2016 Rio Olympics U-23

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jsk14, Oct 23, 2014.

1. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

LWJ is like three times bigger than her

shinović89 and skimmilk repped this.
  2. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I've never seen a keeper save a pk, then gets called back to kick it again then save the second one AGAIN... I've seen first one saved/second one scored or visa versa, but never two saves in a row, lol. Well done to Kim DJ all day today, I guess that's why former captain Lee CG is benched.

We went out in the back with a 3-back today and we honestly didn't look that good (those Hondurans are U-20 I think?), but got the goals when it mattered, so good for them to find a way to win.

Thailand is losing to Uzbekistan I think, hopefully it sticks and we'll be looking very likely to lift the cup.

olijolly repped this.
  3. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    i approve. she can be our miss carneiro.

Jitevra and chook90 repped this.
  4. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #129 ChaDuRi671, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    thailand "A" team just lost 2-5 to Uzbekistan U22. Personally, I liked what I saw from the two Uzbek youngsters, Iskanderov and Sergeev. (These two played in the Asian Cup) Sergeev, in particular, had his way with the thai defense today. Hold up the plays very well. These two definitely have a bright future with the Uzbek national team.

Also, another Uzbekistan player was sent off with a red today. Don't know what his name was. (Look like Denisov with curly hair.) The red card was complete bullshite. He only had a small argument with a thai player.

Anyway, thanks to the Uzbeks, all we need is a tie against the thais to bring this useless cup home. Hopefully, the ref won't be fcukin' biased like today's one.

5. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Lee Sang Yoon's biased commentary FTW,

When the PK was told to be retaken

"That's a ridiculous call!"

Sees the replay

"Oh man, how did the linesmen catch that"

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

I love the guy for NT games, totally 100% biased but at least so straight up about it, lol. It's like watching pro wrestling commentators almost.

nmssis repped this.
  6. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hodori repped this.
  7. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail

8. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Wow... Well, first of all, I hope Lee GJ will be alright... Seems like a serious enough medical problem that'll go beyond March... That's probably why he stepped down.

But obviously we get a very capable coach in Shin TY, I'm sure many would argue he will be better coach than Lee GJ (or at least more pleasurable to watch). So no problems there, but the issue will be with Stielike's senior NT side now that the assistant coach is stepping down... I guess we'll see just how much input Shin had in the NT squad in the AC, but nonetheless a major blow to the senior NT.

9. brood915

brood915 Member+

Oct 14, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  10. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Seol Korea and chook90 repped this.
  11. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    First off, I pray Lee GJ recovers and gets back to full health. When jitevra posted that he returned due to constant, persistent fevers, I was really worried. Now, I'm truly concerned as this is tragic news and hope he has a match marrow donor.

As for Shin TY, although his appointment follows tragedy, I think this is best for his future along with the future of our younger generation (including Lee SW's generation).

As for the senior side, Shin TY was being wasted in that role as either a no.2 or no.3... I don't mind if the open spot goes to someone like Yoo SC... We'll see...

chook90 and Chaminator repped this.
  12. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Apparently Shin TY has already headed out to Thailand to catch our last match against the home team. Not to coach right away obviously, but to start scouting his squad right away.

Luckily the first round of Olympic Qualifiers is looking to be a walk in the park, so he'll have some time to figure things out to his liking.

Also curious on how soon he'll be calling up the Barca kids, especially LSW. IIRC in a recent interview STY was quite high on his potential.

13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Despite all the flak he got about LYJ, this is horrible news. I can only imagine what his family going through right now..

We saw a glimpse of what STY can do with our senior NT so this looks like a good move. If our Barca kids get incorporated that would be great, so we can see them playing above their level and how they cope.

chook90 and nmssis repped this.
  14. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wouldn't mind it if we call up the Barca kids for the first round of the qualifiers, as they're against minnows anyway; if they can't cut it against them then that's that, it would mean that they are not ready and we'll move on. It's not as if they're getting any meaningful game time at Barca anyway, so I'd say get these guys some competitive ball action any way we can. I'm sure Barca would be open to it too.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  15. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    My fear is that LSW does too well and unrealistic expectations are set...

BSH should be fine to handle it in all likelihood.

16. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Shin TY choice I think also came down to the fact that he's had a very good track record in managing teams in tournament situations, with his FA Cup and ACL wins, etc (and if you want to count as an assistant, the recent AC).... which is important as the Olympic qualifying is a tournament format this time (need to finish top three... one blip in the round of 8 and we'd be out!) instead of a league format.

Come to think of it, we didn't really have many other choices... as most other coachs already have other duties they're committed to, with HMB's still very much in exile (and not sure if he'd want to coach in the Olympics again anyway) and Ahn Ik Soo only recently started coaching the U-19 team thanks to Kim Sang-ho's utter incompetence.

So in all, a rather forced yet good and sensible choice in STY... just hope that it won't take too much away from the balance of things with the senior squad.

chook90 repped this.
  17. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    who makes the decision? lee yongsoo?

18. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Does anyone actually have higher expectations than the kid himself? We all remember the 'beating Japan easily' comment he made in that interview lol. I don't think anything like this will phase that kid.

19. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah come to think of it the only realistic (and swift) choice to be made was to appoint STY. I'm just worried about what his sudden absence will mean to Stielike's senior setup. Come to think of it, only coach Armua will remain.

20. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This is a shocking news. You cant imagine what Lee Gwang-jong is going through because he wanted to coach the Olympics so bad. He worked all that time in youth tournaments & Asian Games just to coach in the Olympics.

This is what our technical committee do in the meeting. They had a meeting yesterday at 6pm and decided on Shin Tae-yong. But the reasons for Lee Gwang-jong was not revealed at first because Lee Gwang-jong did not want to tell people of the news. He didnt want his players to be shocked :(

21. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  22. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My thoughts and prayer for LGJ and his family.

23. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  24. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just want to make sure; the Thailand game is on at 9pm KST (so 7am EST), correct? I wasn't able to catch the other games live but want to catch this one.

You know the players will be emotional and motivated for this one. Win this one for LGJ, no matter how meaningless it is. Tie will be enough to win the competition but obviously we'll go for a win I'm sure.