2016 UCLA

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Persin, May 8, 2016.

1. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Last month, the Bruins got $5 million towards their new 3,000 seat soccer stadium with construction slated to commence this fall. Wonder if this'll help in their recruiting.

2. D1bound

D1bound Member

Feb 7, 2015
    I don't think UCLA needs any help with recruiting, but a new soccer stadium wouldn't hurt.

3. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    UCLA made the switch from Adidas to Under Armour for $280 million, the largest college deal ever starting in 2017. Have misgivings about the UA soccer uniforms, though. To me, Notre Dame always looked better in Adidas.

4. bluesky222

bluesky222 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would be more worried about having to play in those UA soccer boots ...ouch.

5. LanceMyBoil

LanceMyBoil Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Santa Cruz
    Doubt if Under Amour will be as bad for UCLA as Reebok was.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't the kit sponsors.

7. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are they refurbishing the current stadium, or building a new one at a different location? The current facility is not an enjoyable venue to watch soccer. Stadiums with tracks around them put the fans too far from the action. Also, I think their current locker rooms for soccer are less than par, and the restrooms take a hike to get to. Glad they're investing in the sport.

8. Persin

Persin Member

Sep 7, 2015
    The soccer stadium site will be the North Athletic Field, where the Bruins now practice, traditionally play their preseason scrimmages and was their home field before relocating to the awful behemoth known as the Drake track stadium.

9. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh
    The Bruins have another recruit headed to Westwood for their 2016 class. Maki Umehara from Japan. She is an extremely skilled center midfielder/forward. With 8 freshmen and 1 transfer all with international experience this will be a truly amazing recruiting class that will do some big things. Don't be surprised if they end up winning the Pac 12 this year.

10. bluesky222

bluesky222 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Seems weird they are even going to play the season with a team this good in the Pac 12. Congratulations to the Bruins on their upcoming titles.

11. Really?

Really? Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Club:
    Al Nasr Riyadh

Okay douche. Sorry that you are such a hater. You will see. Time will tell the tale.

12. bluesky222

bluesky222 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not a hater at all. I have always admired the great athletes and the good soccer played by UCLA.
    Here is to hoping that your daughter has her mothers dignity and class. Good luck on your season.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  14. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  15. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I said it months ago and I'll say it again. Mal Pugh will never play a game for UCLA. She is gonna play in the Olympics, win a gold medal and go pro. Her endorsement deals after the Olympics are gonna make college an afterthought. She will sign a national team contract in January and probably be pissed she didn't do it when she had the chance earlier this year

16. Bleed Blue

Bleed Blue Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she does sign a contract, she'll be better off doing it after a successful Olympics stint rather than just after the NWSL draft.

17. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Does Pugh receive compensation for playing in the Olympics? If so, wouldn't she lose her NCAA eligibility?

18. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No. She passes on more than 100k if they win gold and the money for the victory tour if she chooses to stay an amateur. This, IMO, will not happen In fact, I wouldn't be all to surprised if she goes pro next week so she can get paid for the Olympics. Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised

19. Oredigger

Oredigger Guest

And on top of that would be the money that the Thorns have offered her to play. Plus I am sure Nike is waiting to sign her up.

20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Reminds me of when unc thought we had Lindsey Horan coming in....except that Pugh is much better. Truly that once a generation player

21. LockDownD

LockDownD Red Card

Jan 26, 2015
    It's funny how many people on these boards that poo pooed Pugh and I seem to remember several that think Deyna Castellanos is a better player! Unfortunately most have no clue. Pugh is still going to UCLA. She won't be going pro or signing some Nike deal. This is the USWNT. They love free labor and although it would be awesome to see a passing of the torch to her this summer the truth is that Rapinoe and Heath will be in the game when it counts. It's a lot easier to defend a bad result with your veterans on the field than it is if you go all in on youth. My bet is that she is a second half sub in most games.

22. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    When you say 'sign a national team contract,' you mean sign a contract with the U.S. National Team, which would entitle Pugh to compensation for national team play that she's not currently not eligible to receive? I too think it unlikely that she will play much if at all for UCLA. She ought to make money while she can; you never know when an injury could ruin your career. You can always get a college degree.

23. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    It's very upsetting that Pugh won't be in a ucla uniform this fall. I don't know why she's even considering joining the under 20 team. Being an Olympic gold medalist (most likely) should be enough, and the under 20 team don't really need her services to win. Jessie Flemming will be in Westwood after her time with the Canadian national team, you think Pugh would do the same. Sad for the Bruins, as I had them in the College Cup Finals with her. Doubt they make it without her now.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're nu -- <karch>we appreciate your (thoughful pause) enthusiasm.</karch>

Even with Pugh, I think USA's backline is going to get whooped and torched by Japan or Spain, if we even get that far. I give us a fighting chance to advance from Group C (FRA, NZL, GHA) in 2nd place, but 3rd is way more likely than 1st. France might just whoop us, too, being 2016 UEFA-19 Champion (over Spain, who probably should have won).

We're not all that at U-20. Japan won 2014 WWC-17, then those players whooped us 3-0 at 2015 NTC, and 5-0 this May in the PNG warm-up mini-tourney. Those were against our 1st-choice backline, before some cycle-long starters made the choice to not-redshirt, so we can't possibly be stronger now.

Pugh is with the U-20s because it's quixotic. Every kid dreams of being Leia Skywalker flying down the trench.