2014 FIFA World Cup™ Round of 16: Netherlands vs Mexico | Sun, Jun 29, 12:00 PM

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jun 25, 2014.

1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and yet...

plus...do you reeeely want to make the Hulk angry>

canis repped this.
  2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Current Selecao would be mostly the Sudeste Region. But like I said, the nordeste has tons of untapped talent, and the North of Brazil is pretty much undeveloped in term of football, with some of their state leagues bordering amateur leagues.

Nordeste only team would probably look like this
    GK - Magrao or Dida
    RB - Dani Alves
    CB - Dante
    CB - Anderson Martins
    LB - Carlinhos
    DM - Romulo
    DM - Hernanes
    CM - Ganso
    AM - Oswaldo
    FW - Borges
    FW - Hulk

That's not a bad team to field at all

canis repped this.
  3. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Guy gets paid millions to play, is a starter at the Selecao, and you can't imagine him being better than anybody else? seriously?

I don't like him as a player either, but there's many European sides who tried to sign him out of Porto for a reason.

4. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    His only asset seems to be his strength. I can name many average players that get paid millions and play in europe. We are talking about elite brazilian players here.

Everybody, not anybody.

Pipiolo repped this.
  5. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quite the literary team: the Divine Comedy and wonderful Argentine stories. and then there's the comic book factor.

LGRod and mistert06 repped this.
  6. mistert06

mistert06 Member

Jul 4, 2006
    And a bit of Star Trek too.

LGRod repped this.
  7. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    close, but...

if the player's name were Romulus, i would have pinned it to the co-founder of Rome

but maybe the correct reference is WoW, which i know nothing about.

LGRod repped this.
  8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wouldn't the SP-RJ region be the powerhouse, in line with Italy and Germany historically? Players from this region include Pele, Garrincha, Didi, Zico, Romario, Ronaldo, Neymar.

LGRod repped this.
  9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I'm more looking into the capability of the region, very underdeveloped (specially football wise) and still produce talent like Rivaldo, pepe, Hulk, Juninho Pernambucano, Daniel Alves, Dida among many others. Very few out there make it out of the poverty and there are very few clubs that actually have the money to support these kids, most of the ones that make it out it's because a bigger club from the south picked them up, or their parents left everything and traveled to the south in order to give them a chance.

Pipiolo repped this.
  10. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank
    As a Mexican soccer fan, I can say this was the worst sports loss ive ever had to go through, out of all the cups, all the opposition, all ghe sports, none have ever been as painful as this one.

The only thing I can say is the coach should have kept some pressure going, and the ref should have carded Robben in the first half with his first dive. The early one where he literally dives twice I believe.

Sad because the man is so skilled and it was a shame seeing him only look for the penalty.

LGRod, jerrito, Guigs and 2 others repped this.
  11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I don't understand what Mexican supporters are complaining about. The foul in the first half (where Moreno broke his leg bringing Robben down) was clearly a penalty. The Dutch should have had the lead at halftime, and with the lead, would probably have had a lot more counter opportunities. But instead, they get the PK they deserved at the end. All in all, a fair result.

MrOranjeBal repped this.
  12. Conifeertje

Conifeertje Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Potentially a penalty and a red card even. And you gotta love how ESPN covers that, as Moreno coming in "collision" with Robben, and Robben "accidentally"shooting and breaking Moreno's leg. At least according to the Mexican coach .Hrmmyeah that's exactly how it happened.

But ofcourse Mexico was mother Theresa the entire match. Embellishing of fouls NEVER happens, and it's completely unique to this match in the entire 2014 world cup, Mexico was 950% better than the Netherlands, Mexico was robbed, the refs hate mexico, Arjen Robben is the son of Beelzebub, CONCACAF could be sooooo much better than the rest if only for that FIFA conspiracy to keep them all in check, and anyone who beats either one of those countries is a brute nation of hacking cheats who never amounted to anything in soccer.

MrOranjeBal, waitforit and Tukafo repped this.
  13. Incidental Lurker

Incidental Lurker New Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Mexico has a great and glorious football history:
    Their first appearance was as early as 1930. They reached the quarter-finals in 1970 and 1986, the round of 16 in '94,'98, 2002,'06,'10 and '14. A grand total of 20 appearances in all. Only a neglectible 12 times did they not make it through to the round of 16. (never heard of a ban either)

The Netherlands are basicly complete (and better ignored) losers in comparison:
    Their first appearance was as late as 1934. They were runners-up in 1974,'78 and 2010. They reached the semi-finals in 1998, quarter-finals in 1994 and the round of 16 in 1990, 2006 and 2014 (at least). A measly 10 appearances in all. A laughable total of no less than TWO times the idiots took part but did not make it through to the round of 16. Pittyfull! Most editions they were to scared to even show up!

