game that weekend. Ah to be young again.

I have not been on an away game trip since before I had children. That is true. However, I have always loved away game trips. I think my personal record one year was 4/5. When the 2018 schedule came out, I had a tough time trying to find a reasonable away game to attend.

The one that best fits into my schedule is the KC away game over Memorial Day weekend. I had wanted to go to a Philly away game because I have never been in that stadium, but I have also not been to the “newer” KC stadium. The last time I was in KC was with Geeg and @HardHatMike for a “take me out to the ballgame” Crew vs. Wizards. I find it only fitting that game was during the 2008 season. A very good season. 3-0 to the good guys. And I deserved that one because I have seen some real shitshows over the years (I am looking at you Metrostars in 2007, 0-4).

What is the protocol for away games these days? I do try to keep up on the NorOnTour. Does anyone know if they are planning on going? We would still be driving ourselves because that one bus trip to Shitcago was a goddamn disaster. Hey: want to have shit-for-brains controlling your travel/experience for an entire day? Come on the bus!

No thanks. I learned my lesson.

We would love to stand with fellow Crew supporters if any are planning the trip. What is the section in KC that away fans stand in?

2. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Crew Union / NorOnTour does offer Tix only for such fans. I'm not sure if they know if they have enough committed for a trip yet though. Someone on here is much more in the know than I. Sending you a PM with an email of someone who should be in said know.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Email sent.

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm losing track of all the nicknames and titles you've given me. I remain flattered by your hard work.

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I try my best what when I am not writing business emails or term papers.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of you going on terrible road trips, I remember one you and perhaps Geeg went on to DC.

Also... "Crew fans travel to see better soccer" was also epic in all the wrong ways.

There was a terrible road trip last year to TFC which I heard about.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold.

8. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Shit Bus was a pretty epic journey as well.

9. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on out to Chicago. I know the 3-1-Crew is looking to host a great party. If you are coming in without the Nordecke on Tour trip, we are scheduling a bus from our supporters bar. Yes, we have our own supporters bar for the Crew in Chicago which now also serves Brewdog just because of us.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    What bar is this?

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  11. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Graystone Tavern in Wrigleyville

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recommendations on hotels near the KC stadium? I wanted to book this week. This trip will be the 10th anniversary of my first KC-Crew away game. That game was at a baseball field.

13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 Ch(Elsey), May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    “Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna Kansas City.”

Hotel reservations right across from the stadium, tickets through NorOnTour – Check. I may have pestered the BS poster formerly known as myshap to keep on those supporter tickets (thank you!).

I was looking back through photos, and I think my last away trip was in 2011 to Chicago. Seems like a lifetime ago. Add into it that it will be the first away trip for my kids. That this season could be our last. Going out to an away game with my partner in crime since (his) birth, Geeg, is how I envision an appropriate trip. Also, I have a pretty accommodating spouse.

So we are driving out Saturday morning, picking up Geeg in Columbus, and then heading west (wagons east!). After seeing the shows of #SaveTheCrew at the various stadiums this season, I know I have an obligation to bring some #SaveTheCrew stuff. Any ideas? I was thinking about contacting the KC supporters. I know when we were last out there, they were a really good bunch (seriously).

I could go old school with sheets and spray paint like the good ol’ Sack Andrulis days.

hardhead repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring some pink slips for Garber??

Draghignazzo repped this.
  15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I am not sure if I ever told this story on here. Maybe one of the other guys did. When Geeg and I went out to KC, we met up with a bunch of the used-to-be-BS-posters of yesteryear (HHM, kmmc, I forget what goshert’s handle was but his avatar was Crono from CT). I think cleazer is still around here.

That trip reminded me of how large but small the soccer community is in the United States. Somehow they got into a discussion about Bigsoccer (remember this trip was in 08). A bunch of them knew of the pink slips and some of the other hijinks from me (standing in Section 8). One guy laughed and said, “that chick is crazy.” Kevin was like, “hey they know you.”

I am certainly not crazy. More like passionate. At least that is what I tell the docs.

Kryptonite repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Who is blessing me with their presence July 14th at Yankee Stadium?

17. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My wife was just asking me last night if I wanted to go on what could be one last road trip to the slums of Bridgeview on the 23rd of August. I feel sorta obligated to take Connor to at least one road game in case this is our last chance. I sure did hit the jackpot with her.

Draghignazzo and kgilbert78 repped this.
  18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. She is quite the catch. Well done, you lucky guy.