2017 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by StevenLa, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm guessing Miller is on the hot seat big time at Pitt. Just saw their 2017 schedule and he is quoted about them being "young." Also said the same thing in 2015. Can't keep saying you are young every other year, clearly using youth as a excuse even though he is in year 6. If no progress I'm thinking Pitt will finally see reason and make a change for the better.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  2. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    hahahaha great deduction. We will be leaning on you to decipher every word spoken from this point on. # Don't disappiont us now :)

MAGA DTS! repped this.
  3. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Dean has retired from college coaching.

4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I will do my best but it will be a big challenge since I'm very young at the task you have given me.

5. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It looks like he has a kid who just graduated high school. Don't soccer coaches get free offspring tuition? Why would he walk away now?

6. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Perhaps more to the story than simply quitting coaching? Perhaps not. For a guy who has been with Greg Ryan this long, it would seem that there would at least be a mention of his retirement on the UM Women's soccer website with some platitudes for his service, especially if retiring.. Not a word on the website. Very odd. If I find out any more, I will pass along, but I wish him well in his retirement (be it temporary or permanent).

7. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe he's over trying to make kids make life decisions when they are 15 years old and therefore sees the ethical dilemma in getting a youngster to make that type of commitment. Maybe he's over trying to base his livelihood on kids that haven't developed physically or mentally and are 3-4 years away from doing so at which point it becomes a lottery of who has matured and developed and who hasn't. Maybe he's over trying to please an administration that wants to win yet also make all of his kids happy at the same time, which is impossible. Who knows. I don't get why college coaches do what they do. I could see why he would want to get out.

8. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    From what I heard, he "retired" about 10 years ago. Michigan
    You can always tell the jaded fired college coaches on here.

An alternate way to look at things:
    They make good money and "work" coaching soccer at a pretty good level with above average to exceptional resources. Shoot, they could pay me half of what I make currently to do that job and I'd take it.

From what I heard, he "retired" a long time ago. Michigan is one of the most under-performing college programs in the country. Penn St has done a really nice job of taking advantage of the fact that their 2 biggest threats (OSU and Mich) don't actually pose a threat at all.

outsiderview repped this.
  9. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #134 Holmes12, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    But with one kid at UM and another just graduated high school, he'd willingly flush those admission/tuition freebies away? I could maybe see if it was some scrub school... Weird...after all these years...in the middle of reaping or whatever...I don't see him willingly blowing it for his offspring.

As far as under-performance at OSU, UM, etc. it's getting tougher for northern synthetics and/or cold skools. PSU has begun a correctional fade itself.

10. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ouch. Not disagreeing, but ouch.

I guess they probably should have a B1G title or two, but always seem to fall a bit short. Always competitive but always fall short with the exception of a couple of years back when the 6 foot Canadian 'linebacker' could be counted on to knock a few people around and get a goal when needed. Definitely don't play a pretty game of soccer - that's on Ryan.

Duerst ran the defensive side which has been (and will be this year) solid - although playing numbers behind the ball and going for the long counter attack down the wing doesn't necessarily work against good sides. As I said, I wish him well.

11. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Tell that to WVU and Minnesota. I agree that it can be easier in some ways to recruit in better climates but the north still has a lot of quality programs. Michigan's issue down just as much to Greg only really listening to himself and not being flexible to change. Him and Hempen have the same problem where their assistants generally just pick up cones. The progressive coaches these days seem to be the ones who work as a staff and everyone is involved not just the head coaches who think they know everything.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Spoken like a troubled college assistant coach tired of picking up cones!

Read about Abby Wambach's experience. She hated the heat in Florida and went down there for her college preseasons usually on the very last day possible and then spent lots of her pro years back in upstate NY. There will always be folks who love northern climates and hate the Southern heat. No amount of football money can change the fact you break a sweat the second you step outside the door in August in most of the SEC, and even Big 12.

In case you missed it, Portland State did put an ad up Friday. Not too hot there.
    http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/9105770/head-coach-women-s-soccer

13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I'm in total agreement with you that the northern teams can still be national power houses that was the point I was making.

Thanks for the heads up about the Portland State job. If I ever get tired of picking up cones I will just follow Greg and Bill and just have my assistants do that :)

14. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #139 Holmes12, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
    The exceptions you can count on one hand point out the normalized trend. Whatever that means.

NC State >= Minnesota (remember?). Minnesota is nothing nationally.

WVU...they tapped into the Canada national program but will fade as internationals proliferate and get more choosy. Also, WVU coach is willing to go to lengths where most major college coaches won't go. quoting Gump, "that's all I've got to say about that"

Take lacrosse, Syracuse is no longer the omnipotent force with proliferation elsewhere. It hasn't penetrated south but is southerly. Better choices out there than that snow, indoor junk. "Bubbles" and tire chunx are fluorescent, smelly and depressing.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I'm interested to see how this trend continues. I still think teams in the north can have great programs that can challenge nationally (admittedly i coach in the north east so have a bias) and regardless of the quality of the teams in the south there is the ability to compete basically anywhere in the country. Maybe the final four should alternate between the mid south and mid north yearly to see how teams adjust to the climate and if it's an advantage to northern programs.

16. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Well, UCLA played West Virginia in the quarterfinals (yes?) last year--at West Virginia, on a field covered in snow, and while the conditions handicapped both teams, I have to think it was a bit more difficult for the Bruins.