The fairy-tale that it is in some utterly concocted way more difficult to qualify in UEFA is without a doubt a complete fabrication. Undeniable proof of Euro-football-imperialisme no doubt.
    ----
    In this edition of the World-Cup;

Mexico beat gloriously against overwhelming odds:
    1.Cameroon (FIFA ranking 50). Cameroon reached the last 16 once in 1990. They were runner-up in the Africa-Cup of Nations in 2008.

2.Croatia (FIFA ranking 20). Croatia reached the semi-finals in 1998, which was the only time they got out of the group-stage.

Both countries have lower FIFA ranking than Mexico.
    Total goals scored 5 (average 1.25) - goals conceded 3 (average 0.75) - draws 1 (25%) - matches lost 1 (25%)
    *That must be worth at least a Cup or two, mayby even three.
    ----
    The Netherlands luckely passed:
    1.Spain (FIFA ranking 1). Spain is both the current World-Champion as well as the current European-Champion (for the second time in a row).

2.Australia (FIFA ranking 59). Australia reached the round of 16 in 2006 and is current runner-up of the Asian-Cup.

3.Chile (FIFA ranking 13). Chile reached the round of 16 in 2010 and reached the quarter-finals of the Copa-América in 2011.

4.Mexico (FIFA ranking 19). Mexico reached the round of 16 in the last 5 editions of the World-Cup and the semi-finals of the CONCACAF-Cup in 2013.

Two have lower FIFA ranking than The Netherlands, two higher.
    Total goals scored 12 (average 3) - goals conceded 4 (average 1) - draws 0 (0%) - matches lost 0 (0%)
    *Pampered wuzzies for sure.

Everyone can see (LOL) that Mexico deserved to reach the quarter-finals for a change, right.
    It must be some cruel joke by corrupt officials and refs to steal the greatest victory of their Nation from under their nose like that.
    Or no, it was that nasty Robben fellow. It is just not fair boohoohoo...
    ----
    They tried to break his leg, and got away with it. (Serves the guy right breaking his own in the proces) And when that didn't work out, they acused him of diving, the next time he was tripped inside the box. They even went as far as filing an official complaint with FIFA. Demanded an enquiry. So he embellished it a bit, big deal, that does not negate the foul now, does it. Get a life.

They should blame their coach for a moronic exchange, and their defense for losing sight of Wesley Sneyder and than making that stupid foul inside the box. It was not the goalkeeper who lost it either, that's for sure, he was magic, and the only reason it took the Dutch so long to score.

How about sore losers. Wining babies. No backbone at all.
    Take USA for an example of sportmanship, or Australia while we are at it, they show class after defeat, despite having far less experience, that is how you earn respect.
    There will only be one winner at the end, and thirty-one losers. You would expect Mexico to get it at some point.
    But after 20 appearances it has yet to sink in.
    If you can't take the heat, don't play the game.

Mexicome > Mexiocre > Mexigone, and good riddance, immature cheaters.

(pardon the sarcasme.)

14. Emmet Kipengwe

Aug 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Good post and welcome to the forums.
    I like the cut of your jib so far.

15. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Very funny post and somewhat true although I must say I feel for Mexican fans who don't deserve that agony. The penalty was correct, who cares whether Robben should have had a yellow earlier in the game, what difference would that have made to the match? But the real crime was to bring on Hernandez. When you're leading you want players on the pitch who can control the ball and bring the match home, what idiocy to bring on a pure poacher in the box in that situation?

Btw, I wish people wouldn't always bring up Mother Teresa as an example of a good person. Read up on her and you'll see how deeply troubling and problematic most of her policies were

soccernutter, Conifeertje and canis repped this.
  16. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    "Btw, I wish people wouldn't always bring up Mother Teresa as an example of a good person. Read up on her and you'll see how deeply troubling and problematic most of her policies were."

