2015 Soccer, but not Rapids Related- NRR

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Stuart95, Feb 24, 2015.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta United FC apparently is at the 21,500 season ticket reservation number. They also have 4,500+ in their "Founders Club," which likely will develop into (or feed into) the supporters group. By any measure, that's pretty impressive for a team that is still 20 months from its first match. They look to be a really strong addition to the league.

Two of the other three announced expansion teams, not so much so.
    • Minnesota United FC still doesn't have a stadium, which could be a wee bit of a problem. On the other hand, they ARE seeking to hire a Loon (seriously), which could give someone from the RFO a future career.
    • Miami Whatevers United Beckham Athletic Rovers FC kinda maybe could have a stadium site and a LOT of work to do to get ready.
    • On the other hand, LAFC is building a stadium next to the LA Coliseum, and looks to be on track for 2018.

2. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll weigh in on this one because it's local to me-- the stadium will get done. It is true that the downtown Minneapolis site ended up being more complicated than they predicted, but it looks like St. Paul is totally willing to work with MN United and things are rapidly heading in a good direction. There's a pretty ideal stadium site in St. Paul that is almost directly in-between the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul. It doesn't have that sexy backdrop of downtown high-rises, but the site is crisscrossed by several public transit and car options and it has room for parking lots and more development (unlike the original proposed Minneapolis site).

It is definitely fair to say that MN United was a little naive in thinking that Minneapolis would play ball with them. The owners are going to build the stadium with their own money-- but getting the ancillary tax support seems like a no-go for Minneapolis. Everyone here is still extremely upset about the way the Vikings owners pretty much blackmailed the city into a TERRIBLE deal for the new $1B NFL stadium.

I'm about to move away from Minneapolis, but I can't wait to come back for a visit once United has their new digs and is in MLS.

And on another note-- even though they were called United long before Atlanta, I kind of hope they just become Loons FC.

3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    I didn't say it needed to captivate you -- I was only referencing my p.o.v. Also if generalized your statement might have MLS sending most/all of the DPs packing because other than for the "money to buy star players who otherwise wouldn't be in" MLS seems like an equally true statement.

To me the 'My Fair lady' aspect of identifying a world class city with just a single team in the top domestic league (potential) and through an infusion of cash trying to build a Champions League winner (getting closer) and global brand (happening) is interesting. However if you are really dead set against ownership groups that spend money then KSE and the Rapids are great fit. ;>)

In fairness not everyone is "captivated" by Chelsea (Chelski), Manchester City (noisy neighbors), along with some of the rest of the EPL (even Arsenal has a rich owner ;>))or closer to home Red Bull NY, Orlando, NYCFC, etc. etc.

4. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was up in Minneapolis for work last week, seemed like people were looking forward to the team. I didn't get anyone telling me they didn't want it or didn't think it would happen in time.

rod.

5. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's right. I think the team will do very well here regardless of whether they go with the St. Paul site or the Minneapolis one. Minnesotans just love having stuff to go do when it's nice out (and even when it's "nice" out).

Rod1916 repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    If only there were something between KSE and the Rapids on the one hand and the Qatari/Abramovich show on the other.

Dom. FC repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlands Ranch native, Ethan Horvath, started between the pipes for Molde in Champions League action today against a tough, tough Dinamo Zagreb club. Horvath back stopped Molde to very impressive 1-1 draw, on the road no less, in hostile Zagreb. The kid's making waves at 20 yrs. old. Lord knows, this country has produced some keepers but none of those guys ever got a taste of Champions League football at such a young age.

SccrDon, Sports Yak, GreatGonzo and 4 others repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even soccer related but I just had an experience buying tickets that would put even KSE's incompetenece to shame:

My company gave me an $100 Ticketmaster gift card as a Christmas gift. I was going to use it to buy tickets to Monday night's Rockies game as the Mariners are in town and Felix Hernandez is pitching.

Go to website, select tickets, enter gift card - "I'm sorry, only MLB Ticketmaster gift cards can be used to purchase MLB tickets"
    Look around Ticketmaster site, find out that regular Ticketmaster gift cards can be used to buy MLB tickets over the phone with a live person
    Call, call, call, call, call x5 and finally get through - "I'm sorry, we don't sell Rockies tickets over the phone. Try the website"
    Explain that I can't use it on the website - "Try calling the Rockies at 303-ROCKIES, they should be able to sell you tickets"
    Call the Rockies - "We don't sell tickets over the phone but if you come down to the box office you can use the gift card"
    Walk to Coors Field - "No, I'm sorry, we don't take the Ticketmaster gift card, they were confused"

For good measure I also called two Ticketmaster retail outlets with no luck.

So literally there is no way to buy Rockies tickets with a Ticketmaster gift card. Ridiculous.

Anyone want to buy a $100 Ticketmaster card? ;)

jayd8888, Totoro and fortcollins repped this.
  11. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats one thing i like that kse did- started their own ticket service- Its much easy( buy and sell) also like flash seats.

12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Might have been interested earlier this week, had to buy my GABF tickets. ;) Other than that, I avoid Ticketmaster like the plague.

jimijam28 and JasonMa repped this.
  13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I think you should recalibrate your "learn how to take a hint" sensor. ;)

JasonMa repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Sounds like there were some crazy games tonight. 6-4? 5-2? Seattle getting blown out at home?

15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched my first Greenlandic soccer game (with commentary in Greenlandic) on TV yesterday (IT-79 beat K-33 4-1). The pitch was dirt which still might be better than the grass over turf at Centurylink.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ethan Horvath and Molde crashed out of the Champions League on home soil to Dinamo Zagreb in a helluva match that featured near miraculous comeback for Molde. They were down 3-nil early, had a man sent off, missed two PK's (yes, you read that right) and managed to somehow, someway claw their way back and pull off a 3-3 draw with an aggregate ssore of 4-4. Unfortunately for Molde, Dinamo pushed thru via the away goals rule. From what I've read, despite the 4 goals conceded, Horvath was absolutely sublime and pulled off some unbelievable saves that kept Molde in the match. It's not all gloom and doom for Horvath and Molde as the Europa League beckons due their Champions League exploits.

SccrDon, jayd8888 and Jimmydinho repped this.
  18. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From USMNT forum

m vann repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He made two or three saves that he had no business making. He has everything you want in a top level goalkeeper. Height, length, athleticism, great reflexes, command of his penalty box. I'm starting to believe after watching him the last two games that he's now better than Steffen. I had previously just seen highlights and maybe a YNT game or two of his a few years ago. He did well in the first leg and was outstanding in the second leg.

I don't understand Croatian, but I could tell that the announcers on the Croatian stream I was listening to were going crazy over some of the saves he was making. The Molde fans were also chanting his name, but thats pretty normal.

m vann repped this.
  20. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several sources have a $10M/ yr offer by MLS for Chicharito, rumor team behind it is Orlando.

Would make him highest paid player in MLS, I get the marketing piece of it but if the guy isn't putting ball in back of net his game contribution is nothing.

21. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Rumor I'm seeing is Chicago, not Orlando.

And we're chasing... Roger Johnson. Wow, that'll put butts in seats.

22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Do you not think he'd put the ball in the net (esp. of on Orlando, not sure about Chicago)?

23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh well. Can Tigres sell Gignac and Uche back to a European team? There's still time...

24. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo . . .

At what point does the frustration become enough that we find a lead investor, pool our money and bring soccer back to Denver proper with a USL / NASL franchise?

fischerw repped this.
  25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know, I'm looking forward to seeing Chichurito play against the Rapids next year