2016 Bumper Crop of Yanks Abroad

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by matabala, Sep 1, 2016.

1. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    There were several lean years in the 2010's for Yanks in top divisions of Euro Leagues but this year looks to have perhaps the most Americans ever? plying their trade. Great to see the development and augurs well for the Nat future.

2. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We win a WC in ten years! Sorry, did I just type that?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wait. 2017 could be the year that we re-open the Feilhaber thread!

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i think it's simply the recognizability of our younger guys in potentially breakout years

Pulisic at Dortmund, Green at Munich, Gooch at Sunderland, Wood at Hamburg (though he's not so young), Miazga at Vitesse (an underrated move so far it seems)

5. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dont forget the New Hope! now we just need to skip injuries.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The foundation for this has been laid for a few years now.

Patience isn't common nowadays but patience is what's required waiting for these youngsters to mature and ultimately breakthrough. The 2018 cycle was and is when we were going to start to see those kids abroad filter thru into 1st teams. Pulisic is ahead of schedule, Hyndman is in the process as is Gooch. There's foreign raised kids like Green and CCV who are getting close. Green might start getting semi-regular Bund appearances for BM within the next month or two. There's also some real talent 1-3 years away, cats like De La Torre, Zelalem, Akale, Perez, Barbir, Haji, Sonora, Lennon, EPB and a number of others, including more German Americans like Tillman who projects to have a very high ceiling and Siebatcheu, out on loan in Ligue 2 but got some Ligue 1 time last year.

And by the 2022 cycle(the cycle I believe our identity as a NT starts turning from hard workers/hustlers to actual technical footballers) I expect at least 80% of our top 23 in the NT to be in the top 5 leagues abroad. The more successes overseas leads to more confidence in our teens which leads to more scouts and more opportunity. And more money for the players if they ultimately succeed compared to staying here.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I'm not so sure that the transition from hustle to technique is going to pay the kind of dividends that you imply. There's something to be said for doing what you do better that the other team does what they do. While it was sometimes ugly to watch, we used to hustle our way to results (or close defeats) against clearly superior teams. It now seems that we look really good against overmatached teams, while looking terrible against clearly superior teams. Our results against teams at our own level are mixed at best.

Where I believe the increase in technical ability could pay off is if enough of those players also have the fighting spirit and underdog mentality that guys like Hejduk, McBride, etc. had.

8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we keep forgetting all the young YAs in Mexico. There's some good talent there as well. Hopefully we will see some real jewels develop and have a lot of fun watching soccer on TV for years to come!

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does it say when both Benny and Birnbaum want to play in Israel instead of for SKC and DCU?

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That they both are underpaid?