2014 FIFA World Cup™ Round of 16: United States v. Belgium | Tues, Jul 1

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by starbuk, Jun 26, 2014.

1. starbuk

starbuk Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Nate Silver gives 55 percent advantage to Belgium... What do you think about the match-up?

2. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
  3. starbuk

starbuk Member

Mar 31, 2014
    They are definitely the favorite but the way the teams have been playing it is not a HUGE difference in performance, is it?

jerrito repped this.
  4. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Belgium will get it together and find another gear. 2-1.

5. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Logically Belgium should win. But this is the World Cup, and logic does not always apply.

6. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    performance wise dunno.I only saw the results...usa 4points....belgium 9points.but ofc Belgium had easiest group.But based of the quality of the players Belgium has by far better players.Ofc this is not always the case.

Lastcall repped this.
  7. starbuk

starbuk Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Yes on paper Belgium is better and the US loves to rally as the underdog. I'd be sad to see their WC end but if Belgium were to get knocked out next round anyhow, I think having the US go far and play against a top team like Argentina would make for great headlines across the world. I'm sure the Belgians would disagree :)

8. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium hasn't been impressive and although they dominated US in a friendly, it was only a friendly and it was a year or 2 ago? USA have exceeded my expectations by getting out of the Group of Death, but saying that, I don't want it to end in the R16. And I'd be disappointed if it does, but what if they win to reach the 1/4 final? Can you imagine the hype? It would be 2002 x 10! And the opportunity is there for the taking.

jerrito, kaizer5 and starbuk repped this.
  9. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what if the US win and have to face Nigeria? :D What a great chance to reach the semis. It's okay if we get ahead of ourselves.

10. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Belgium in ot

paulalanr and NMMatt repped this.
  11. Franklin Rizzo

Jun 4, 2014
    Miami-NYC
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium toyed with us last year. It was ugly.
    It was more lopsided than today vs Germany was.

That being said, we have a chance. We were outplayed vs Ghana. And got a W.
    We outplayed Portugal. And didn't get a W.
    Anyone can win.

I just wish we had an in-form, in-shape Altidore.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives/world-cup/

12. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigger upsets have happened, but yeah we are the underdog.

Interesting that all of Belgium's goals have come after the 70 minute mark.

canis repped this.
  13. Football Lover NYC

Aug 21, 2008
    My Room
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Belgium wins this 2-0. There's nothing from the US that I've seen to suggest they'll pull a win.

14. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant Switzerland, not Nigeria

15. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Switzerland playing? I thought I was watching Snow white and the seven dwarves yesterday.

16. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Belgium is going to have to pick it up a notch if they hope to beat the US...none of the three teams they beat in Group H are on the same level as the teams in Group G.

Belgium has more talent on paper, but the US has more energy and is currently playing at a higher level. Tactically, Belgium favors a slow build up, which should not be too difficult for the US to defend, and I'm not sure Belgium has the speed to stop US counterattacks.

Gut feeling is 1-1 after 90 minutes, with the US scoring the winner in extra time.

Guinho and starbuk repped this.
  17. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hoping that the USA can somehow edge Belgium.

fingersave repped this.
  18. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I´d rather play Belgium than the US in 1/8s (as long as we manage to beat the swiss, ofc). Belgium is a more talented team, but the US is very dynamic and that can be unpredictable.

sXeWesley, fingersave and Franklin Rizzo repped this.
  19. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was responding to starbuck who said something about playing Argentina if US beat Belgium. Argentina is playing Switzerland in R16 and so I was asking what if we play Switzerland? But I happen to think the US will play Argentina too.

20. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the US get lucky against Belgium and then play a beatable Swiss team in the Quarters and we amazingly reach the Semis? Or the US play the game of their lives against an overconfident Argentina? I know wishful thinking, but it's definitely possible and not as farfetched as some may think.
    The US had a favorable bracket in 2010, but then Ricardo Clark and Carlos Bocanegra happened. If Ghana can come within a PK of the Semis, then why can't the US do something similar?

fingersave repped this.
  21. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Belgium to win it late after tiring the US out in the first 70 minutes. 1-0 or 2-0 sounds about right.

jerrito repped this.
  22. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The worrying thing for the US is the way that Belgium played once they went down to 10 men. Up till that point they had been strong but disjointed, but all of a sudden an intensity and purpose appeared; it might just be the spark they needed.

I think unless the US score with something quite special (either from distance or an incisive break) they will fail to break a giant Belgian side down, and will be picked off by their attacking qualities. 1 or 2-0.

23. Miller3000

Miller3000 New Member

May 19, 2013
    Baden-Württemberg / Germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hard to say how good Belgium really is. Of course they are favorites. They have a lot of talented young players playing in big leagues. But they had a pretty easy group and didn't convince there. If the US plays like they played vs Ghana and Portugal it will be a very close game with an open end.

kaizer5 repped this.
  24. Rextilleon

Rextilleon New Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think that the US will play a more dynamic brand of futbol in the knock-out round game. I think that if the good Michael Bradley shows up, they have a fighting chance. If the Michael Bradley of the group competition shows up, I give them little chance.

25. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think the US wins this one. All three teams the US has played are probably better than Belgium.

starbuk repped this.