2014 Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BlueCrimson, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody got a count on how many international roster spots each team has? I think Chicago has four but that's the only one I know.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Can't believe you guys beat me to this news. I have commented on this in detailed in the Reign forum but from a layman's view such as myself, this looks like a good move for her leading to the world cup. It means she doesn't have to fly around the world every 3 months and play in a different league especially in a world cup year.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking a few days ago that it would be crazy for a handful of European teams with ambitions to win the Champions League to not try to lure away a handful of players in the NWSL - such as Kim Little, Fishlock, Kawasumi, Vero...

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is a loan is it not?

7. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Reign says she'll be back before start of '15 NWSL season.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    #458 Blaze20, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    Seattle says it's a loan and FFC says it's a one year contract. I personally think it's a one year contract with a verbal guarantee that she will return to Seattle in 2015 and 2016.
    One have to think a club as big as Frankfurt won't sign a mercenary to play half a season and this was the only way they would have signed her. Knowing the Reign organization, I can see how they would grant her the go ahead to sign for a full season at Frankfurt. The first half of the NWSL season is going to be total chaos anyway, no need to have Fishlock here for that when she can benefit more (in respect to preparing for the WC) by being in Europe (shorter travel distance and continuous training).

Also, I won't be surprised to see that there may be a contingency in her contract that states she returns to the Reign if Wales does not qualify and Frankfurt is knocked out early from the CL. That would explain why both teams are releasing conflicting dates of contract termination as they are looking at the best case scenarios for their teams.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well the Reign have options on Fishlock for 2015 + 2016 but that doesnt mean they wouldnt let her finish the season with Frankfurt. Also, this happened to be announced the day after the owners met to hash out the schedule so maybe that means something.

10. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I believe this contract have been in the works for a while now. Remember Gallimore alluded to a slew of Reign players playing in Germany for the upcoming season.

As a Reign fan, it really doesn't bother me if we field an entire college team to start the season. I rather have that than a revolving door of world cup bound players. If anything, it should test Harvey skills as a coach.

11. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    That is a generous perspective from a fan. Props to you.

12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lindsey returns to Canberra for the upcoming season.

13. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    And announces her retirement as well.

As a fan of the Independence, I must say I came to appreciate what Lindsey brought to the club. As a newly created expansion team, she provided a much needed leadership for that team on the field. As a fan, I got to meet her once at a team event and she was pretty cool. I wish her the best on her post soccer life.

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    skyblue's gabarra is supposed to have said that he doesn't have the money to compete with the euro teams so....

...expect more of this.

15. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Certainly not for a whole season but he can probably be competitive over the short term. Take Nadim for example. I have no idea what Fortuna pays her but the most Gabarra can give her, if he still has it in the cap, is $24K (2013 number but I assume it's the same). That amount over a five month season is less than $5k a month. As it turned out, Nadim was only here for one month. If she got $10K for that month it fits in the cap guidelines and is likely more than she makes in Europe. So while it's hard to afford top Euro players for the whole season, we may see more short term players coming over.

17. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Miss representation of the situation. Fishlock loan to FFC Frankfurt is no different than Garefrekes or Nadim playing in the NWSL. These players all play in multiple leagues in the offseason and it's quite common in women's sport.
    If you want an example of a player leaving NWSL for greener pastures, look to Desiree Scott

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the season is almost over, I think it's time for a new thread for offseason moves. Or should we wait until after the championship game?

19. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Go ahead.
    When you create I'll lock this one to make sure we all post in the new one

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage