News: 2014 NBA Off season and draft thread

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by benni..., Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Depends on what Durant wants really. I think he's closer to winning a chip, if he joins LA than DC. But yeah this is just day-dreaming. We're resigning Jordan to a max contract. No chance that ain't happening.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Sad sad news.

Speaking of Nash. There was a poll on First take. Who is better, Iverson or Nash.

Discuss

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Complete opposites but I verso dragged a terrible team to the finals which Nash never appeared in on a better team in the suns

benni... repped this.
  5. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    give me nash. he made the people around him better.
    those suns teams were so much fun to watch with nash being the best player.

benni... repped this.
  6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    benni... repped this.
  7. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I'd probably stick with Iverson. Individually he was better, though I guess it depends on what kind of team you would put together. Iverson on that Suns team would probably be bad, then again Nash couldn't take any team to the Finals on his own. If I were down with a minute to go, I'd take Iverson 9 times out of 10.

Nash, keep gettin' them checks!

benni... repped this.
  8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good chance Nash becomes the only MVP never to play in the Finals.

benni... repped this.
  9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Regular season success doesn't neccessarily correlate with postseason success.

benni... repped this.
  10. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally got to witness the decline of Iverson here in Detroit. Iverson's biggest problem wasn't his size, it was his attitude. Hard to compare the two guys because Iverson was more of a SG than a PG and both had drastically different playing styles. Both are going to the hall of fame but I'd have to give the nod to Nash. The way he saw the court and the way he played was magical. Interesting he didn't retire yet. I'd love to see him go back to Phoenix for one more season. They have a great physio staff there, look how they prolonged Grant Hill's career. He could be a nice person to bring off the bench in limited situations.

benni... repped this.
  11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Dude Iverson, no question. He literally put a sorry Sixers on his back. He had the slickest handles ever from a PG.

benni... and JCNapoli17 repped this.
  12. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Maybe - but the fact that he's the only one is sort of interesting.

benni... repped this.
  13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Eh - I wouldn't say magical personally. Very good player who worked his butt off - but court vision for me wasn't up there with the likes of Kidd, Stockton and Magic. I was always most impressed by how well he shot given the high energy, sometimes helterskelter way he played.

14. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I am extremely bias being a Sixers fan, but we have not done a single thing since Iverson left and the team Iverson carried to the finals was pure garbage, I do not buy this crap that Iverson didn't make the team around him better, because he was the only reason we got to an NBA finals that year. Allen Iverson is one of the best dribblers I have ever seen and the closest I've seen to his dribbling skills is Derrick Rose. If we didn't have a fraud of a GM like Billy King who could hand Iverson a decent team the Sixers might have been able to win things... the best 2nd man Iverson had with the sixers was an old Mutumbo and an injury ridden Chris Webber.

We still have not recovered from post-Iverson and thats why we are finally accepting trying to tank to hope that a few prospects pan out and we can finally build a decent team. It is extremely high risk and I'm not sure its going to work out for the better, but if Embiid plays as well as his comedy skills on Twitter, we'll be fine.

Iverson might have been a prick, but he was a better basketball player than Steve Nash. If Steve Nash lead a team single handedly to an NBA final, then we can have a better debate about this in my opinion.

benni... and dark knight repped this.
  15. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    if the suns played in the east, they would of made multiple championships. unfortunately they had to play against the spurs/lakers.

16. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you're MVP, your team is in contention

17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Good post fellas.

btw, Iverson won the poll, like 60 - 40. Maybe an even bigger margin.

There's a lot of valid arguments for both sides. Personally, Iverson is my pick. Simply an unstoppable player. The heart, and the skill. Played defense better than Nash too, imo.

os_mutante repped this.
  18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iverson is 12th all time NBA steals. Nash is 197th. Case closed.

benni... repped this.
  19. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Not only that, but when you hear defense leading to offense, well Iverson also did the opposite: offense leading to defense. He was such a workload on defense for the opponents, that the opposing point guard(or shooting guard/whoever was defending him) would be tired for their offensive possessions. Not to say Nash did not make you work, but the individual is exhausting a lot more energy guarding isolations than the guy pulling out ridiculous passes.

Not to turn into Hendrixforpope with all of his Heat gifs etc.. so I'll just slide this one in here. For whatever issues Rose will have this season, if he has any long term, it won't be for lack of athleticism/speed. Check 1:28

20. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As for Nash vs. Iverson directly, depends what I'm choosing. Is this the face of my franchise/number 1 option? Give me Allen Iverson. He could carry a team on his own and win games for his team when others couldn't deliver. Am I looking for that 2nd fiddle guy to go with my number 1 option? Give me Nash, because he knew how to take pressure off of his star man and give him and his other teammates incredibly easy scoring opportunities.

benni... repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Both are up there in the top 50 easily

22. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Reports that GSW are considering trying Iggy as a sixth man of the bench. Thoughts?

Personally I think it's a bad idea. They haven't been using him properly IMO, that's why he hasn't been as productive as they had hoped. Oh and I think he's a better defender than Klay.

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's starting to get on in years and his scoring has really slowed down. And it would be nice to see what the W's have in Barnes finally. It's his third year and he if he's actually worthwhile he should be starting by now.

So having Iggy come off the bench with Livingston as the second team wing scorers/playmakers with Green and Ezeli as the frontcourt is what Kerr is trying out. Judging from preseason I wouldn't call the experiment a slam dunk success so we'll see if he tries it more in the regular season or keeps Iggy in the starting five.

He's definitely a better defender than Klay for now. BTW it's going to be a pivotal year for Thompson. His side wants a max deal and the W's don't want to give it to him. I'm thinking he's going to be in audition mode all season.

24. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Iguodalas best asset is his defense. You want him out there guarding the best wing players. That can't be done off the bench.

zohee repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Iggy needs to start because curry and Lee are awful defenders so he can help and stop 3s dominating too. Curry gets alot of people forgetting his d (pause) and we know Lee is not great. But this side plays good team d and kerr has some new sets so it should be exciting

Kj MCDANIELS is a guard to watch this year, he's had a couple of 4 block games this pre season

Hopefully he learns some offensive moves though cus he only has put backs atm lol