2014 World Cup Stadia

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by gremio1903, Jan 19, 2012.

1. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #501 AcesHigh, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    that was not the worry of ANYONE. The worry is dengue and yellow fever mosquitos AND the jungle CLIMATE of Manaus... which is hot and VERY HUMID.

never saw any foreigner talking of the "middle of the jungle" in any sense but that. To think that foreigners are worried about jaguars and cannibals comes from the mind of Brazilians themselves about how foreigners perceive Brazil. The foreigners, in reality, are worried about more real issues like mosquito carried diseases and the very very humid climate (even other brazilians say Manaus is "steamy"... a different kind of heat, somewhat "opressive", because of the humidity).

Oh, there is another factor there too that I almost forgot: they talk about "middle of the jungle" in the geographical sense of worry too, because Manaus is FAR from everywhere else in Brazil, and can only be reached by airplane. (or boat!)

If the World Cup was in the US, and they had chosen some city in the middle of Alaska.

People would be complaining about a city "in the middle of the Artic!". No, they wouldn´t be complaining about dangers of being eaten by polar bears or orcas, but about the very cold climate AND the distance to other host cities.

See? Same thing can be said about 2018. All host cities proposed are in western Russia. Now imagine they choose a city on northern Siberia! People would be complaining too.

in view of what I said above, I think it´s you over-dramatizing what people are saying about Manaus. Large metropolis or not, modern or not, Manaus is located in the middle of the jungle, with jungle CLIMATE and away from the rest of Brazil.

2. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    OK, but I still think it's an over-dramatization. Yellow fever: efficient prophylaxis exists. All travelers to endemic areas are supposed to get the Yellow Fever vaccine anyway. Dengue: I think Manaus is actually not considered to be the focus of the endemic area. Heat: temperature is expected around 80 degrees. Humidity: true, but then, soccer players are not made of sugar. I know that the English have been complaining, but this smacks me of the eternal behavior the English have always exhibited before World Cups: they start coming up with advance excuses. Well, if there is humidity, then it is so for both teams, and we are not talking Qatar-grade of catastrophic climat here.

About being far from the other cities - well, Brazil is a continent-sized country. If a team is playing in Brazilia and needs to then play in Porto Alegre, there will be a plane anyway. Tourists coming for the World Cup are highly unlikely to be taking buses: planes will be the preferred transportation to all 12 cities, not only Manaus. Being up there just adds a couple of hours to the flight.

Again, I don't see what the big deal is. Sure, Brazil didn't need 12 stadiums, and Manaus should not have been included. But it was, the games will start, and I'm feeling rather confident that everything will be all right.

3. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Enough of the drama already.
    Manaus is a big, modern city, and perfectly able to handle the games.

It's reachable only by plane. So what?!? Is anyone expecting to use cars or buses to move from one venue to the other? Between Rio, SP and BH it's possible. But to other host cities, it's far as hell.

This biased view that the south/southeast of Brazil is wonderful and the rest is terrible disgusts me.

Brasitusa and Mengão86 repped this.
  4. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    It's humid. Yeah. So what? The players are professional, they can handle it.
    And to the tourists it's a chance to explore one of the most interesting parts of Brazil.

5. Galo Vingador

Galo Vingador Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Belo Horizonte
    Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    My problem with Manaus is that there are no big teams there... So it's possible that the stadium will become a white elephant.

Belém was a better option, IMO.

6. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yes, there are several people planning on moving between SOME cities by car or bus.

and even if they have to take a plane between some host cities, most trips will be short trips. However, no matter where was your team previous and next game, ALL Manaus trips will be long.

nobody said that. In fact, foreigners and even the government clearly gave preference to the Northeast in this World Cup.

again, the biggest drama are the ones who are doing such a BIG DRAMA over europeans complaining about Manaus climate. The drama about Europeans not liking Manaus climate is BIGGER than the european little drama about Manaus climate.

7. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    that´s pretty bullshit.

the government actually spends billions in compensations for removed houses and the long judicial processes involving those are one of the reasons MOST major infrastructure works in Brazil take forever to get off paper.

Finally, if SOME people lost their houses and did not get compensation, those were invaded ILLEGAL areas that belonged to someone else, to start with.

8. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    All countries use public domain laws to do public works. If an interstate highway is passing through your backyard in the United States or Europe, rest assured that you'll be kicked out, regardless of your family having lived there for generations. Since it was done in Brazil for stadiums, people make a big deal out of it. This is similar for example to the rape scare. Sure, not a single case of rape is acceptable, but a tourist got raped in Rio and people were up in arms putting down Brazil, when actually rape indexes in Brazil are way smaller than in the United States. Then a piece of roof feel from the Bahia stadium - another big media drama. Well, this has happened to NFL stadiums in the United States as well. Construction workers died - check, it happened in similar numbers when NFL stadiums were being constructed. Don't read me wrong, it's still unacceptable, but my point is that Brazil doesn't have the monopoly in these tragedies, so the First World press often treats Brazil unfairly just for the sake of sensational headlines (which sell more papers and get more web hits).

Who will rush to buy a paper in order to read: "the rate of displacement of local population using public domain laws is similar to what happens in the First World; rape is less frequent in Brazil; construction accidents are in pair with those typically seen in First World construction projects; and contrary to catastrophic predictions the World Cup will be just fine"?

No, this kind of news - which is probably much more likely to be accurate - won't fly. Let's all put down Brazil, it's a lot more fun and it sells more papers. :rolleyes:

leonidas repped this.
  9. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    But can they grow grass? Apparently not, the field is shit:

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/6/11/5800802/manaus-world-cup-2014-field-photos

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
  11. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Ah yes, FIFA, the embodiment of honesty and virtue, said so. I just saw in another thread where you do not even believe the actual groundskeeper who says the field is in bad shape. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

12. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Cmon gremista let it go you lost, your stadium is not a wc stadium end of story. Gremio will forver be number 2 in porto alegre.

locoxriver repped this.
  13. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Too bad the team the "owns" it is the most hated in brazil with the most vile fans. Remember they killed a bolivian kid in the libertadores last year. Just as one example.

14. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    [​IMG]

http://esportes.terra.com.br/futebo...23c3f64c63d86410VgnVCM5000009ccceb0aRCRD.html

OK, happy now? For non-Portuguese speakers, the article says the field is in good condition. Most likely the pictures taken and sent to the Internet were taken earlier, and the "groundkeeper" was paid by the journalist for the sensational interview. The sky is not falling, for your information.

15. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    anyone know what is going on with the stadium in Natal? I heard fire department hasn't signed off on the stadium? is there a problem?

16. MSUDuo

MSUDuo Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Missouri
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But of course this reporter couldn't have been paid off by FIFA. Just not possible.

Only one thing to do now. Wait and see.

17. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    well, the company responsible for the turf at Arena Amazonia is the same responsible for the turf in all other stadiums. They are blaming Manaus climate and heat for the problems... as if they didn´t know what they would find there!

the grass was GOOD before FIFA took over the stadiums... so blame FIFA.

here the company website... they are from Spain, near Barcelona, and they are responsible amongst others for the Camp Nou Stadium.
    http://www.royalverd.com/galeria/

here the map showing the company location (zoom out to see it´s near the french/spanish border)
    http://www.royalverd.com/es/contacto/

really, how these fools were able to mess with Manaus stadium? Simple: that´s what happens when you try to implement EUROPEAN grass cultivation techniques in the Amazon.