2015 Soccer, but not Rapids Related- NRR

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Stuart95, Feb 24, 2015.

1. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even think Brown got the secondary call up for this game. I haven't seen him play at all and I've actually been watching.

EDIT: @JasonMa you beat me to the reply!

JasonMa repped this.
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Does make the Brown (torching) Yedlin rematch less likely ... as I said lifted from elsewhere not original by me.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  4. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ah memories

5. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Referee Geiger having a horrible game, even the Mexican announcers are calling Mexican fouls that Geiger is not. 1st half Red and 2 PKs called and only one was legit and Mexico set to advance for 2nd game (to the final) all due to poor calls by Americans.

All that being said, serious poor sportsmanship by Panama.

COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Certainly one for the ages -- not in a good way.

Jimmydinho repped this.
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I love CONCACAF. Never a dull moment. Never without drama. Never without controversy. The best analogy I have for CONCACAF: it's like the ugly girl that puts out. You know she's ugly yet you know it's a slam dunk full of fun and entertainment.

COMtnGuy and Jimmydinho repped this.
  8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I wish I could understand Spanish...what happened in the break in play, did the Panama players storm off the field or did Geiger take the players off?

Many in the crowd also acted shamefully again.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the race between Panama players and Huge Security guys at the final Whistle to Geiger. Props to those big guys getting out there.

10. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So my Spanish is weak when they speak so fast but they seemed confused too. Seems that Panama players (on bench) starting pushing/ "fighting" with each other and it headed towards Mexico bench, that's when all the Mexico players came charging over and another ruckus followed by a huge delay to try to figure out what happened, I don't recall a single card was given for any of it.

Mexico fans were unreal too given all the stuff thrown after Panama goal, the event above and end of game. Never knew a beer in a cup could be thrown that far.

nfiniti and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    El Tri fans need to stop throwing shit. The soccer gods gifted them a game, there was no reason to express that sort of outrage.

22SteveD, kucsdat, nfiniti and 5 others repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports are that Panama was ready to walk off the field but some good work by the refs and the match commissioner got them to play on.

nfiniti and Jimmydinho repped this.
  13. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Dang - wish I would have recorded the game

14. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was a black eye for the sport. at about the 88th minute the reffing, the crowd, the players on both teams all seemed to race to the bottom.

At least no Rapids were involved since G. Torres didn't make it off the bench.

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Speaking on the next day it's a little STD-ish.
    They weren't cramping -- may have saved lives?

16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm totally fine with how it played out between the lines. Bad calls are a part of the game. A part of life. IMO the fans throwing stuff needs to end. There needs to be security ready to eject all people that throw anything. Also Panama needed to take their weak red like a champ. I'd have a million times more sympathy for them if they didn't act like children.

17. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the red in the 25th minute wasn't the problem for Panama, it was the pk call to level the score for Mexico at the 88th minute that sent the team into bona fide hysterics. and I agree it should have been handled better but Mexico had been utter s**t all match and out played by a better panama team. it looked like robbery to me and felt worse to them I am sure. the ref had a handle on nothing except his game changing cards.

nfiniti repped this.
  18. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bitterest pill was talking head Eric Wynalda's digust as he was talking about how he hated to see games of soccer ruined by poor reffing, poor player sportsmanship and lousy crowds.

That after last years near mirror visit from his team of neck snapping clowns, the Atlanta Silverbacks.

Stuart95, Cos_Mos, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The red in the 25th minute also featured way too much crying though the dude took like five minutes plus to leave, many times trying to charge. It's where it started. At the end Panama fell on the ball in the box. Those types of crybaby theatrics need to be saved for a Henry handball that knocks you out of a world cup. Geiger REALLY needed to step up when the crybaby antics went to the sidelines. Guess what kiddies, -I'm in charge. But he wasn't in charge. He was a spectator.

COMtnGuy and Jimmydinho repped this.
  20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Well, at least we didn't chuck water bottles at them during a post goal huddle/prayer.

21. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pity they didn't. They got screwed multiple times last night and Geiger failed to make several very pivitol calls correctly.

The red card is understandable, but probably a little harsh. It was somewhat similar to the Doyle "elbow" in the Seattle game. A yellow probably would have been more fair, but I can at least understand a red.

The 88th minute PK is one of the biggest fv<kups I've ever seen Geiger make. The player was falling backwards, wasn't looking at the ball, and had his arm in a natural position to break his fall. Replays even show that once he fell onto the ball he made an effort to not touch it with any part of his arm. No way should that ever be called a penalty at any level of the sport. That was an embarrassingly inept call.

The second PK should have never happened because the play should have been whistled dead before the ball even got to the Mexican player that was fouled. Before the ball was played to him by the teammate, the teammate used his arm to control the ball and play the pass...and he was also arguably in an offside position prior to controlling the ball with his arm. Both and center ref and the linesmen should have picked that up.

How can a Mexican player deliberately using his arm to control the ball not be called for a handball, but a Panamanian player inadvertently falling backwards onto the ball be called as a handball. That kind of inconsistency literally resulted in two goals and had a very direct outcome on the match.

Additionally, Geiger lost control of the game early on...even before the red card. And instead of being assertive and making everyone calm down, he minces around like a beta and lets the fouls, theatrics, and cheap shots escalate.

nfiniti repped this.
  22. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I love the turn of a good phrase.

I'm not sure what it means, but I love this.

23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minces = Being meek and delicate.
    Beta = Instead of being "alpha" and manning up, completely bitching out.

It basically means he was being a colossal puss.

24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    624215823624851456 is not a valid tweet id

22SteveD, nfiniti and Jimmydinho repped this.
  25. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tejada is going to see a length ban for touching Geiger at least once and maybe more during his Red Card theatrics.