2017 (1st half of season) Starting XI

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by phoenixhazard, Feb 2, 2017.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So looks like we have our squad for at least the first half of 2017, so what do you all think our ideal starting xi looks like? I think the biggest challenge is playing Lletget in, arguably, his best position as a CM/CAM since Gio operates in a very similar space.

I think we see this:
    -----------------------Zardes---------------------------
    ---Lletget-------------Gio------------Alessandrini---
    ----------------Jones----Joao Pedro------------------
    Cole--------Van Damme----Steres-----------Rogers
    ------------------------Rowe--------------------------

I think this could be very interesting but not sure if our players can execute the system or if we will ever see it:
    Zardes---------------Gio---------------Alessandrini
    -------------Lletget-------Jones----------------------
    -------------------Joao Pedro-------------------------
    Cole--------Van Damme-------Steres-------Rogers
    ----------------------Rowe-----------------------------
    *this fundamentally changes our system and our players must be able to do a tikki taco system again and keep the ball on the ground giving it to Gio's feet consistently. He simply can't play a target position. This would definitely make our midfield very strong, could make Gio a false 9, and SUPER relys on Cole, Zardes, Ale, and Rogers to give us all our width. Cole may not have the legs for it, Rogers the footwork

The Cadaver and jscott23 repped this.
  2. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Third-act twist.

3. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like to see us try a 3-5-2. Best 11 seems well suited to this formation

------Zardes-------Gio
    Aless/Boateng---Lletget---Rogers/Alles
    -------Pedro------Jones
    Cole------JvD-----Steres
    -----Rowe

4. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think if you play Zardes as a "Target Winger" it might work, but I think we're better off if Zardes can occupy the central defenders to give the space behind him to do Gio things.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  5. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We'd need to be 2 deep on each wingback and we're not. I also wouldn't like to see Cole in a back 3. AJ would have been great there.

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everyone is healthy, I expect Phoenix's first lineup to be what we see. I think that puts pretty much everyone in the position where they play best, and are most comfortable.

jscott23 repped this.
  7. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Based on Onalfo's quotes where he refers to #6, #8, etc. I think this is it.

Then there are variations that use McBean, Husidic, Boateng too. Or the likely what to do when Jones is injured.

8. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The starting 11 seems to pick itself. Only Boateng to me could have a reasonable shout to start at the expense of anyone in the expected 11.

That's not a good thing, by the way. Would be better if we had a back ups that were closer to the starters but its hard in MLS.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  9. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't know - I think we're kind of spoiled. In the past typically there would be one or two players who you would wish weren't in a starting lineup. Last year was kind of an aberration where we had a lineup where 12-15 seemed like a good idea to insert often because we have such great veteran depth, but maybe that's because certain starters were performing at such a low level. To me this year's lineup on paper has only maybe Steres who has something to prove to solidify his standing as MLS starter. But as they say about lineups on paper...

10. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think that's it too. If you want to get fancy, in the attack it spreads out as:

-------------------Zardes---------------------------
    ------------------------------Gio--------------------------
    ---Lletget-----------------------------Alessandrini---
    ----------------------Jones-------------------------------
    ------------------Joao Pedro---------------------
    Cole--------Van Damme----Steres-----------Rogers
    ------------------------Rowe--------------------------

with Jones as the 8 and Joao as the 6.

natfaninla repped this.
  11. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting where Alessandrini plays actually. He's left footed, so playing him on the right would make him an inverted winger. That's where he played mostly for OM. However for Rennais he played on the left wing.

mbar repped this.
  12. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Alessandrini can play both sides effectively it will provide flexibility on the wings as Letgett and, to a lesser degree Boateng, can play both sides also. Lineup flexibility and in play dynamics which should tend to confuse defenses.

13. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the logic in having a top heavy lineup, with the majority of the payroll applied to an obvious starting 11. The MLS is getting another expansion team next year. 12 teams have applied for a future expansion team. I suspect all will eventually get one.

I think MLS is going to expand to 40 teams eventually, by 2030. I also think USL is going to be at 40 teams as well. At that point we're going to see either a firm West/East leagues to cut down on travel costs and extensive road trips. Or we will see some form of pro/rel from 1.MLS to 2.MLS and seperatlly 1.USL to 2.USL (sorry NASL).

That being said, we're going see too many expansion drafts for the next 13 years. What's the point of signing quality players across the board. If we can have 11 studs, one in each position, and surround them with quality HG players that we've developed I think that will protect the team from being poached. All that time, effort, and scouting won't be wasted on players that will benefit other clubs.

The Cadaver, 73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that soon expansion will mean we are like the NFL and stop playing every team in the league every season. Even at 28 teams, you play home and away in your conference and then just play 8 teams in the other conference (4 home and 4 away) to make the current 34 game season (if my math is correct, which isn't always the case).

The Cadaver repped this.
  15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how I see it. Gio is more of secondary striker than a playmaker. Zardes gets to be up top finally and he can spread the defensive line. Gio can finally comfortably check into the midfield

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. That would be the safe bet for the lineup and formation...

17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we really want to get fancy and we had the system to execute a more advanced formation then this would be very VERY interesting.

-----------------------------Zardes---------------------------------
    -------------------------------Gio-----------------------------------
    Boateng-----------Lletget---------Jones------------Alessandrini
    ----------------------------Joa Pedro-------------------------------
    ------------------Cole----Van Damme---Steres------------------
    -------------------------------Rowe---------------------------------

Alessandrini and Boating would have to get back and really be smart with their runs which I doubt they are that type of player. However, who knows... If Moses can do it then I feel like anyone can learn. I also think Cole would be a perfect fit for this system with his aging legs and he still has the brain for it.

18. Beep Boop Robot

Mar 11, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The issue I have with Cole playing as LCB in a 3 man backline has to do with his size and his speed. He'd be tucked in more centrally and I think teams would target as the weak link in our back line. Assuming we had 5 midfielders we'd most likely (hopefully) be in control of the game possession wise and my guess is we'd play a high line. For as smart as Cole is, giving any forward 30 yards behind Cole to run onto is a dangerous proposition.

19. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    I know we were playing a 4-4-2 in both lineups last night, but anyone who was there and could see the actual movement have a sense of whether it really operated like that in practice? Seems like McBean and Lassiter are too different as players to mimic the positioning of Zardes and Gio, but otherwise it felt like a Bruce formation where an outside back like Lletget was free to roam inside as needed.