2015 In-season Player Rumors & Movement

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Billy Zabka, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MorganFreeman

MorganFreeman Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Maidana is almost surely gone.

2. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    was hoping casey and carroll got in as late subs to indicate they aren't returning

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Linkage:

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2015/10/26/postgame-video-and-quotesheet-union-1-0-orlando/

Quoteage:

Vincent Nogueira

Thoughts on the last game

It’s a good thing to finish with a win at home and it’s a good thing before the vacation. We’ll come back next season, I hope, stronger.

How important is this offseason for you?

It’s good to have some rest. We have to manage ourselves as best as possible. I’ll rest for maybe one month and then I will work and then I’ll be back for preseason.

This game turned physical. When there’s nothing to play for in the standings, does the physicality help you stay in the game?

Yes there was a lot of contact. We did a great job tonight and high intensity is very good for us.​

It’s clear there’s going to be a lot of change from the front office to the USL. What do you want to happen?

We are all competitors so we all want to have the best team possible and make the playoffs. We want a better season so, of course, we want to do our best but the second team will be a great thing because when you are young you have to play more and when we are not [in the] 18 we cannot play so it will be important.​

4. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Why do you say that?

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it said a lot that Maidana did not play last night.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Maidana is gone. I'd say Maidana, Vitoria and Nando are all done.

MorganFreeman repped this.
  7. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was his contract situation? I thought he was locked in for one more season for some reason...

8. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's far from cold hard evidence, but I did see this:

I like Chaco a lot, but his inconsistency is killer. At his best, he takes the game by the neck and pulls out some beautiful combination play. At his worst, he dwells on the ball too long and ends up losing it or he disappears. He really vanished in the Open Cup match.

I think Barnetta will be a great fit centrally. He may not have the creativity of Maidana, but he makes far quicker decisions which keeps the ball moving, gets himself into better positions, and provides more defensive work rate. Personally, I'd like to keep Chaco as a back up at that spot if given an opportunity.

On the plus side, moving Barnetta centrally opens up the left wing. Hopefully it gives us the incentive to sign an actual natural winger, one with speed and the ability to dribble past his man. I think we will end up with Seba still starting on the right flank, but at least we will have one upgrade.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  9. gettysburg11

gettysburg11 Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Lehigh Valley/Gettysburg
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has one more season, but it's a team option. I get the feeling that they won't pick it up, because really they brought Barnetta in to play centrally.

10. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I did a bit of looking at numbers this morning and compared games that it was just Barnetta playing, Barnetta playing with Chaco, and no Barnetta in the line-up and the team averaged slightly more goals (about .1 per game), more shots on goal per game (1), and an even number of shots (roughly 11). Now, this means very little since the sample size is three games but I don't think you'll see a huge drop-off if you substitute Barnetta for Chaco. Barnetta runs at the defense with the ball and forces defenders to make some decisions and open space up for other players. Chaco is great at finding a pass but he doesn't take players on and he can't shoot, so that leaves the opposing defenses to just shut down his passing lanes and they can effectively kill off his influence. If you are going to play a 4-2-3-1 (which is just a variant of the 4-3-3) then Chaco really doesn't fit since he is one dimensional and plays no defense. If this was 10 to 15 years ago when the pure #10 was still a thing he'd be fine. The problem for him is that the game has really changed in the last decade or so and the pure #10 is a luxury player that most teams can't afford. Ultimately I think that without him the Union can be more dynamic and better offensively without him in the line-up. I can see why people will be mad when they see people advocating not keeping a player with 26 or so assists in the past 2 years though.

DaMunk, jaykoz3, Phillyspur and 3 others repped this.
  11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think Barnetta replaces Chaco? I guess I never put two and two together. Big loss. I had Javier Morales like aspirations for Maidana.

BuddhaWake and ScottyMac26 repped this.
  12. SOwannaB

SOwannaB Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I think the only system Maidana would work in would be a 4-4-2 diamond with two strikers in front of him. The problem with Maidana is that he doesn't threaten to scores goals at all so if you only play with one striker, then the defenders can just tee off on the striker.

13. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Barnetta was promised the CAM role and Maidana is not effective enough as a winger. It's a shame that the team is not going to get anything for him and will just let him go. I think Maidana will be successful in this league with another team. But, if the Union uses the funds that it gains from Maidana's departure on a good winger, everyone wins.

14. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They could option and trade, no?

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I always expected he would go to C-Bus, or DCU to finish out his career.

17. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could swear I read an article after he was traded here saying that he'd like to go back to Columbus at some point and finish his career as a member of the Crew. Granted, this interview was conducted by a Cowntown journalist, so what else was BC going to say to him, right?

18. gettysburg11

gettysburg11 Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Lehigh Valley/Gettysburg
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here's the thing about Chaco Maidana. As I see it, he's a very good MLS role player. Here, we were asking/expecting him to be "the guy" that can carry the team week in and week out. And as we've seen this year, he can't be "the guy" when he goes as anonymous as he does for long stretches of play. If you put him on a team like Seattle, or Dallas, or hell, even NYRB, that already has proven contributors (and people who can actually finish his passes), I think those teams would be glad to take his up-and-down production to supplement the players they already have.

tl;dr: Chaco's not a put-the-game-on-his-back-every-week kind of player in the way that a Feilhaber or a Nguyen can be

Starpork repped this.
  19. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
    Or he said that five years ago and might have changed his mind. I know it a crazy theory

20. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    But that is exactly the type of player you need in a 4-2-3-1 system. I don't know if Maidana would really work anywhere in MLS now that RSL has gone to a 4-3-3. Go look at other players that fill the central or wide role in that 3 in the 4-2-3-1 in this league and look at what they do versus what Maidan does. He is probably a better passer than most, but he isn't mobile enough or good enough with a long shot or able to do any of the other things those players do. Look at Sacha in NY, look at Valeri in Portland, or look at Diaz in Dallas. They all bring an extra dimension that Maidana doesn't. He is probably one of the best, if not the best, technical soccer players on this team. I just don't know if he fits this team or even this league.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  21. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carroll retire at Columbus? Why would anyone willingly go back to Ohio, let alone the third rate city of the state?

UnionDues and -smokeandmirrors- repped this.
  22. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    You, sir, seem to have never been to Cleveland or Cincinnati.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  23. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I thank God for that every day.

UnionDues, aequitas, hallam and 5 others repped this.
  24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say he still felt that way ...

-----------------

It's now the Union's offseason. Time to lock this thread down. Someone please feel free to fire up the 2015/16 offseason player movement thread. kthxbye