Review: 2018/19 Emerging Portuguese Players

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by The Special One, Jul 8, 2018.

1. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

See the difference? Neither do I.

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I know he’s not a Portuguese born...has he stated in the past he wants to represent Portugal?

3. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Last year the coach at Moreirense said that he would figure for the seleccao one day so I can only assume he had that in his mindset when setting out goals with the coaching staff. We will soon see with the u21 call ups in September

4. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Not getting carried away but Diogo Leite looked very assured for Porto this morning. Showed the qualities which have stood him apart in his youth career.

5. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    He has never been capped for Guiné-Bissau. He will be eligible for Portuguese citizenship. If given the chance to play for the Portuguese NT, he won't think twice obviously.

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watching film on Trincao, I think he becomes our new star. He has the size, skill and poise a forward needs.

7. nickslb14

nickslb14 Member

Oct 23, 2014
    NJ
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Rafael Leao has been signed by Lille. Great move in terms of playing time. Shouldn’t have a problem getting minutes. May have been a year or two too early though...

Also, Zinchenko’s move to Wolves has been called off. Great news for Ruben Vinagre who would’ve became third choice LB for them.

8. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Domingos Quina has signed for Watford, I’m happy that he’ll be getting first team football but concerned it’s the always drama filled Watford who enjoy firing managers on a whim

9. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Ruben Freaking Neves! Beauty free kick.

10. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Ruben Freaking Neves was also the primary reason for Everton's second goal...

He also had a moment where he tried t a spin-o-rama just outside his own 18 that nearly resulted in an opportunity for Everton..

Offensively, there is no denying it. The guy is amazing.. a star.. in possession.. he rarely loses the ball.. but, defensively i also think there is some work to do.. in relation to his positioning..

I question how much of that is due to the players around him.. which from what i saw yesterday (the back 3) are not very solid or anything near world class, which is what he would be surrounding himself with in the NT... World class players.. surely that will take some pressure off him and he wont feel obligated to be every where and do everything..

11. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Agree on some points but he makes that team tick, seemed like all of the attack starts with him. He had a goal and an assist. The backline was weak, boly looked terrible. Jota didnt impress either, sloppy and lots of misspasses.

12. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    guys how did Ruben Dias and Diogo Leite do this weekend?

13. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Both solid and that’s all I want from CBs. Leite is better with the ball at feet but Dias is the harder man in a challenge

14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lets hope Santos starts giving them some game time

15. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Dias needs to start, but I’m happy for Leite to just be a squad member.

16. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    for a 19 year Old Gedson was quite atonishing this morning. The Portuguese u20 team will take some beating at next years World Cup. Such depth in quality

17. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    André Silva isn't exactly neither an emerging nor a confirmed player, but he scored a hat-trick for his debut with Sevilha. Sounds like the biggest flop of all is AC Milan.

18. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Heriberto Tavares scores again. Seems like benfica might not quite know what they have on their hands. The guys output was phenomenal for the B team and seems to of continued his good form on loan for top flight club. Hopefully he’ll get a u21s call

19. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yup, i opened my 'livescore' app on my iphone.. and prior to it loading, i knew i was going to see his name on the score sheet.

It kind of boggles my mind though, i understand and acknowledge that form does play a role in how a player performs on any given day.. but during his roughly 130 minutes of game play in the World Cup 2018, it was if he was completely lost.

My question is.. did the lack of playing time cause a lack of form which caused a lack of confidence which created a rather shocking display from such a young player full of talent?

If he continues to play weekly, with a good scoring record by his name, does he re-gain his place in the starting 11? and if so, do we see the player we all saw during his Porto days and early days with the NT?

20. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    He seems a little different this early season. I had the feeling his goal against Barcelona in a pre-season friendly was going to debunk lots of things, and it's turning out true. I never thought AC Milan was a good option. Italian football is an insane asylum and not suitable for a young player requiring development. 3 goals for a debut isn't bad and may help turn things around for him.

verde-rubro repped this.
  21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Anybody else catch Joao Felix the last 10 minutes of the Benfica match yesterday? He very nearly won the match with the final kick and prior to that made a beautiful pass on a counter-attack that should've been an assist.

The vision, patience and ability to make a difficult pass look very simple were great to see. The English announcer was praising the pass even as the wide-open shot was missed.

22. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Special talent I just hope they don’t rush him. Seems the kind of player you need to bring on slowly

23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Here's a video clip of Ruben Vinagre teaming up with Helder Costa earlier this week in Wolves' league cup win over Sheffield Wednesday. According to most on the Wolves message board I frequented, Vinagre was the MOTM. He doesn't turn 20 until April.

24. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Him and Dalot will be the starting fullbacks for Portugal in time. That 99 generation is just insane!!!! Imagine at next year u20 World Cup

25. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London