2014 attendance discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The article used the Thorns as an example of how "big brother" leagues can bring success to women's sports (not saying I believe that, just saying that's the narrative).

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we would also need to look at the Tulsa shock, another WNBA team in a "minor" market. How do they do compared to Connecticut?

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #704 holden, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Notice the part I highlighted ("all the numbers") and the context of our discussion. All the numbers are not posted on his site and when I asked for them, he refused to share them. I was asking for the individual game attendance figures to fill in the missing ones I couldn't find on archive.org's archive of the WUSA site. The number of games I was missing was pretty small (about 6, if I recall correctly). But apparently he's gotta hold on to his secret data and won't share it. So no, he does not have all the numbers on his blog.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #705 holden, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    I didn't know they had a team in Tulsa. I don't follow basketball at all, so only went off of what the Boston Globe article stated. So, I found this page that lists the median attendance figures for 2013 and 2014. It looks like Tulsa is on the low end... but, then again, so is Connecticut and they apparently turned a profit. Tulsa is only 341 behind Connecticut in the median. So not sure if they made a profit on that, but they're not too far behind.

Another thing I found is in Kenn's numbers, Tulsa's average has apparently increased every year:
    2010: 4812
    2011: 4828
    2012: 5203
    2013: 5474

He doesn't have their 2014 average listed... but since their 2014 median was up, the average probably isn't down.