2013 WNY FLASH

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by CoachJon, Nov 22, 2012.

1. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here We Go! This is my wish list for Flash 2013, because I want to have the past players back. I left Alex Morgan and Marta off the list due to the low chance of them playing for the Flash 2013. I did not make a full team and I may be overloaded with defenders, but I want Alex Sahlen and Kim Brandao back because they have been with the team for 3 years so far and can cultivate the team culture.
    THE HEART/CORE
    Alex Sahlen - D
    McCall Zerboni - M
    Kim Brandao - D
    Brit Cameron - G

THE CANADIANS
    Candace Chapman - D
    Christine Sinclair - F
    Kelly Parker - M

THE USWNT & USWNT POOL
    Whitney Engen - D
    Meghan Klingenberg – M/F
    Ashlyn Harris - G

FLASH ALUMNI
    Ali Riley - D
    Becky Edwards - M
    Brittany Bock – M
    Kandace Wilson - D
    Adriana - F
    Angela Salem – M/F
    Katherine Reynolds - D
    Katy Frierson - M

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That definitely would be great to get all those players in/back. =-) Adriana might be a huge stretch, though - it'll be interesting to see what the salary cap is an how likely teams are to get non-North-American internationals (Adriana for the Flash, the Aussies for the Breakers, etc.)

3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    She is contacted with Malmö for 2013 (1½ years contact signed during the summer) . So isn't avaible for WNY until 2014

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland has dibs on Sinclair.:)

CANAmerican repped this.
  5. Rampage

Rampage Member

May 8, 2012
    Wambach needs to end her carreer in Rochester (aka WNY Flash). For all the support Rochester has given her over the years it's time for her to come play at home. The opportunity is finally here.

JanBalk repped this.
  6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll trade you Abby for Sinc.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Hm.. Abby just bought a house in Portland. Rapinoe did too. I think Christine still has the apartment she shared a few years ago or she could stay with Milly.

8. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Abby won't come back to Rochester, nor should she. The novelty would wear off too quickly, and her presence would overshadow the rest of the team. I've always subscribed to the 'less is more' theory in such cases. Better to have her back a couple of times during the season as a special attraction, it'll be more meaningful that way. Besides, I don't think her style of play fits Lines' system.

I'd trade for Sinc too and bring her back. Hopefully, she enjoyed her previous time here, and Canada is a two hour drive away ;). Bring her pal Candace Chapman back with her too!

CoachJon and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

There is also the question of who would pay her salary. The new league isn't much interested in subsidizing foreign national team players.

USA, Canada, and Mexico teams will subsidize their players. I hadn't heard any other FAs were in on the deal.

10. Rampage

Rampage Member

May 8, 2012
    Those are good points, but it makes for an awkward situation when 90% of the home crowd will be cheering for Abby and the visiting team, which happened when Magic jack came to town. We are not talking about the US team coming here with her. We are talking about a league. I would like to have a diehard fan base for WNY. I think no other player has developed as strong of a connection with a community than Abby has. It's an exception that should be made.

11. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree;; I think it will be less good for the league and for the Flash to have Abby here, rather than elsewhere. Rochester already had lots of Abby fans; we need more Flash fans.

Abby, Hope, Alex are nationwide stars and will be the most important fan magnets on any team they play for. They will draw both at home and on the road.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I can see it both ways but at this point in her career I think she can do the most good in WNY. From a regional stand point ur not gonna find many players with ties to that area. Also, I agree that Sinc is going back to her college roots, tho if she didnt, Rochester is just a close to Canada as Portland. She also has some regional advertising deals that would benefit from her presence.

13. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rampage said:
    Those are good points, but it makes for an awkward situation when 90% of the home crowd will be cheering for Abby and the visiting team, which happened when Magic jack came to town. We are not talking about the US team coming here with her. We are talking about a league. I would like to have a diehard fan base for WNY. I think no other player has developed as strong of a connection with a community than Abby has. It's an exception that should be made.
    quote="kernel_thai, post: 26826459, member: 214700"]I can see it both ways but at this point in her career I think she can do the most good in WNY. From a regional stand point ur not gonna find many players with ties to that area. Also, I agree that Sinc is going back to her college roots, tho if she didnt, Rochester is just a close to Canada as Portland. She also has some regional advertising deals that would benefit from her presence.[/quote]

I was at the 'Abby games' in Rochester. The fans were chanting "Ab-by Wam-bach" from time to time, but not 'Go magic jack." They were cheering for the Flash and supporting Abby. I disagree that Abby will do the most good in WNY. If anyplace needs her it is probably Kansas City or DC.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I was at the 'Abby games' in Rochester. The fans were chanting "Ab-by Wam-bach" from time to time, but not 'Go magic jack." They were cheering for the Flash and supporting Abby. I disagree that Abby will do the most good in WNY. If anyplace needs her it is probably Kansas City or DC.[/quote]

KC may be problem in general. If Chaney ends up in Chicago in pretty much leaves Sauerbrunn as the only wnt player with actual ties to the region. As to Wambach, she would certainly help market KC or DC or East Jesus. Question is what's left in WNY. If u take the 2011 roster u have to figure Sinclair goes to Portland, Marta stays in Sweden and Morgan goes to Seattle. If they all go then its real hard to see which major player would pick WNY. If Sinc wanted to return to Rochester, then Abby could be better used somewhere else.

15. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    KC may be problem in general. If Chaney ends up in Chicago in pretty much leaves Sauerbrunn as the only wnt player with actual ties to the region. As to Wambach, she would certainly help market KC or DC or East Jesus. Question is what's left in WNY. If u take the 2011 roster u have to figure Sinclair goes to Portland, Marta stays in Sweden and Morgan goes to Seattle. If they all go then its real hard to see which major player would pick WNY. If Sinc wanted to return to Rochester, then Abby could be better used somewhere else.[/quote]

who said sinclair was going to portland? i'd think she'd like to go back to wny. sahlen seems like a solid owner and with an excellent organization and facilities. press or henderson would make a nice marta replacement, if either fits in lines system. plus press' game isn't much different from marta's, as witnessed this past season in sweden. what will be left for wny? another champioshipo_O. i'm sure co-cap becky edwards will be back to spear head that mid-field.

16. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I like your list but Abby bought a house in Portland and isn't going buy a house in Portland so she can play in soccer in Rochester. The players I highlighted either will stay in Sweden/Germany or play for a team other than WNY. I'm not sure what Katy is going to do but I want to congratulate her on her engagement.
    Angela Salem is playing soccer in Australia along with WNY teammates Emily Von Egman and Tori Huester. Toni Pressley(Russia) would be an interesting signing since she snuck a rocket shot past the Red Stars!
    Press is staying in Europe/Ger/Swe, Henderson loves Boston and I'm not sure we could steal her away. This years Senior Class has many great players and I'm sure WNY will get their share. Also Aaron has a way of seeking out great talent from around the world but I'm not sure he will be able to sign the players he wants because of the Salary Cap. His hands will be tied.
    All in all time will tell and I feel US Soccer is going to have a lot more to say in this new league than predicted.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think folks overestimate the concept that players want to play in the same city they live. I know zero professional athletes, but I suspect this is not an overwhelming truth, except for maybe New York and Los Angeles.

I see that Australia W-league regular season ends at the end of March, which complicates the signing of players playing there, but I'm thinking if a team wanted an Australian league player, it would sign her.

I remain hopeful that Sinc will be back. She signed with the Flash for 2012 before the league went down. McCall's twitter account still has a WNY Flash wallpaper and she identifies herself as WNY Flash #7.

18. littleboo3853

littleboo3853 New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Elma NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you littleboo!
    Here is the overview to give folks the cost structure; there are other 'packages' as well. Each week in December, there are prizes for season ticket buyers, awarded by drawing names from those buying.
    From WNYFLASH.com: Reserve your seat today to see every WNY Flash goal! Your Flash season ticket includes a ticket to all 11 regular season games at Sahlen's Stadium. 2013 Flash Season Ticket Package Prices: Club Level - $220.00; Premium Level - $160.00; Sideline Level - $125.00 ; American Outlaws - $100.00; Family Package - $350.00 (Four season tickets)

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Sinclair is from BC. I have no idea where she hangs out when she isn't playing, but I'm guessing it's on the West Coast, not the East. I don't think the draw of Sinclair will get many people coming across the border to watch her play, if that's what you are going for.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true with the "major leagues", but the reality of pretty low pay for a lot of the players means that staying close to home is important. If you have to get by on $1k a month, it's better to do it while living with your folks than in a city you have never lived.

Sure, the big names can do it more easily, but they also have the choice to not join the league at all. Giving them a comfortable choice, means they are more likely to hang around.

22. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting. What I like is that the ticket prices, at the different levels, are at a level that will allow the development of a good fan base. (I compared them to University of Portland soccer season tickets and the levels and amounts are almost a match, so I know people will pay those amounts for season tickets.)

23. littleboo3853

littleboo3853 New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Elma NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would not be too sure of anything yet, i like to play the wait and see game. i wish silly season was over.

24. batman54

batman54 Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Toronto
    I just heard Christine Sinclair interviewed on the radio in Toronto. She said she'd be playing in the Women's league, but didn't mention what team she'd be on.

25. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that she will come to the Flash - after all, we are the only club to play Oh Canada at our home games!