2014/15 CCL: Group Stage

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by fridge46, May 28, 2014.

1. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
  2. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
  3. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I messed up the count... it's actually 12W 5L 5D for Mexico against CR.

I didn't double check the MLS count yet, but it looks like CR is just barely the easier league to play against.

Mexico has a win percentage 51% over MLS compared to a win percentage of 54% over the Ticos.

So, no it is infact easier for LMX to face the Ticos and the new 3 team group stage should be easier for Mexico, because the competition is easier. Except, like I said earlier it's harder for all the teams to advance in the new format because 1 out of 3 is harder compared to 2 out of 4.

LMX vs MLS
    2009: 1W 0L 3D
    2010: 6W 0L 2D
    2011: 3W 5L 2D
    2012: 8W 4L 2D
    2013: 7W 2L 1D
    2014: 2W 2L 2D
    2015: 0W 0L 0D
    TOTAL: 27W 13L 12D

LMX vs CR
    2009: 1W 1L 0D
    2010: 2W 0L 0D
    2011: 1W 0L 1D
    2012: 3W 1L 0D
    2013: 1W 0L 1D
    2014: 4W 2L 0D
    2015: 0W 1L 3D
    TOTAL: 12W 5L 5D

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Statistically speaking it is the same difficulty for liga mx to face mls or Costa Rica 1ra.

The sample size is bigger vs. MLS, I assume is because MLS gets more teams in the CCL.

5. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except there are 5 MLS teams, so if LMX played MLS teams in the group stage then they might have to play more then just 2.

6. Tejano

Tejano Member+

Sep 25, 2012
    Puro ATL
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Doesn't this mean concacaf made it easier for mls if crc=mls, since mls will always avoid ligamx?

The only ones who will really benefits is mls, and crc seems really screwed. For ligamx it is about even but with smaller room for error.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Canada. They can face liga mx.

But yes CR does deserve at least 1 team to be protected. And they do deserve at least 3 permanent spots. I think most reasonable people would agree to that.

8. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they made it easier for MLS and in doing so it IS easier for LMX as well.
    I am not disputing that it is easier for MLS and harder for CRC. I am disputing that it is harder for LMX... which is what most Mexico fans think. THIS IS FALSE. It is easier for LMX, because they only have to play 2 CR teams compared to having to play a possible 2 or 3 CR teams plus a possible 4 or 5 MLS teams.

What makes it easier for MLS also makes it easier for LMX.

Since the new 3 group stage you guys haven't performed as well... and that is because the 3 group stage format is harder... 33% chance of winning the group is harder then 50% chance. It doesn't matter if you face MLS or not the format is harder.

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be 33% if all teams were equal, but teams are not equal. Bayamon FC did not really have a 33% chance of winning the group. Maybe not 0% but pretty close to 0%.

That would be like saying every team that makes the world cup has a 1/32 chance of winning the cup. That is not correct, a few teams have a chance to win it, most other teams are there to just play and advance as far as possible.

10. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I get that... all things equal it is 33%. You can't deny that the format is harder for all teams involved, irregardless of the teams in each group.

Take Baymon FC maybe they have a (hypothetical) 5% chance to win the group with 3 teams. It would be easier for them if they could come in second in a 4 team group... I don't know how much easier, but it would be easier. This is the same for all teams.

So, again it is not harder for LMX because they have to face 2 CR teams instead of facing MLS teams. It is harder for them (and all teams) because the format is harder.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I can ;)

For example, Bayamon, before they had to play a 2 game elimination game, they could have been matched up with Tauro FC or with say Santos Laguna, just to make the group.

Then they would have to face a CA team, an MLS and/or a Liga MX team for 6 games and would have to finish second.

So in my opinion, the new format is better/easier for the bottom teams, as they can get lucky in one or two games and have a chance to advance vs. the prior format.

But to your main point, yes the new format is more challenging for the top teams (MX, MLS, CR1ra.)

I mean look at Portland, they won 3 games and lost 1, yet they still were eliminated due to the H2H.

Footsatt repped this.
  12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    #312 Pønch, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    I disagree with the bolded statement. It is undeniable that LigaMX teams are better than both MLS and CR - so, protecting MLS teams from facing LMX teams in the group face makes it (or at least it should make it) much easier for MLS teams to advance, while not really making much of a difference for LMX, since they can expect to beat both MLS and CR teams.

It would be the same if CR was protected against LMX in the group stage - the number of CR teams to advance would likely be greater.

So, to summarize, this format benefits MLS, doesn't make much of a difference for LMX, and screws us over :(

13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #313 Footsatt, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Except there are more MLS teams then CR teams. So if CONCACF opened it up so that LMX could play both MLS and CR teams then there are a possible 5 teams that LMX could face oppose to just 2. See, easier for LMX (except for the format).

------
    Edit:
    Currently LMX plays 1 or 2 CR teams (and maybe a CAN team) for a total of 2 or 3 decent teams. (thanks @ceezmad )

This could happen if LMX could play MLS teams and CR teams.
    LMX could play 2 CR teams plus 2 US teams, plus 1 CAN Team.

Facing a possible 3 decent teams is easier then a possible 5.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point by Footsatt, LMX fans will disagree, but if you are a Liga MX team you would think that a group of Municipal and Alpha United is easier than a group of DC United and Alpha United.

Really the league that gets screwed the most IMO is the Costa Rican league, and MLS gets the most help.

3 since Canada can also be matched up with Liga MX. (4 when CR gets the Belize extra spot).

Footsatt repped this.
  15. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Ah, I see what you are saying. Yeah, in that sense it is somewhat easier for LMX as well, since they face only a subset of the teams that could give them a run for their money. I agree with that.

16. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    True, but whatchagonnado. I don't see this changing in the near future due to economic factors.

But as we say in CR, we reserve the right to bitch and whine (nos reservamos el derecho al berreo :p)

Paul Calixte repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At best to not piss as many people off and to still make money (lets remember this tournament is not a cash printing machine) would be to replace one of the MLS (MLS#3 IMO) teams with CR#1.

I think that would be a good start.

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what are you guys jibber jabbing about?

This season´s CCL trophy has an owner

@ceezmad

you will

[​IMG]

19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has to be said: América-Saprissa is the kind of classic matchup for which you have these tournaments. In fact, the only CCL matches with more continental titles between the participants would be showdowns between any two of Cruz Azul, América and Pachuca.

jared9999 repped this.
  20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    you are correct, I just really want America to tie Cruz Azul and pass them in 2 years time......:D:cool:

21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #321 Footsatt, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    This statement is not a fact.

Saprissa has zero CCL titles. Just like every other non Mexican team.

This is a true statement if you change "CCL" to "CCL & CCC" (CONCACAF Champions CUP). Although two of the CUP wins came before 1996 (before MLS even existed).:rolleyes:

Edit: and in fact the only team to challenge a Mexican team for the championship of the CCL is a MLS team. No other league has come close.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did say Continental titles, winning the Cup before the CCL started gave you the title of Concacaf champion.

23. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edit... you are right. My bad.

Although 2 of those titles still happened before MLS existed.

24. Tejano

Tejano Member+

Sep 25, 2012
    Puro ATL
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    No one ever posted the goal differential between LigaMX vs MLS and LigaMX vs CR. I suspect LigaMX and CR are much closer than LigaMX vs MLS. The beatdowns I remember have usually been at the expense of MLS. Correct me if I'm wrong.

25. JRB92

JRB92 Member+

Sep 23, 2009
    You mean the one where Concacaf fixed the draw to have MLS teams avoid Mexican teams until the final?

AMLO2018 and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.