2016 FIFA Club World Cup: Tournament News & Qualifiers [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Of course they want to expand it, that's what sports bureaucrats do.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Mamelodi Sundowns beat ZESCO 2:0 in the return leg and are the first African finalist.

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They will take on Zamalek, who lost 2-5 in Morocco to overcome Wydad Casablanca 6-5 on aggregate.

If I understand the format from the tournament's Wiki page, the Final will start in South Africa and finish in Egypt - just like when Al-Ahly took on the Orlando Pirates a couple years back.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, that got mighty close after all. Now I regret not tuning in. ZESCO too could have made things more interesting:

CAF Final: Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) - Zamalek SC (Egypt)

Oct 14 - First Leg - South Africa
    Oct 21 - Second Leg - Egypt

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    5:1 at in the 64th minute and Wydad one goal away from making it...

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And the Asian semis start this week.

Big night in Al Ain tonight against El Jaish. I'll be there.

Very much looking forward to finally checking out the Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium. And unlike the grounds in Dubai there is actual assigned seating and electronic ticketing.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

Al Ain (UAE) - El Jaish (Qatar) 3:1

Carried by UAE national team star Omar Abdulrahman Al Ain had a very strong first half and took a 2:0 lead. Then a penalty got El Jaish back into it and for a long time it looked like the Qatari club was going to escape with a narrow loss buoyed by an away goal. Then came stoppage time and the El Jaish keeper decided he had different plans. :D

Glad I made the trip. Omar A's free-kick goal alone was worth the drive. Loved the stadium, the best in the UAE in my opinion. Top notch. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be the secondary venue for the next two Club World Cup tournaments. The capacity of 22K is just fine for the non-UEFA matches. Really hoping we get a similar venue in Dubai as soon as possible. The architecture allows for free air flow which is welcome when it is still 38 degrees at night. Easy to access from the Dubai-Al Ain highway as well.

Oh, and @Paul Calixte - in the middle of all the purple Al Ain fan gear in the stands I spotted a purple intruder. Someone was actually wearing a Orlando City jersey!

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't me :D If I ever find myself in that part of the world, I'll let you guys know.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    In the all-Korean East series Jeonbuk took a commanding 4:1 lead after the first leg:

Have to say I expected more from Seoul...

10. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    If the Club World Cup is played in Asia-Pacific, then Americas can't watch it live
    But nobody cares about us, so that could happen.

If it's held in the Americas, then European fans can't watch it live.
    That will never happen.

The best time zone is Europe: early time for Asia-Pacific matches, and late time for Americas matches.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Play the marquee games at 3-4 in the afternoon (US Eastern) - problem solved.

12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    CONMEBOL has announced a number of changes to its club competitions and the Copa Libertadores will now run from February to November. This is effective starting next year. Makes a lot of sense in my book, the Libertadores winner will now be in good form and with all its contributing players for the CWC in December.

In other words, no more excuses :D (at least when coming up short against non-UEFA competition)

Can someone explain this in more detail?
    Mexican clubs will always be guests no matter what but does this mean...

- Equal number of spots in the Libertaores?
    - Nomination for the CWC in case a Mexican club wins?
    - The second leg of the final can now take place outside South America? (i.e. Mexico)

Speaking of the final, there are rumors CONMEBOL wants to hold a single match at a neutral site? I'm just not convinced this can truly work outside UEFA. Would Atletico Nacional vs. Independiente del Valle draw well in Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires? Or is this a ploy to place the final in the USA to make more money? (in which case it gets a big thumbs down from me)

13. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about that, for a second - giving Mexico the carrot of playing the second leg of the Final over there, only to then talk up a neutral-site final, is peak CONMEBOL. :D

jared9999 and Nico Limmat repped this.
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #314 Nico Limmat, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Speaking of format changes, the OFC has abandoned its single site for the competition probably due to reasons such as these. Looks like hotel expenses have a more adverse effect on budgets compared to travel cost.
    I welcome this change. The crowds have been very poor, especially this year. Home and away for semis and final makes sense and we should see some 10K plus crowds again in some locations.
    I actually think the current East Asia-Arabia rotation works quite well for global viewing. The Arab tournaments suit Europe, Africa and the Americas while the Japanese ones (soon Chinese?) work for the Asia-Pacific region.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #315 Nico Limmat, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Looks like it's mainly about the order of the final series. The CWC nomination would still go to the next best South American club. Also, Mexico already receives the same number of spots as other associations not named Brazil or Argentina. Since the Libertadores is now "linked" with the Sudamericana for some (eliminated) teams, how will Mexican participation be handled there? I believe until now CONCACAF objected to Mexico participating in both competitions? (Of course Pachuca did manage to win the Sudamericana before that door closed)

So now three confederations have a Feb-Nov schedule which nicely aligns with the CWC. Now watch CONCACAF do the same only for FIFA to change to CWC to a (biennial) summer window as rumored. :D

Not directly related but we touched on it before, the road-map for Indian football is now expected to be finalized by January 2017. The AFC will not get involved in the ISL/I-League spat:
    With the ISL being a "closed league" as the official Indian top flight going forward FIFA will have to rubber-stamp it as they did with MLS and the A-League:

jared9999 repped this.
  16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    South Africa after years in wilderness? Mamelodi with a commanding 3:0 lead after the first leg.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

Impressive...

Zamalek will struggle to come back from this.

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    All three excellent goals BTW... This is basically the spine of the current Souh African team.

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2006 champions Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors from South Korea will meet 2003 champs Al Ain of the UAE in a two legged final next month to decide who will be the AFC Champions League winners and join the 2016 FIFA World Club Cup... too bad this didn't happen next year for Al Ain. Anyway, while Jeonbuck downed fellow countrymen FC Seoul, Al Ain ousted El Jaish after a thrilling 2-2 draw in Qatar... yours truly was there to get some footage:

20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I don´t think one neutral site final can work anywhere except Europe

21. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - it's tempting to think that every continent features teams with well-to-do fans and high-speed trains that allow for transcontinental travel on the cheap, but that's not the case. Put this year's CAF Champions League final in Lagos, or AFC Champions League final in Mumbai and you'd be lucky to fill half the stadium (w/o giving away tickets to locals).

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Why? Al Ain can be back at the 2017 CWC simply by winning the UAE league as hosts. In any case, I very much look forward to witnessing my second consecutive AFC CL final. This time the deciding leg. :D

The CAF final second leg will happen on Sunday 23/10.

23. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what I meant was that possibly UAE could have TWO teams in the tournament... had Al Ain won the CL, and someone else the other... just out of curiosity... what if the same team from the UAE do win both?

24. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The competition regulations prevent two teams from the same association. If a UAE club wins the ACL in 2017 the runner-up would take the host spot. This happened twice previously when J. League clubs won the ACL while Japan hosted that year. Sepahan and Adelaide benefited at the time. Personally I don't like this rule but there you go.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    MAMELODI SUNDOWNS make it!

AlbertCamus and Paul Calixte repped this.