2014 World Cup Seedings

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by seadondo, Jun 7, 2013.

1. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As most of us know, FIFA likes to change how they do the World Cup seeding to suit their needs. However, we can still discuss who we think deserves one of the coveted 7 seeds (Brazil is a lock, since they are host). So with Brazil getting one of the seeds, that leaves 7 spots.

Brazil is locked in at number 1:
    1. Brazil

The virtual locks are:
    2. Spain
    3. Germany
    4. Argentina

I believe that the Netherlands are a near lock:
    5. Netherlands

So, that leaves 3 spots. Which are the candidate teams? I would say Croatia, Portugal, Colombia, Italy, England, and possibly Ecuador, Russia, Belgium and Cote d'Ivoire. I would be shocked if these last four are seeded, as they do not have a lot of World Cup success.

I would bet on the last three seeds going to Italy, England, and Croatia.

2. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1. Brasil (host)
    2. Spain
    3. Germany
    4. Argentina
    5. Colombia
    6. Ecuador
    7. Ivory Coast
    8. Ghana

Those would be my seeded teams as of now but I doubt Fifa with all their european favortism will allow it. It will probably be Brasil, Argentina and six european teams that get seeded.

[]__[]

Unak78 repped this.
  3. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wont they just use the fifa rankings?

4. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link to a 2010 seeding thread

Link to Edgar's page. Can't wait to see his late June updates.
    Wonder how Scotland's win effects that.

5. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On what basis would you pick any of your 5-8 teams over the netherlands?

6. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What has Netherlands done to deserve being seeded, after they made the finals in 2010 they have been a disappointment.

[]__[]

7. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's true they had a poor performance in Euro 2012 (no points), but they have been perfect in qualifying thus far. They also have a much better world cup record than any of the teams you mentioned (5-8).

8. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Perfect in one of the weakest group which is not saying much.

[]__[]

9. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, with the exception of Ghana, none of your teams have done anything in the World Cup, ever. Ecuador has no business being mentioned above the Netherlands. They didn't qualify for the 2010 World Cup, and their performance in the 2011 Copa America wasn't stellar either (0-1-2). Ivory Coast has never made it out the group stage, and Colombia hasn't qualified since 1998. Colombia did win their group in Copa America, but subsequently lost to Peru in the next round.

I guess I'm not sure what Colombia and Ecuador have done over the last 3 years that's so impressive to outclass a team going to the World Cup Final.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    If the FIFA choose to use their rankings for seeding your selection would be pure fantasy.

11. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree with your first 5, Portugal, Uruguay and either Italy, England or maybe Mexico would be my bets for the last 3 if FIFA stick to the same type of method used for the last 2 WC's (ie based on last 2 WC results and 3yrs FIFA ranking).

France may be in there as well but Ghana, Japan and USA would be extreme outsiders, although probably ahead of any other countries.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That certainly hasn't been true in the past. FIFA never announces the seeding criteria until AFTER the seeds are released. They used to use a formula based on past results in international tournaments and have then completely switched to rankings the year France qualified via Henry's handball and would have been seeded under the old formula.

But even if they use FIFA rankings. What month's rankings should they use? I'd say December of this year.

Anyway, as of right now, I'd go like this (current FIFA rank)

1. Brazil (hosts) (22)
    2. Spain (1) (lock)
    3. Germany (2) (lock)
    4. Argentina (3) (near lock)
    5. Italy (5) (near lock)
    6. Netherlands (6) (strong contender)
    --------------------------

I think the last two spots are kind of up for grabs. Croatia (4), Portugal (6), Colombia (7), Russia (11), and Ecuador (10) are all contenders, but I'd go with:

7. England (9)
    8. Belgium (12)

Croatia just lost to Scotland, Portugal just beat Russia, Colombia drew Argentina away, and Ecuador lost to Peru away. I'd expect Ecuador to slip from here on out in qualifying (lost of road games), the others are all legit. France and Uruguay have outside shots.

13. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not quite correct; for the last WC they simply used FIFA rankings, for 2006 they used the method which you described. I'm not sure what they used for 2002. Either way, FIFA will most likely go with FIFA rankings or some algorithm that blends FIFA rankings with recent WC results. They will choose which ever method suits them best, most likely.

14. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ideal seeds:

Argentina
    Spain
    France
    England
    Germany
    Italy
    Netherlands

15. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think France and England are questionable, France more so than England. If Croatia wins their group, I don't see why they wouldn't be seeded over France.

16. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    England are in a battle of their lives to just qualify, right now...

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You could say the same thing about Ghana.... well, except that they didn't get to the finals in 2010.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You could say the same about everyone except Italy, Netherlands, Germany, Japan, Argentina and Colombia.

Struggling to qualify is not a good reason to exclude a team from the discussion of being a seed. Assuming Japan won't be seeded, that means there are at least 2 teams who are currently in "the battle of their lives just to qualify" who will eventually be seeded in 2014. :cool:

19. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fifa rankings are as biased as their World Cup seeding.

[]__[]

20. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    So? What's your point? If FIFA decide to use their rankings they will care very little about what you think of them.

21. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Ghana had a whole lot better showing in their continental tournament compared to holland.

[]__[]

22. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The Dutch took part in the Euro. Ghana played in the African Cup of nations (or whatever it is called). See the difference?

23. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Colombia has the same amount of points as Ecuador has. And Italy is just leading by four points so they are not having an easy time qualifying. Plus a team that barely qualifies does not deserves to be seeded so qualifying games should have an impact on your seeding status.

[]__[]

24. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    4 points after only 6 games! That's a pretty solid lead. Keep in mind, they only have 4 games left. i think Italy have got the Brazil 2014 tickets in the bag.

25. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    a four point lead with four games left is not such a big lead, besides even if they have it in the bag the point is that they are not cruising through qualifying

[]__[]