2016 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Lagerway said that Dempsey, Martins, and Valdez missed a combined 51 games last season. Of course if Morris is away with the national team he'll miss some of the same ones.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On Wiki it says the Home match in March will be in San Jose.

Is there any truth to this rumor? I know Wiki is not the most reliable source so I was wondering if anyone around here had any idea.

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's truly a rumor. Goff tweeted about it a couple weeks ago, but not confirmed.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a rumor. But wiki has been changing randomly for months now.

And yes I have been checking is regularly. :(

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks.

San Jose would make a lot of sense though. There's really not a big Colombian- American population out there in California, the weather would be ideal in March, they have a nice new Small stadium with a good MLS fan base to turn to in order to cultivate a Pro-USA feel.

But let's see what actually happens.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. Like 400 people showed up for the games in KC and Denver

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    bballshawn repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    692354627413610496 is not a valid tweet id

No idea about reliability of source.

I wonder if this game will be around the time of the Dallas Cup.....................
    Built-in pro-US crowd????????? I believe the Dallas Cup is March 20-27. Does that work?

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Frisco, Texas eh?

Well, I have no idea what to say about that.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Similar info, this time from Goff:

692415413972508672 is not a valid tweet id

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha this is the first time I've seen a date.

Looks like these will be during the FIFA dates

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They're also hosting the Women's Olympic qualifiers in Frisco, along with Houston.

The Hunts are really working hard to make the Toyota Stadium complex a core site for the USSF. They've also convinced the US Soccer Hall of Fame to move there. A 40 million dollar renovation about to the stadium is underway as well.......................

It seems like Dan Hunt has really caught the "soccer bug" that Lamar had. They're spending a lot of money. They're not spending it on overpriced DPs for the first team so its not as "seen" as at other clubs.

If we're talking about a venue that'll have great weather for the event in March, Texas is one of the obvious choices. The date mentioned above is a couple of days after the Dallas Cup ends.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Great weather" when playing a team from Colombia in March is always subject to interpretation. Minnesota may be the *ideal* location.

deejay repped this.
  15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm puzzled why Columbus has yet to come up.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Frankly, this is probably a "money losing" event. I wonder how much interest there is out there in hosting it.

17. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus is already booked for that night. Apparently a doubleheader was not considered.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Choosing a cold weather site could be counter- productive in two major ways:
    1) As stated and implied it is going to be a tough sell for fans to go to a game like this in good weather. In Cold weather nobody may want to show up.
    2) If Colombia takes care of business in hot, humid Barranquilla , do you really think it is wise to play in a cold, possibly snowy place that could slow things down and probably not be conducive for goals? I mean I suppose if the USA sneaks out a victory in South America it would be a great way to keep a 1-0 score or something but odds are not really for that to happen.
    You are basically giving Colombia the ticket to Brazil if they win by multiple goals in Colombia.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If that happens I don't think it'll matter.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very interested to see how interested Colombia is in this. South American teams generally take the Olympics more seriously, but it's still a u23 team.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Depends on what you mean by interested I suppose.

The Federation hired the U 20 manager who completely does not know what he is doing.

However, there is still a lot of talent that can save his arse.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and mostly I guess I meant the fans in Baranquilla (if that is where they host it) and expats here.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It seems like games can be played at a higher tempo in colder climates, to a point. March can go either way but 50 degrees would be good for us.

24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'm going to suggest Pulisic again. I'll state again that I disagree with the "rules" people use to exclude a player like him. Just because a talented kid hasn't play a professional game doesn't mean he's not talented enough to help. If you are good enough you should play. Based on what I've seen the last few weeks, he probably could start for this team (would still consider him off the bench) and probably good enough to help a month ago before he got this chance.

Namdynamo and deejay repped this.
  25. Big Football

Big Football Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Some beach in Florida,
    Club:
    Deportes Tolima
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ok, here we go:
    "La FCF confirmó el partido de ida contra Estados Unidos, por un cupo a los JO de Río, para el viernes 25 de marzo en el estadio Metropolitano, a partir de las 3:30 de la tarde.
    Which means, what most of us thought, that the Colombian Football Federation has confirmed the first match will be played at Barranquilla on friday march 25 at 3:30 pm, which can only means that the temp. will be a comfortable 101F, and a humidity of, oh well, about the same!!!
    The stadium has a capacity of 49600 and I won't be surprised if at least 30000 will show up with the customary horns, drums and flags to lend support to the kids in yellow. The atmosphere in the stadium could be something the USA youngsters have never experienced!
    [​IMG]