2014 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ceezmad, Aug 19, 2013.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a nice goal by Tancredi.

2. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #877 FCKCEvans, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    Congrats Red Stars fans! Great gritty win last night!

Headed to Chicago today to visit a friend. Really regretting not booking a flight a day earlier so I could go to that game. Dang!

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am raelly looking forward to tonight's game between FCKC and Portland.

4. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Yes it was. My feed was so poor, at first I thought that shot was from Christen Press. I have actually been pretty impressed with Tancredi given her age and the amount of time she was out of the competitive game for school... I think she has looked really good for someone who has just returned to the field in past couple of weeks. Her experience and soccer IQ are evident.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  6. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    First of all. I'm very happy that Chicago won. Great effort. I must admit that when you predicted Reign's first loss I thought that it was a bold statement but you were right and I can't imagine how much fun it was to witness it from the stands. But saying that your team gets no love, you're wrong. I'm saying this as a Spirit fan. There are threads of some NWSL teams that are dead for weeks and it's ok. You can't force people to support your team. As long as fans are coming to games, everything's fine.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I understand. But I am also speaking for those other teams that get no or little love on these boards. This league is NOT just about Seattle and Portland.

8. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    I am (finally!) going to get to see the Red Stars play at Benedictine at the end of July (Houston game). I have seen them play in Boston (2x) and NJ (2x) and probably will see the DC game in DC. Keeping fingers crossed that it will be a good game and that my travel plans don't fall through.

mamalia repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #884 MRAD12, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    A little about Saturday night's game vs. Seattle.

I though Julie Johnston did a fantastic job on defense and calming everyone down. What a gem!
    Lori Chalupny did a good job of connecting defense and offense as much as possible and she along with Julianne Sitch did a good job of separating Fishlock and Little from combining. They had a tough assignment.

I wish Christen Press was more up front. I saw her too many times backtracking in midfield or actually on defense. She is too good of a scorer to be back so far, IMO.
    I thought Juliann Sitch did a phenomenal job marking and being a disruptive force between the duo of Fishlock and Little.
    Leon also did a fine job keeping the ball wide, backtracking and made some cool moves as she likes to do. Bywaters looked good. Erceg played well, Karina Leblanc was very good in goal making a couple of key saves and of course the perfect power shot by Tanc. Just a great effort collectively by the whole team.

As for the atmosphere, it was AWSEOME! Completely full stadium. After the game fans just kept hanging around even with lightning fireworks in the distance. Reminded me of that movie "We are Marshall".
    It was so cool to have a win in front of all those fans. Seems like everything lined up for the Red Stars Sat. night, including the weather which held off till the end with only a little rain and no interruptions.

They played "Sweet Home Chicago", "Happy" and songs from the band Chicago, and other upbeat songs for a long time on the stadium speakers after the game was over. People were dancing, laughing and just having a great time. I was just "giddy" running around talking to people, players, family members of players, other fans and generally anyone that would talk to me.

It was such a cool and fun atmosphere. I am so happy for fans of the Chicago Red Stars and I hope all those fans that came out and many came to see Hope Solo and the #1 team in the NWSL as well, that they will remember this atmosphere and come back and support the Red Stars and these players and other team's players that come in to play the CRS. The Red Stars, in my opinion are an important brand in the women's game and deserve our support in Chicago.

So I appeal to all Chicago soccer fans to keep supporting this team so that we have many more awesome moments like we did Saturday night - for many years to come.

kolabear, cpthomas, holden and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Even though Tanc scored, benching Hoy doesn't make sense.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not sure but he may have split up those two between last Wednesday against Portland and Saturday against seattle. Hoy started against Portland and Tancredi against Seattle. He did the same thing with Leon and Bywaters.
    Hoy has much more speed.

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Given they're in the middle of a five-games-in-seventeen-days stretch, I'd bet it's just roster rotation. Can't start your best players every game in a stretch like that.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From Jeff Kassouf's twitter a few days ago (hope he doesn't mind).

Jeff Kassouf @JeffKassouf · Jul 15
    Lost in #NWSL goalscorer of the week vote will be Lori Chalupny, a big part of Chicago shutting down potent Seattle attack in its 1st loss.

Lori may not be getting all the headlines this year. She may not be the shiny object that everyone on the boards wants to talk about game after game. However she is the rock, the calming figure, the inspirational leader, and non-stop great example for this team, the one that keeps everyone focused. You can see it from the seats. A REAL captain. And she is doing it without much noise or fanfare. Just quietly going about her business.

14. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yep...Yep...Yep....IMHO, Lori is the hardest working player in soccer, period. My favorite CRS player (among many I really like), period. Got my soccercrush going here.............

15. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    You know, she's kind of done it all - had it all and lost it all (more or less on the international stage)... but she is still passionate about the game. That experience, commitment and maturity are a big part of what she brings onto the field in every match. With so many young players stepping up big time for the Red Stars, you have to think she is a big part in their ability to do that.

16. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Tonight's game at Benedictine should feel like a playoff game. Can't wait to get there in a few hours.

ceezmad repped this.
  18. AlexJ17

AlexJ17 Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Today's gonna be a good day and do you know why?
    Because it's a Christen day!

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Certainly hope you're right.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Off to Benedictine.

21. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    I wish your coach would stop benching DiBernardo and Hoy.

I'd play Hoy at LAM, Bernardo at CAM, Bywaters at RAM, Chalups at DM, and Wenino at DM. With Chris at the striker spot where she is supposed to be.

22. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Gooooooooo Red Stars!!!!!

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Goal Portland :(

24. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    Yeah but 89 minutes and 42 seconds to go (+stoppage)! I am on delay... currently 19th minute.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 to 1. Not horrible.