2015 attendance discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Whoa, wait, why's he starting now?? It's not even December yet!
    :cool:

I would not be surprised if this thread goes dormant, but I found something that might be worth dropping off here. I know CHI doesn't have many seats to begin with, but it's still worth pointing out this happened, I think:
    519594786353709059 is not a valid tweet id

Has any other team sold out a section yet? :laugh:

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    How many field side seats do they have? (@MRAD12 Do you know?)

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Is this like one row of chairs the length of the field? Both sides?

4. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Good news... but they are just some 4 tops along one side of the field.... maybe I could look at a picture and say more precisely, but it is perhaps 10-15 4 tops? Expensive though - so maybe some good income for the team. I have seen Cheryl Bailey (and family) sitting at one. Guess that kind of confirms Benedictine for next year - which realistically I don't think was in doubt.

5. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Found this image:
    [​IMG]
    So if mamalia is correct that it's 4 per table, then there are 6x4=24 tickets sold

ceezmad repped this.
  6. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Yah... one side. But I think they are like a thousand bucks or somesuch.

7. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Sorry, just pulled out my paperwork.... 2 grand/table was the "early bird" price which would still be in effect.

8. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    So $2000 per table, that works out to be $500 per seat? (and with 6 tables, that's $12,000 total) Not bad. But still it's only a small part of the entire attendance pie.

9. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    1 player salary, right? ugh.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The good news...that might cover two players salaries
    The bad news...that might cover two players salaries.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What the twitter was talking about was the tables that are placed behind the chairs and benches on the track. There are only a few of them, 3 or 4 that I remember. And the Whisler family sits at one of them. So I don't take much stock in that twitter message. IMO, it's a ploy to get more people to start buying season tickets early, which is all good.

Let's see how soon they sell out the field side benches and seats.
    They are lined up all along the near sideline from one end to the other. They aren't cheap. I had a bench seat last season and was very close to the play on the field. In fact those of you who know me could see me in some videos when the ball comes near me.

But it's selling the regular seating for Season Tickets that, IMO will be the crucial thing.

I do however believe that the Red Stars attendance will grow next season, even though the National Team players will be missing for a large period of time.

12. slc1997

slc1997 Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Happy they sold out the tables, but it still kind of annoys me that they will still be playing at Benedictine.

13. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    so it goes.... at least the players don't have to train for world cup qualifiers on a Comfort Inn complimentary breakfast.

cpthomas repped this.
  14. wnslsocfan

wnslsocfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Other then just liking a team because it happens to play in Chicago, there will need to be a lot more steps taken by management to have any hopes of increasing the attendance for next season. It looks like the stadium issue will still be a problem effecting attendance. The other issue is Chicago's style of play. Is it an exiting and creative enough style to build any kind of strong fan base.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I'm not sure "exciting and creative" is necessary to building a fan base. I think having a distinct style is, and I think Chicago has one. I know that here in Portland, I've always enjoyed watching them play. I think of their style as blue collar with persistence. (I haven't seen them in person that I recall since Press arrived, so I don't know if their style changed after that.)

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've thought about this "style of play" in comparison to "where they play". IMO, Benedictine from sideline to sideline is short. It is a college football field first and foremost. There is not much room to work east and west, thus north and south is the only room to work at Benedictine. Also, because of the football short turf, the ball goes out of bounds A LOT. As long as the Red Stars play at Benedictine, you won't see the beautiful soccer that many here are thinking of where the ball is passed all around from sideline to sideline, tika-taka style. Not enough room. Thus getting the ball upfield and then putting it into space to Press or Hoy or anyone fast enough to track it down toward goal before it goes out of bounds seems like the only viable game plan for Rory Dames at this time.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    2015 attendance is still at 0 btw.

socfandan and kenntomasch repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So I just got an e-mail from the Spirit, and here's an interesting tidbit that I had missed when the schedule originally came out:
    (underline mine)
    All Saturday night games, save one - I'd have to dig into the old data to see how Saturday night compares Sunday night/Sunday afternoon/Saturday afternoon, but for a team that already draws rather well, I have to think this will be a big boost in attendance to have nailed down Saturday night all the time!

19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #19 holden, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    I don't have day/night differences, but over two seasons, Saturday average is 3971.2, Sunday average is 3273.5, and Weds average is 2708.1. So just playing on Saturday alone is a pretty big boost.

Actually, looking through all their Saturday home games: in 2013 all games started at 7 PM, in 2014 all games started at 6:30 PM. So we can't really do a day/night comparison.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    To say the Dash are making a strong push to get butts in the seat for their opener is an understatement.

With a target of 10k, I wonder how many tickets have been sold yet?

21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    According to this article, they've sold 2500 as of March 27th. That means their season ticket holder base is even lower than that... :eek:

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Here I saw that and that number is really strange for some reason. Least of which is that during their lowest point last season they were easily getting 4000 fans and now they can't sell more than 3000 tickets for opening match?

Even if most people don't renew their season tickets, they usually buy a single ticket for the opening match especially with all the new and popular faces that will be around.

Something is just not right.

23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Some people would argue that the 4k from last season was exaggerated to begin with... Not sure if I believe that or not.

But in terms of that article, March 27th was well over a week ago, especially if the players have been helping sell tickets since then.

24. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I don't believe they did, but for the sake of argument, if they had exaggerated last season, why wouldn't they be doing it now? What benefit does announcing that you're only pulling in 2500 for opening night do? Sure it might spur on a few of the previous season ticket holders to come back based on guilt, but counteract that with all the others who may think, "Well I can't make it to all the games but the number is so small, I don't have to worry about getting season tickets as I can always get individual game tickets." And creating a sense of demand would probably do much more to bring in the casual fan than a sense of desperation.

I think the players only did it for a day, I don't think they've been constantly in there selling tickets... they still gotta train and stuff.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Someone on EQ mentioned that their FCKC ticket rep said they're currently at under 3k tickets sold for Sporting Park, too...