2014 FIFA World Cup™ Quarter-Finals: Brazil vs Colombia|Fri, Jul 4, 4:00 PMET

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014 - Knockout Rounds' started by JohnnyFutbol, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Team to Advance

Poll closed Jul 3, 2014.
  1. Brazil

46.9%
  2. Colombia

53.1%
  1. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For me, it's Corinthians = Selecao > Ganhar > Qualidade do Futebol.

2. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We were saving ourselves for the good stuff. Don´t let Colombia ruin OUR party please :p
    To tell you the truth, I´m not sure I would be able to handle that match.

Brasitusa and Redshift repped this.
  3. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know you Argies will be insuportable if there's a Maracanazo, 2.0.

But have you considered the other distinct possible outcome of a Brasil x Argentina final, should it come to pass?

I have it on good authority that if this happens, CBF's sixth star won't be a star at all, but the crossed-outline of an AFA escudo, just like the ones fighter pilots paint on the nose of their airplanes when they win a dogfight. :D

But again, we're getting ahead of ourselves. We have to beat Colombia first. You still need to dispatch Belgium. Then we can talk about semifinals.

4. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hell no! Por las barbas del profeta!
    But lets get back on topic. Our colombian brethren might not like that I hijacked the thread.

Redshift repped this.
  5. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL :ROFLMAO:

6. Cviet

Cviet Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Why do you say "ours" and "us" when you state you live in the U.S?

7. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #157 Redshift, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    I know this wasn't directed to me, but I think I can answer from my own experience, as someone who was born in Brasil but immigrated to the U.S. as a kid, and has lived in both countries at various points.

My earliest soccer-related memories are of watching the Selecao and my club team, Corinthians. This is how I first learned about futebol and got into the sport. I have a strong emotional connection to both of those teams. And, as anyone who follows sports knows, the teams you support--and the suffering rooting for a team frequently involves--become part of your identity. Where you live really has no bearing on it. When you move, you continue to support your old team--unless you were never really a fan. You might eventually develop an affinity for another team, but that isn't something that necessarily happens.

Although I understand that international soccer is inextricably bound with our national identities, don't see why we should expect our emotional bonds with national teams to express themselves differently from those with our club teams (provided those bonds were strong to begin with).

I live in the U.S., for sure, but I've always supported and will continue to support Brasil. I could move to Argentina, or Germany, or England, and I would still support Brasil. If the situation were reversed, and I had developed an affinity for the USMNT as a kid, I would expect to support the USMNT if I moved to Brasil, or any other country, even if that country had a stronger soccer tradition than the U.S.

Of course, as a naturalized American, I want the USMNT to do as well as possible. I thought they showed considerable progress this time around. But when I refer to the USMNT, it has always been as "them" and "they," whereas the Selecao is "us" or "we." I was never exposed to the USMNT as a kid (it was pre-1994), and thus, never developed that quasi-tribal emotional bond to the team. Unlike with the Selecao, my connection with the USMNT is almost purely rational. I would love for soccer to be more popular here; and I want the people who live around me to be happy. But, for instance, if Brasil and the U.S. were ever to meet, the USMNT is just another opponent to the extent its success is incompatible with the Selecao's.

Take the Confederations Cup in 2009, where Brasil were down 2-0 to the U.S. at the break. There was no consolation at all for me that the U.S. would at least win an international title. I was gutted and wanted desperately for Brasil to turn the result around--which, mercifully, we did. This is not something I consciously choose. It's just how I feel.

8. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i pretty much relate on most points. just substitute Brasil for Colombia.

though iam an American born, i did live in Colombia throughout different moments in my life. i was exposed since a kid, with my father on following the Colombian NT. i started following the US team later in life as a teen. and just like you, if both were to ever meet in a world cup, Colombia has priority.

its perfectly fine to use "we" or "us" in this instance. regardless of where you reside.

Froboy69, Brasitusa and Redshift repped this.
  9. Carlos Montoya

Carlos Montoya New Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
  10. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well I hope Colombia will win but I doubt it. Colombias offense is strong and better than Brazils. But that doesnt necessarily matter.

11. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    The two other members who replied to you were spot on. My siyuation is similar. My passion for soccer started in Brazil at age 6 when I lived there with my father. See, the club soccer team I support, Cruzeiro, is Brazilian. My family has multiple background and multiple citizenships involving all three: American, Brazilian, and Italian. That's why I support all three. Differently to the two other users I do also say "we" and "us" when I talk about the USMNT and the Squadra Azzurra. I'm truly devoted to all three countries, I speak all three languages and have lived and worked extensively in all three. I will always support all three until the day I die. When they play against each other, it is tough. I get very indecisive and with emotions going up and down all over the place and allegiance can vary slightly depending on the circumstances. Most days it will be the USMNT first, Brazil a very close second or even tied, and Italy a tiny bit behind.

12. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I liked your chant but I'd suggest that you don't call them "timinho feio" (ugly little team); they are anything but, and I have a lot of respect for them.

