2017 WNY Flash

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by BlueCrimson, Dec 6, 2016.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for a shiny new thread to discuss all the latest happenings for the reigning league champions.

CoachJon repped this.
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    FTFY.

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: The team that wins the postseason is considered the champion of the league. No one argued that Portland wasn't the champion in 2013, even though they were not the shield winners.

4. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Fairly certain WNY were the league champions in 2013... ;)

5. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh: I wish. But we don't recognize regular season results, so Portland are recognized as champions for 2013. Same thing with KC the last 2 years and the Flash this year.

6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I do. Winning the league is much more of an accomplishment IMHO than winning the playoffs.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Reign appreciate your support ;)

blissett repped this.
  8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    :laugh: This has been my mantra all along, as much as it pains me that that means Portland was the best team this year. :whistling:

cpthomas repped this.
  9. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    Picked up the jersey (McDonald) and pair of club seats deal during their Black Friday sale.

BlueCrimson, CoachJon and holden repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .....trying to keep track of the evolution of the 2017 roster.....
    from the Flash Press release http://www.wnyflash.com/news/index.html?article_id=477

Options exercised (10):
    Britt Eckerstrom, Abby Dahlkemper, Alanna Kennedy, Courtney Niemiec, Meredith Speck, Makenzy Doniak, Michaela Hahn, McCall Zerboni, Taylor Smith, Lynn Williams.​

Re-signed (4):
    Katelyn Rowland, Abby Erceg, Elizabeth Eddy, Kristen Hamilton
    Expected Allocation (2):
    Sam Mewis, Sabrina D'Angelo​

Offered contracts (2):
    Jaelene Hinkle, Jess McDonald
    McDonald, without qualification said she "will" be back in 2017 on the 2UpFront podcast (12-8-16). I haven't seen anything that says she has signed, or Hinkle has. ​

Retained rights (1):
    Lianne Sanderson​

Acquired Rights (1):
    Rosana
    Rosana has been typically a left back, left midfielder or central midfielder. (Maybe Hinkle is a potential trade. )​

Riley couldn't find a role for the non American-style players Lady Andrade and Jeon Ga-Eul; I'm not sure he will be able to work in a Brazilian, albeit a very experienced and highly regarded Brazilian, who has lots of European experience, even on the defense.

Also, given that Lines had to beg Riley to take the job when Riley was planning a year off, I would love to see a formal announcement that Riley's contract is extended through 2017.

11. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I'm curious if they trade Rowland as 3 keepers seems unnecessary. Labbe potentially leaving Spirit and Wys injured. SB could use an upgrade at keeper. Seattle need a backup. Two good keepers in the draft both with potential for future allocations.

12. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jess McDonald was on Kick This! radio Dec. 10th. At about 28:00 in the podcast, she talked about her call up to the Nats.

http://www.kickthis.com/media/audio/20161210.mp3
    She was called on Tuesday 11/3 for camp on 11/7 - she played in the first Romania game on 11/10. Jill sat down with her after a couple of days in camp and told her she wanted Jess to come to camp in January. ​

BTW, the championship celebration podcast was on 10/15/16:
    http://www.kickthis.com/media/audio/20161015.mp3
    [I have not listened to it yet].

BlueCrimson repped this.
  13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: Rosana and Debinha

In the Paul Riley interview (thanks @jvcb8), he said the only objective he was asked to meet in 2016 was to "keep players in-market." Therefore, I suspect that these signings are anticipated to be two years (even with WC qualifying in 2018).

I also suspect that Riley thinks the youthful run-and-gun* play, while effective, is not sustainable. He has no choice but to morph the team into having a more sophisticated, and sustainable, approach to the game. I also suspect that he had some say in these signings ( as opposed to Ga-Eul, Andrade , and Ayinde), so he is more likely to invest in fitting them into the team.
    *I'm a supporter, so I'm allowed to say it.

I think this year's roster development is going to look like a shuffle board game with pucks sliding in and knocking others out. Messing with the chemistry is fraught with peril. He'd better know which players form the true heart of the team....I think Eddy is one.

14. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachJon repped this.
  15. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    [​IMG]

CoachJon repped this.
  16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why Joe? You have a great and successful thing going on in WNY?

17. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Successful is determined by how much $$$ you can cash out with?

I doubt anyone saw this coming.

18. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    So @CoachJon to continue in the team thread. If you want to catch a game in Boston I can meet you in Albany and drive the 3 hrs there. I think you have a more direct path to SB tho.

CoachJon repped this.
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea! Thanks!:thumbsup:
    .....For me, it is going to be a long wait to see what the 2017 schedule is.​

20. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ninja:

Too early?

21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    really sucks for Flash fans. Their team was in the middle of the league attendance wise. If any team was to relocate, I would have expected SkyBlue to be first. They(WNY) averaged 3,868 in 2016 & won the title. I guess the owners didn't feel that was enough to keep them around. I also assume the Carolina ownership group was pushing hard to get a team for 2017 but were too late to get an expansion team. WNY must have been more than willing to sell the team & relocate them.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They had an OK 2016, but were second-worst in 2015 (only Sky Blue had lower attendance) and consistently have one of the lowest %-capacity numbers - almost always the lowest before Toyota Park and Camping World Stadium became regular home grounds. Their attendance numbers really weren't all that rosy.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on how long it took to get the Orlando Pride Subforum opened up on BS, I think someone needs to start asking for the NC Courage subforum right after the formal announcement Monday

24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect it would be much easier to just edit the name of the existing subforum? Making a whole new subforum is necessary. Plus there's lots of info in this forum, heck in this thread, that I've already found useful.

25. rochesterian80

Mar 28, 2013
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Listened to Kick This. Obviously Soccer Sam has close connections to the two staffers the Flash FINALLY hired before last season in Rochester. Sounds like the Flash were being considered to operate the stadium before the Rhinos new owners came in before last season. Sounds like they were burnt about that, and never had a good relationship with the previous Rhinos owners too. Then, obviously, they were upset over the scheduling conflict due to the city's annual Summerfest concert that forced the Frontier Field game. (And, if I'm a betting person, I doubt the Rhinos opening a Zwiegles stand last year -- Sahlens competitor -- helped much.) So it sounds like the Flash may have made up their mind to move the team to Buffalo. Problem being, Buffalo has no decent venues. They made it sound like the league may have said no to whatever venue they proposed. (Maybe All High where Buffalo FC plays?) So that forced the move.

And, in defense of the City of Rochester, if I had my choice between a local couple with NBA ownership experience, and the Flash -- a team up until last year made the pro sports business a side job for their employees in their primary businesses -- I can't blame them for the path they took. The Flash usually put a great product on the field, but they were frustratingly inept off the field. Most years you wouldn't see an ounce of community outreach until June or so when they did adopt-A-team. And, obviously, playing over an hour away from where they practiced was problematic. They opened a small office in Rochester last year -- entering, ahem, their sixth season in Rochester -- which was finally a step you'd expect from a professional organization. And they made some strides -- some sponsors, some actual giveaways -- despite being a team of (before the season) unknown players lacking star power. Sadly, they now are names, but we won't get to see them.

We have to thank the Flash for everything on the field. But off-the-field they left much to be desired. It really did feel like a hobby to support his daughter and son-in-law's sports interests much of the way with lots of on-field interest and not much interest in bodies in the stands.

msilverstein47 and CoachJon repped this.