2016 NWSL College Draft

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Jan 12, 2016.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought we can start an actual 2016 College Draft thread to discuss prior, during and after the draft.
    I'm also assuming we may see some trades or other action develop in the next few days leading up to Friday's big day.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Here's a little tidbit. If u can put much faith in Twitter Parson's hinted he was taking an international with one of his top picks. I guess that would be either Rodriguez or Daly.

3. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    686972682735243264 is not a valid tweet id

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Other then the first 2 picks there's really no way to accurately guess who will be picked by who in this draft.
    But I do feel it will be very interesting not necessarily for who the teams pick but where do some of the top players go.

5. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    The tweed was deleted, but it was about NWSL streaming draft on YT.

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word from Thorns is they are expecting to draft three players. Trades are possible, but from what I've read it seems unlikely. For the #2 spot, they've been looking at four players, but have focused recently on one. I assume this means working with her to see what kind of deal they can work out.

Also that the Thorns are looking at adding two internationals (rather than one).

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Under the topic of things coaches say. Harvey was saying they dont need someone who contributes immediately. Parsons has been talking about getting three players from the draft and filling out the roster with his two INT slots (I believe he currently has three). The Dash r saying they need help everywhere. So make what u will.

9. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dash comment, if that's really what they said, sounds like a cop out.

10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Tobin Heath to Sky Blue for the #3 overall pick

Portland drafts: Emily Sonnett, Raquel Rodriguez, and Rachel Daly

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well I may have been a little harsh. What Waldrum said was they still need help on all three lines.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Concern about that Harvey comment. We desperately need help on the left side from someone who can step in on day 1. Our starting left players from last year are both gone and out. I don't trust Goransson who haven't played in this league before or a make shift Barnes or Dallstream.

I'm just hoping this is just a way of downplaying stuff as a way not to tip the hand.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I thought they were originally planning on using Goransson as an outside back. Has that plan changed?

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Anywho, I think if Harvey has her druthers she takes Daly at #4. From the comment maybe she is thinking Roccaro who would have a small role now but would grow into the team.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I don't think the plan has change but I'm still not comfortable with it. I do not want to enter the season with our only left sided player being someone who haven't play consistent competitive soccer in quite some time and is new to the league.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe that if Rocarro is still there at the #5, #6 pick, Waldrum will choose her.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    @DynamoManiac , can you confirm that Houston to looking to move up for that #2 pick. You do have the inside info on what is happening in Houston and was the first person to mention this possibility on this board.

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Don't believe they are. Know Thorns shopped it but asking too much.

19. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There are 14 players on the roster right now. Not a cop out, just the truth.

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I wonder which team accepted them?

Hopefully SBFC wasn't stupid enough because given the state of thier roster, they are not desperate for any particular player to flip the 2nd and 3rd picks plus give up something in return.

Seattle it makes sense.

If Houston didn't bite, that means WNY at #7 but 7/10 does not qualify as a high 1st round pick to me.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Ok my above analysis is flawed because apparently Washington is the one with the 7th pick. So flipping this pick with Portland for the second pick is something I can definitely see happening.

Given that they are stock piling Penn State alums, they might want to add to their collection Rodriguez. Also, Parsons might want one of his former player in Washington to join him in Portland. So yeah, this is definitely happening.

I'll even go on record and say the Spirit will trade Matheson and the 7th pick for Allie Long and the 2nd pick.

You heard it hear first guys

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Been a very busy day so might have missed it. Did Portland announce they are trading the 2nd pick?

Blaze20 repped this.
  23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yes MP did but there is a good chance he may have deleted the tweet as he usually does

24. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, that is Paulson alright. Figured they would trade the pick. Possible that with the 8th pick in hand, the Dash could send that one and one of their other picks to Portland. Would surprise me, though, as don't believe they are focused on any player that is likely go to in the first 4 picks (apart from Sonnett, of course).

25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This from the TweetBunker:

"how bout this? I expect to make a 2nd high 1st rd pick fri but not necessarily @ #2. @mparsons_1 - is that too much intel? ;)"