13. francopuma

francopuma New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    there is no way this brazil is superior than colombia...only way brazil will win this one is for the refs...omg when brazil played mex, camerun, croatia it was very vulneareable....vs chile?, really?...i mean colombia is gonna win, brazil has not shown anything, just like argentina...they have great players but dont know how to play as a team and the only thing going for them is refs respecting their HISTORY, not their PRESSENTTT

14. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Lay down the refs part, please. If refs wanted to help Brazil they wouldn't have disallowed Hulk's goal against Chile. Controversial as it was, it would have been the easiest thing for a biased ref to look the other way and confirm that goal.

As far as Brazil and Colombia go, most people here including me do think that Colombia is the better team. This, however, is no guarantee that Colombia will win.

15. francopuma

francopuma New Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    if colombia continues to play like they have been play....objectively, n i ask u to please analize it, brazil is going down dude....no question about it

16. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All of Argentina and especially River Plate supporters will be with Colombia tonight as we have been throughout the whole world cup...

Also hard to be believe 3 years ago James Rodriguez was playing at Banfield with Falcioni... If you're European and don't know anything about South American football, Banfield in Argenina is a club the size of Getafe in Spain more or less, but James played there and one the title in 2009 and played the copa libertadores in 2010

VAMOS COLOMBIA CARAJO!!!!!!

jerrito, elviejomen and danielfrancog repped this.
  17. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Wouldn't you prefer to see an epic Brazil vs. Argentina final? That's what most Argentinians I spoke with want, and so do most Brazilians. So, for now, I'm rooting for Argentina against Belgium and I'd hope that Argentinians would root for Brazil against Colombia, because all that we all want is to see Brazil vs. Argentina in the final. Then we'll be back to fighting each other, but before it happens, if Brazil advances but Argentina doesn't I'll be disappointed.

Redshift and Christina99 repped this.
  18. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Yes, but this Cup has been full of surprises already. The best team doesn't always win.

19. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    OK, for the last several hours I'll be absent from BigSoccer, since I'm going now from Barra da Tijuca where I am, to the Fan Fest on Copacabana Beach, and will only be back late at night when the games are over.

20. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you've read my posts about Colombia in this very thread, you know I consider them a strong team and the toughest challenge we faced yet.

But this: (1) does not rhyme with "passeio"; (2) isn't something you'd ever say in a chant even if it did rhyme, since the whole point of a chant is to demoralize the other team and encourage your own.

Although "feio" literally means "ugly," it has other slang connotations as well, like "triste" (sad or sorry).

Like I said, the chant was posted in good fun. It's not analytical, but purely partisan.

21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know what argentines you're speaking too, but i live in buenos aires and i assure that no one i know cares about a brasil-argentina final... Most people I talk football with around here want brasil out and even more so because its colombia... Personally my dream final from the beginning has been argentina-colombia... maybe for the neutrals brasil-argentina is more appetizing but i'm not a neutral when it comes to either team

3 players from my club play on colombia and their captain played 3 seasons for us in the early 2000s and Falcao, who obviously is injured, played at river from 13 to 23 years old. So if you are a River Plate supporter and you aren't rooting for Colombia, there's something wrong with you

Imagine if Atletico Mineiro had 3 players on Belgium and the captain won 2 championships with you last decade and their star striker out injured was at your club 10 years... Would you still want argentina to win in that case?

22. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im in argentina too and most people have a contradictory feeling: they want an Argentina-Brasil final for sure, but they also kinda be happy if Brasil loses, cause they are our main rivals.

But i kinda agree with brasitusa that what people wants the most is to play Brasil in the final.

I also know a lot of argentinians who just love brasil in futbol and cheer for them except when they play us and always look for an argentina-brasil meeting

Brasitusa and Redshift repped this.
  23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I love the old brasil, sorry but this team with fred, jo, paulinho, david luiz, hulk, etc. is hardly a team that makes you want to root for them. Or see them in a final. I've never seen such an awful brasil team and quite frankly in footballing terms, the tournament will be much better when they are out

futbol in Miami, canis and Christina99 repped this.
  24. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If Brazil don't score in the first 15 min of the game, the pressure is going to start knocking the door of the Brazilians.
    Thats how Brazil killed Spain in the confederations, after that early goal it was just downhill for the Spaniards.

25. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #175 Redshift, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
    I get that contradiction. I want Argentina to be in the final, but I also want them to have a hard path to get there. It makes the World Cup (and any eventual triumph) better. Argentina x Netherlands is a game I've been wanting to see all tournament. Also, our path is pretty damn hard, and I don't want Argentina to be less exhausted if we both get there. :D

I want the Cup to stay in South America. The way in which I'd most like that to happen would be for Brasil to beat Argentina in the final, followed by Brasil beating the Netherlands in the final. Winning at home, after hosting what is, by most accounts, one of the best World Cups, would be spectacular. The party will go on for at least a week, if not longer, and will include everyone.

But if Brasil loses today, I will definitely support Colombia and Argentina to make it to the final.

In the final itself, I don't know who I would root for. On one hand, Argentina winning a World Cup in Brasil, against some other team, doesn't have the same sting. We'll never hear the end of it, but it would still be great for Messi to add a World Cup to his resume. On the other hand, it would also be cool to have a new Campeao from South America. It would solidify the status of Colombian football, and make CONMEBOL even stronger. I would probably decide who I'm rooting for with the run of play.

D.I.M, Christina99 and canis repped this.