2014/2015 Bundesliga Thread

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by LongDuckDong, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #176 Epitome990, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    That's quite the amazing European journey you've been having. :)

I was there for around 10 days during the Holidays which was the longest I've ever been in Europe. Spent that time mostly in Northern Germany (Bremen, Hamburg, Berlin, Lübeck) and the Netherlands (Amsterdam, etc). I had to rush trying to fit in as many cities as I could on day trips. Wanted to check out at least one Belgian city, Gent was actually on top of that list. But at the end couldn't make it. The Thalys train also looked ridiculously expensive.

cortisoljunkie repped this.
  2. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had a rare opportunity to watch that match on a huge screen high def TV (as opposed to online, which is how I consume all of my Schalke content, being without Gol or FS2) and I ended up turning it off at halftime.

I am going to be back in Europe again myself, but nowhere near NRW this time around. I will be doing some work in Maribor and staying in the same hotel where Schalke and Chelsea during the group stage this season. That is about as close as I shall get.

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    http://sportbild.bild.de/bundesliga...ochen-bis-ich-zurueck-bin-39319538.sport.html

Leon Goretzka is nearing his comeback. MRI shows that his injury is almost completely healed, with only a slight muscular residue on one side. He's definitely on the right track being able to run again, do strength training, and exercises with the ball. Also going through a lot of coordination exercises to make sure no imbalance occurs as he adjusts his running style. Currently he's doing individual workouts but hopes to rejoin the team towards end of this month in training camp. He's about a few weeks away from full return.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  4. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say, I know quite a bit of German, but I would not have been able to translate that medical stuff about Goretzka. Thanks for the help. :)

5. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    #180 cortisoljunkie, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Yeah, it has been a lot of fun :D , but I have to go back to aus on Jan 26 because uni starts again on Feb 2 :sick: I missed out on these exact cities you visited - I'm hoping to come back sometime in the next few years and see them, and of course watch Bremen play :)

Well you get to breathe the same air as them :p - bit off the point, but I think it's awesome that you have a job that requires travel. I've met quite a few people like this, even at football games, who came to watch because they were 'in town for business'. I spent a bit of time before this CL game we are talking about, with a guy from China who had to go to Frankfurt for business and heard Chelsea where in Germany so he got a ticket. We met because we were both hopelessly lost in the Gelsenkirchen Hbf trying to find the connection to the arena :rolleyes:

I'm taking the Trikot undercover in Belgian Pro League :cool::cautious: (Club Brugge vs Mechelen).
    [​IMG]

CCinGermany and Epitome990 repped this.
  6. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to go downstairs to get the 302 there. I lived near the Arena in Buer for over a year and regularly found myself in situations at night where my train upstairs arrived within a minute of the last 302 departure for 20 or more minutes, forcing me to RUN down there. The GE Hbf is nothing wonderful now, but back before the pre-World Cup facelift it was a real shithole that I wanted to spend as little time in as possible.

7. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was a costly but much needed three points.

8. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was a must win. I'm really wondering how RDM will handle squad rotation this week. I just hope we can get another win out of these next two games.

CCinGermany and cortisoljunkie repped this.
  9. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    3 points would be good, 4 points awesome. Maybe di matteo can repeat his 2011-12 CL final antics, and we can take a point from allianz. But the big game will be against BMG; I'm not sure if it is too early to start talking about the 'six pointers' (I think that's more of a relegation thing...), but in the race for 3rd, grabbing three points whilst simultaneously preventing them from getting three points is massive.

LongDuckDong and CCinGermany repped this.
  10. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Huntelaar has been banned for 6 games (pending appeal), because of 'violent conduct'. Granted it looked, and was, f**king stupid, and deserved the red card and a subsequent 3 match ban.... but how the hell do they land at an 'act of violence' :cry::mad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31101211

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, clearly there was no intent to injure. This foul was about 1000 times better than the foul that got Jones banned for 4 matches.

12. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Kevin Prince, Schalke's answer to Mario Balotelli. The guy is doing a Kirchhoff; we get the ball in a turnover, against 10 men, Sam, Meyer, EMCM* are flying forwards ....and he holds the play up, then passes it backwards. FFS. A lot of people love him, and clearly Schalke see something in him, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that is?

* brilliant player, but I'd rather he never took another penalty. ever.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he only played today because it was a midweek game and we have so many injuries. I don't expect him to play much this spring, especially with Draxler and Goretzka healthy.

14. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know we have been told to expect Goretzka soon...but what is the time table on Draxler?

I am more than chuffed with a point today.

15. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    I hate these midweek games, never get a chance to watch them properly. Decent result, gaining a point on the road against Bayern. Sucks that EMCM flubbed on that penalty, could have been the difference maker. Giefer's injury is a bit concerning, especially having Fahrmann already out. Wellenreuther did a nice job though on his debut to keep this game leveled.

16. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Fingers and toes crossed!

I haven't had any luck finding info on Draxler either... As for the point; if you asked before kick off, I would have loved it too ...but knowing that we spent most of the game against 10 men, and also had a missed penalty, I'm torn between appreciating a good performance and feeling like this was a missed opportunity. I think the team was really too defensive, after the red card, and it took the goal from Robben to switch the attitude and approach to what it should have been most of the game :unsure:

Awesome for Australians! 6am is great for me; I get to school at 5:30am, watch the game, then straight to business :p It's the Sunday games that really suck; Monday morning at 1:30 or 4:30 AEST, spend the whole of Monday like some zombie. :confused:

CCinGermany and Epitome990 repped this.
  17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if we get 3 points against Gladbach, all is forgiven. Otherwise, it will really seem like a waste.

cortisoljunkie and CCinGermany repped this.
  18. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Huntelaar's suspension reduced to 4 games. Still bs but good to have him return in time for the Revierderby.

19. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Bizarre starting 11...so defensive. Don't know what Sam's done to upset Di Matteo, I thought he was one of the best from the game at Munich :( ...and I think I've made my feeling about Kirchhoff pretty clear.

[​IMG]

20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sam must be exhausted from earlier in the week. He hasn't played a full match in a long time. He also could be injured. Who knows with Kirchoff He'll be playing midfield and this is a chance to redeem himself.

21. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    10 minute delay b/c of bomb scare ... :unsure:

Also just heard that Sam is indeed injured :/

22. cortisoljunkie

Jun 24, 2014
    melancholy hill
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Solid.

Prince making me eat my words from the game in Munich, stellar cross, and Barnetta being 'Johnny on the Spot'. The commentators were saying that he enjoys having the freedom to run around without being tied to a position or specific area of the park, and that it seems Di Matteo has given him the license to do this for the game.

Uchi looks damn tired (completely forgivable of course), there were a few times with the ball in midfield, usually on the counter, where we have had the ball and the player in possession has looked to play out wide to the right and there was no one there.

Epitome990 and LongDuckDong repped this.
  23. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And your favorite Kirchhoff turned in a solid performance as well!

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was gonna mention that the goal was Kirchoff, to Boateng, to Barnetta. Those were the three players everyone thought would fail today. Funny how those things happen.

I'm actually looking forward to the match against Frankfurt. Goretzka and Kolasinac should be getting back this week. It will be great to see them in training. Anyone know what Sam's injury is?

Epitome990 and cortisoljunkie repped this.
  25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I thought Kolasinac was out for longer - didn't he blow out his ACL?