17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Totally agree weather can be a huge factor and It can be the same the other way around too. We have played in Texas in August before and to say the heat was a disadvantage to a team from the northeast is an understatement. I think that's part of the beauty of it different areas of the nation have different advantages.

18. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Back on track ladies & gents...

Marist
    Portland St
    UAPB?

That's it, correct?

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I have, except that I've seen a report (from a poster who seems credible) that Hoover will be the UAPB coach,which matches your ?

20. soccer1212

soccer1212 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    42 Openings
    39 Filled

Nevada - Erin Otagaki (Nevada Co-Interim Head Coach)
    Southeastern Louisiana - Chris McBride (South Alabama Assistant Coach)
    Dayton - Eric Golz (Illinois State Head Coach)
    Chicago State - Kevin Meek (Assumption College Head Coach)
    Omaha-Nebraska - Tim Walters (Omaha-Nebraska Men's Assistant Coach)
    Mississippi State - Tom Anagnost (NC State Assistant Coach)
    Kentucky - Ian Carry (Kentucky Assistant Coach)
    Southern Utah - Fred Thompson (DOC Thurston County United SC)
    North Dakota - Chris Logan (Northern Iowa Head Coach)
    Arizona State - Graham Winkworth (South Alabama Head Coach)
    Texas A&M Corpus Christi - Craig Shaw (Fort Hayes State Head Coach)
    Bowling Green - Matt Fannon (Wittenberg University Head Coach)
    Cleveland State - Dallas Boyer (Cleveland State Assistant Coach)
    Davidson - Adam Denton (Davidson Associate Head Coach)
    San Diego - Louise Lieberman (UCLA Assistant Coach)
    Villanova - Chris McLain (Ohio State Associate Head Coach)
    Gonzaga - Chris Watkins (BYU Associate Head Coach)
    Houston - Diego Bocanegra (Notre Dame Assistant Coach)
    Delaware - Mike Barroqueiro (NC State Associate Head Coach)
    Alabama A&M - Emanuel Stephens (Youngstown State Assistant Coach)
    South Alabama - Richard Moodie (Carson Newman Head Men's & Women's Coach)
    Wagner - Phil Casella (Mississippi State Assistant Coach)
    UMass Lowell - Francesco D’Agostino (UMass Lowell Men’s Assistant Coach)
    FIU - Sharolta Nonen (East Carolina Assistant Coach)
    Albany - Nick Bochette (Albany Associate Head Coach/Interim)
    Northern Iowa - Bruce Erickson (Wayne State College Head Coach)
    Illinois State - Brad Silvey (Illinois State Assistant Coach)
    Troy - Ged O'Connor (Saint Leo Head Coach)
    Cornell - Dwight Hornibrook (Cornell Assistant Coach)
    LIU Brooklyn - Eleri Earnshaw (Yale Assistant Coach)
    Utah Valley - Chris Lemay (Cal Berkeley Associate Head Coach)
    Liberty - Lang Wedemeyer (South Dakota State Head Coach)
    Oakland - Juan Pablo Favero (Associate Head Coach San Diego State)
    South Dakota State - Brock Thompson (South Dakota State Assistant Coach)
    Rhode Island - Megan Jessee (Wake Forest Assistant Coach)
    Alcorn State - Junior Noel (Copiah-Lincoln CC Head Coach)
    Grambling State - Justin Wagar (Portland State Assistant Coach)
    Xavier - Nate Lie (Cincinnati Associate Head Coach)
    Alabama Birmingham - Erica Demers (Iowa Assistant Coach)
    Arkansas Pine Bluff –
    Marist -
    Portland State -

21. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

22. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I hope one day you will let us all know what Miller did to you CW. Its been 4 plus years of Anti Miller rhetoric. I wouldn't want to cross you my friend. It would be an ongoing battle. :) You may be in for another disappointing get rid of Miller campaign. Look on the bright side. One day he will leave Pitt. It may not be in the timely manner you would like to see it happen though :(

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I think there are plenty of examples of why I placed Miller on the hot seat if you go through past threads but I can remind you:

- poor results that haven't led to the program progressing (I thought they may have turned the corner in 2015 but apparently not)
    - shocking treatment of Assistant coaches: look at how he blindsided his assistants to save his own skin.
    - poor treatment of athletes. Look at how many kids have gone out the door since he's arrived.

Maybe it seems to you like he has done something to me but basically all the red flags in a program have been mentioned here.

I have been critical of other programs on here but mostly because of lack of results. However the Pitt saga seems to be ongoing with more posters than just myself.

Again 2017 Hot Seat: Pitt is hot.

24. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Saladking, I mean Mrs. Miller, do you really need reminding?
    Mr. Miller got the job at Pitt and promptly threw Pitt student-athletes directly under the bus to make room for "his players" that were supposed to be "ACC caliber".
    4 years later, Pitt finished dead-last in the 14 team ACC and only won 2 overall games. So, terrible treatment of players, terrible coaching, terrible recruiting, and even terrible scheduling! Not even mentioning the treatment of the staff just this year.

Yes, I know the family of a player that had her college career ended at Pitt by Mr. Miller so I won't easily forget, but how can anyone objectively say the program is headed in a good direction? Only the most die-hard Pitt homers would defend this guy, who by the way, is not even a PA or Pitt guy.
    If you're going to treat people like crap AND not even get results, why do you deserve the opportunity to coach at a place like Pitt?

Collegewhispers repped this.
  25. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    When you have a free moment just post us some facts. You seem to have a real pulse on Miller and the Pitt program. I hope you are not too disappointed after the 2017 season :)