2015 Soccer, but not Rapids Related- NRR

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Stuart95, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Looks like a rollover rollout. The Connor Casey special.

2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Sod over concrete apparently laid with a manure spreader.

Some of the complainers about the Women's World Cup being played on plastic should take a good look at this 'real grass' surface.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The putos have left the building.

Stuart95 and Jimmydinho repped this.
  4. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dos a Cero!

Jimmydinho and JackSwaninCO repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I'd forgotten about that incident. The sod at the Alamo Dome was horrific. That should never happen again.

6. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a disgrace. How in the world could USSOCCER allow a venue to be so un-gameworthy. I had my fingers crossed the whole time that neither side suffered an ACL or some other severe injury. What's the word on Beckerman?

7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Independiente, COMtnGuy, JasonMa and 4 others repped this.
  9. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I shall delete my recording in favor of more space, thanks.

Stuart95 repped this.
  10. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does it worry anyone else that our "big DP" cannot get any playing time in a Championship League team scraping after a playoff position? it's been worrying me frankly. and more every game he doesn't appear or comes on as a 90th minute timewasting sub. where is the value? I sure hope we know what we are doing, but how do sabremetrics work on a guy that hasn't played in ages, and may eventually take weeks to get match fit?

Independiente, Rod1916, teamed and 2 others repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe it went like this:

[​IMG]

But then I guess that would make him more like a good ole' fashioned scout cat.

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great find on Blatter's re-election specific to CONCACAF

22SteveD repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kind of incident look familiar to anyone?

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...rew-sc-vs-orlando-city-sc/details/video/36409

It ticks all the boxes except injury that the league used to justify Mullan's 10 game suspension. Distance from goal, intent, casual disregard for safety. Reports from Orlando is that there will be no additional suspension on top of the standard 1 game red-card suspension.

Funny, when some of us pointed out to non-Rapids fans that the Mullan suspension was unjust because the league would never live up to that standard we were called apologists. Turns out we were right.

COMtnGuy and Dom. FC repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wow. I really don't see how that doesn't get additional games. Plus, he did not leave the field appropriately. Walking through the CLB bench? Could have caused some other issues on his way out.

kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramos is a complete tool for committing that foul, for one, and then his antics of storming through the Columbus bench rubber stamped his toolness.. I was quite shocked no one from OCSC jerked his ass up and dragged him to the locker room. Adrian Heath and his staff just sat there. That's inexcusable in my book. It took Kaka to pull him aside and get into his ear. The foul, IMO, is worth 3 matches with an additional 1 or 2 for his antics. With that said, Marshall's high reckless tackle on Sanchez was just as violent. That clown should be banned, too.

jayd8888 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanchez got two games for his similar tackle in last year's 4th of July game against Columbus. That's what I'm looking for for Marshall, but I'm guessing just 1.

17. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Re. several posts above I sometimes lose track of if I'm at the Rapids' or the Referees' board ;>) but I guess that means we don't show too much bias. I find that most players don't mind if you set your bar for foul selection* fairly high if you are very consistent and don't come back in the second half and set it suddenly much lower because things seem a little too chippy etc. The same should apply to a discipline body, you can't just pick out examples to set randomly when there is a huge outcry and then be more lax for other incidents that are similar but lack the 'noise' or because of who they are or who they play for.

* Referees see way more fouls (foul recognition) than they call, even at only one per minute calling them all could mean 90 free kicks in a full length match (which would be awful to play or watch), that is why foul selection (IMHO) is one of the least understood and most critical aspects of what center referees (and to a degree ARs) have to perform. Setting the bar correctly at the start and then being consistent is what good referees do and other referees should aspire to. Back on topic, discipline boards should do that as well!

jayd8888, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  18. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What Ramos did was inexcusable from any soccer perspective. He should have had an additional suspension (3 games would have been appropriate), but IMHO the play was not the equivalent of what Mullan did to Zakuani. The injury was a huge factor, and rightfully so. Zakuani nearly had to have his leg amputated due to compartment syndrome following the injury, and the injury effectively ended his career, even though he struggled through several more matches before retiring. Mullan's tackle of Zakuani happened almost in front of us. I'll never forget the sound of Zakuani's leg snapping. Given the play and injury, I thought ten games was light.

kucsdat repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like you agree with me. Its not the same because of the injury, which is what I said. I would put it at 3 additional to the standard 1, for 4 total, maybe 5.

20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on the other side of the pitch and heard the snap ... still gives me shivers to think about it. That having been said, I always thought the 10 games was a bit high. I bet MLS thought Mullan would appeal down to ~5/6 games. I'd like to see about 3/4 games for Ramos, that was a jackass move.

Jimmydinho and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Montreal v Club America, I hate the fascination with laser pointers in some countries :-(

JasonMa repped this.
  22. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree with you. When it comes to Zakuani, I still shudder every time I remember that match. Frankly, I would have considered a much longer suspension for Mullan to be appropriate. My point (not articulated very well) was that because Mullan's 10 apparently set the bar, even a "heavy" sanction for Ramos would be about 3. The lack of any additional suspension for Ramos is unacceptable. The MLS needs to get out in front of thuggery. Seriously, if Chomp Chomp's third nibble was worth 9 games to FIFA, Ramos' actions ought to be worth more than the standard 1 match vacation. (Ditto for Sarvas for intentionally squirreling Dempsey, BTW.)

JasonMa repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, this is the year of re-hashing old arguments for sure.

Not sure how you can blame Mullan from"compartment Syndrome" was Mullan also the doctor who treated the injury?

Bottom line it was a shame it happened but it was a broken leg that was combined with poor human kenetics that resulted him not retuning to his previous form.

22SteveD, Cos_Mos and JasonMa repped this.
  24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How crazy would it be if current last place Montreal end up being first MLS club to make the Club World Cup?

22SteveD and Stuart95 repped this.
  25. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm all for it. I'm behind Montreal 100%. Also interesting to see what they're going to do about Bush's apparent suspension from yellow card accumulation. They tweeted earlier today that they expect to hear from cocacaf as soon as possible and that all options are still on the table.

Stuart95 repped this.