2014 Open & Amateur cups

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by SiberianThunderT, May 25, 2014.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #1 SiberianThunderT, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    So, while browsing over some of my older Wikipedia articles today, I discovered that many of the links I used as source material on the Open Cup pages are now dead. T_T On the flip side, I discovered the team lists and schedules for this year's cups! Eight team in both the Open and Amateur divisions at the moment.

To brush up on what happened last year, when the competition format changed:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_National_Women's_Open
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_National_Women's_Amateur

Open division: http://usasa.leagueapps.com/tournaments/23576/teams
    ASA Charge (WPSL S.Atlantic), FC Surge (WPSL Sunshine), Fire & Ice SC (WPSL Central), Houston Aces (WPSL Big Sky), Aces Academy (aka Houston South Select, WPSL Big Sky?), New York Athletic Club (WPSL Tri-State), RSL Women (WPSL Pac.N.), and Tampa Bay Hellenic (WPSL Sunshine)

NYAC and the Houston Aces have won the competition before, while RSL Women have been Runners-Up and the Charge have been top-four. (RSLW and ASAC were the two finalists in last year's Amateur division, while NYAC bottomed out.) Also, here's the Open Cup debut of FISC! =-)

Anyway, this is a loaded tournament. Six of the eight teams have legitimate claims to being top-eight teams in WPSL, at least based on history.

Amateur Division: http://usasa.leagueapps.com/tournaments/23577/teams
    Ball So Hard (?), Cobb United (Atlanta, Georgia?), Florida Kickers (central Florida), GAWSA Premier (Atlanta, Georgia), Lakeland Cosmos (central Florida), LASO Strikers (?), Santos FC (New Jersey?), The Olympic Club (?)

Note that I've tried to place where teams are coming from since one of the rules for registration was that only WPSL and W-League clubs could register for the Open division (which wasn't the case last year with an odd KC team showing up in the Open division). I find it interesting, then, that no WPSL clubs were placed in the Amateur division - and, once again, no W-League team taking part at all.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Olympic Club appears to be based in San Francisco. There's a Ball So Hard team in the Broward Women's Soccer League in Florida. The santos-fc.com website is for an organization in Ohio. I tried to figure out LASO Strikers, but the only Google hit is on the USASA website.

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Games start today! 6:00pm ET for the Amateur division and 8:00pm for the Open division.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Currently 0-0 in both Aces-NYAC and Tampa-Charge, can't find Twitter updates on the other two - only halftime as all games were (presumably) weather-delayed.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't know what's happened in any of the Amateur games or in the FISC-AcesAcademy game, but here are the other three:
    Aces 0-2 NYAC
    Tampa 1-2 Charge
    RSL 4-1 FC Surge
    None of the three winners are facing each other tomorrow, no guarantee that these teams don't all have 6pts this time tomorrow

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Gah, due to research stuff I didn't get around to following this as closely as I had hoped!

Here are the Open Division results:
    Code:
    Aces 0-2 NYAC
    T.B. 1-2 ASAC
    RSLW 4-1 FC S
    ASSA 1-1 FISC

ASSA 0-4 ASAC
    FISC 2-0 FC S
    T.B. 1-2 NYAC
    RSLW 0-3 Aces

RSLW 0-1 NYAC
    ASSA 0-3 T.B.
    FISC 1-0 Aces
    FC S 0-5 ASAC
    Unsurprisingly, the two teams outside of the six I had mentioned earlier ended up at the bottom of the table, FC Surge and Aces South Select Academy only earning one point between then. Tampa Bay, RSL, and the Aces senior team all went 1-2, with an impressive 2-0-1 performance from Fire&Ice SC (including revenge for last year's WPSL Central quarterfinal against Houson) falling just short of making the final. NYAC and ASA Charge went 3-0 in group play, with NYAC winning the final 2-1.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Forgot to add: with the win, NYAC have leapfrogged FCI as the second-most-winningest club in the competition (both have two titles, but NYAC has one more runner-up finish). The winningest club is the now sadly defunct Ajax America with five titles plus another top-four finish.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Open Championship was actually streamed, though the video quality wasn't very good.