Even Mother Teresa can't catch a break at Big Soccer. :p

Conifeertje and canis repped this.
  17. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    [/QUOTE]
    And rightly so

18. Conifeertje

Conifeertje Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thx, and noone understood that. Still Herrera got Mexico to the R16, only getting paid what? 1/80th of Capello...?

And indeed Mother Teresa, as a public religious figure [surprise, surprise] was a bit controversial. Clicked on the Teresa wikipedia page, read a bit, but then homed in on a link to Megan Fox and it went completely blank, sorry! :devilish: Something about substandard housing conditions for her "patients" and maltreating them, as well as propagating some doctrines about poor folks being suckers and rich folks blessed or something along those lines.

Anyway it's true Mexico fans should be granted some leeway to vent their frustrations. It was genuinely painful to watch Mexico supporters in the stadium. Incidentally, there's one in the referee forum pretty much asking for a "the Hague" tribunal on Robben :)

Tukafo repped this.
  19. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It is of course an interesting sociocultural question why people consider playacting as such an evil act. Sure, it's against the rules of the sport and also against the rules of fair play but so is fouling and yet people don't look at fouls in the same way as a dive. And there's something about Robben that annoys people and it's hard to say what it is. Remember the foul by the Arsenal keeper in this year's Champions League against Bayern? It was a blatant and deliberate foul, clear for everybody to see and not a shadow of a doubt about it but half the world still called it a dive because of the rather strange and exaggerated way he went to ground. Robben is no more a diver than anybody else but he has his reputation because of these bizarre Swan Lake Ballet routines he tends to make when he gets fouled.

Conifeertje repped this.
  20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was unimpressed with Oribe Peralta, so it wasn't so terrible to sub him out for Hernandez, who had just scored to break a long dry spell and perhaps there was hope his luck had turned. The blatant mistake by Herrera was to take out Dos Santos, the one player capable of marking the difference and punishing the Dutch on a counter. The decision is made worse considering that Dos Santos was neither injured nor exhausted at that point in the match, it was a decision made on fear and Mexico ended up paying dearly for it.

*Snipping ridiculous line about Mother Teresa*

21. There is a difference between diving (= acting as if you were fouled) and excegarating (= when you get fouled you do the tumbling in a dramatic way).
    The first is despicable, because it is cheating and in fact screwing a fellow player.
    The second is often to make sure the referee notices that you are being fouled.
    What is interesting is that referees can see if there is a case of overdoing the fall. It is pure bio mechanics.
    If you get unexpectately tackled and fall, your basic instinct is to stretch your arms to break the fall.
    If you get tackled and you want to pull the attention of the ref you have the time to think about what to do and then you ignore the basic instanct and throw your arms into the air.
    I am really amazed that such a basic know fact from the bio mechanics isnot common knowledge among refs.
    If players learn that throwing their arms up in a dramatic way is a sure sign for the ref he is being manipulated and may lead to being given a yellow card (because a ref cannot see if the acting is the result of dive or the wish of the player to make sure the ref sees the foul) it will be soon over with the flapping falls.
    You can all see for your selfs in matches what I am talking about!

22. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Before that play Robben dove twice in the same play. It was an embarrassing dive that Robben himself admitted to. That's the play Robben should have been carded for.

If the referee checks him early with a yellow, we go back to playing football. Without the flopping, because fans didnt wait four years to see that, to see defenders scared out of their mind Robben falls for a penalty, im sure the Dutch deep down must feel a little embarrassed over his antics, I would.

I saw him against Costa Rica and the man didnt learn, same flopping story, same scared defenders.

I think the man is insanely skilled, but has ruined his reputation as a legitimate footballer this world cup.

23. DutchLion

DutchLion Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You need glasses or a switch to another (sports?)channel.
    Maybe you got carried away by the CR players who, after bringing Robben down, made the diving motion with
    their hands. It was just another tactic from their coach, like hoping for penalties and God helping them out.

Neither worked.

24. kets

kets Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I am not sure what game you watched. Robben was hacked time and time again, several yellows were awarded. There should even have been a red on 15, he made a terrible foul on Robben after already having received a yellow before (of course, another foul on Robben).

Besides that, Costa Rica did an awful lot of diving, and kept feigning injuries, just hoping to get to the penalty kicks.

Look, Robben dives sometimes, but yesterday was not one of those games. He also gets fouled a lot. Don't let his reputation cloud your vision of what happened at the game.

DutchLion repped this.
  25. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Everyone but the dutch need glasses.