2013 Hot Seat or Getting Warm Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ConfuciusSoccerMom

ConfuciusSoccerMom New Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Thank you. That makes sense:)

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I should have added a chance for advancement.

3. ConfuciusSoccerMom

Apr 1, 2012
    Hmmm....not sure about that one.

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Name an assistant in the ACC who became a head coach in the ACC immediately.

( Anson doesn't count. He was a men's head coach first)

5. ConfuciusSoccerMom

Apr 1, 2012
    I'm not as sharp - or connected - as you guys. Just a regular inquiring soccer mom! But I would think being an assistant at a decent ACC would get you more looks as head coach at other programs down the road. I'm thinking it's not that or more money, because I can't believe that it's more money. Gotta go with "no BS."

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, no BS was a bit of a tease. You can find BS anywhere.

There is a pressure to produce in the ACC that there isn't a lot of places. But there are lots of reasons to go elsewhere. Maybe you have a better connection with people elsewhere. Maybe you have a better experience with other recruiting areas. Maybe expectations are different. Perhaps you just don't have the respect of an AD who is mostly concerned with the revenue sports. Perhaps the head coach has other agendas than your advancement.
    Let's take a concrete ACC example. Cindy Parlow Cone had NO chance for advancement at UNC. And since she was a volunteer assistant coach, there as no money for her as a coach. It's not a mystery she took a job across the country.

I might have come late here. What program are you referring to?

7. ConfuciusSoccerMom

Apr 1, 2012
  8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  9. ConfuciusSoccerMom

Apr 1, 2012
    Hmmm....so, BS it is! But then there is one assistant who has been there for many years! And since she played there, she knew what she was getting into, right?!

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Can't say...but they have regular turnover.

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #1361 Soccerhunter, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    My read of the Cindy Parlow Cone issue was indeed that there was no advancement possibility at UNC. But she knew that when she signed on, with long time assistant coaches in place with over 30 and 15 years of tenure. They were (and still are) not going anywhere. (These folks seem to like working together and at UNC. Director of Women's Soccer Operations Tom Sander has also been there 22 years now, with Bill Palladino and Chris Ducar now in their 35th and 19th year respectively.)

My point being that the move to volunteer assistant was extremely successful for her as she was able to move from 2 seasons at UNC on to a head coaching position in the NWSL and won the professional championship. (Her resignation from the Thorns was indeed for personal reasons.) Before taking theUNC position she was coaching for a local soccer club, and that position just didn't set her up for serious advancement. Basically she worked it out with Anson to coach at UNC and even though there was no money, those two years (and Anson promoting her) yielded a pretty plum soccer coaching job. If she wanted to, I am confident that that move put her in a position today that she could be a very strong candidate for almost any college or professional head coaching job. Time will tell.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's going to graduate school, right?

One possibility is that being at Northeastern could more compatible with her being in graduate school than at BC. I took a quick look at their schedules this year, and it looks like traveling with Northeastern would be more compatible with being in school than being at BC. And, the assistant coach time demands at Northeastern otherwise may be fewer than at BC.

What this could add up to is that she may not be seeing her future as being in college soccer coaching. If that's true, then how one interprets the recent events could be completely different.

13. coachjake

coachjake New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tim Santoro

14. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    then why (forgive me if this has already been answered in this thread) why did she up and leave after winning a championship?

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Several possibilities.

She had said she was having problems with memory and concussion syndrome. I remember one interview early in the season when she couldn't remember names. She shrugged and said " I've had a lot of concussions".
    I think we are just starting to understand long term concussion effects, but you will recall she retired from playing because of them.

And when she quit the explanation was that the stress of coaching and time on the road wasn't helping either that issue or her relationship with her husband.

Her husband was the hired as the fitness guy for the Timbers, so her coming here was a sort package deal. They were hired together and left together, so you would also have to look at whatever happened with his job.

Lastly, she stated she missed the East coast. Maybe being closer to family was a consideration.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

His title is associate head coach. DaLuz is still listed as head coach.

So even if he takes over the top job, it won't be from being an assistant.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a difference between having a concussion and having post concussion syndrome (PCS). In some cases, people who have a concussion appear to recover fully. In come cases, however, they suffer long term effects -- they have PCS. Some of the more typical symptoms of PCS are (1) reduced memory skills, (2) reduced organizational skills, (3) reduced or eliminated ability to multi-task, (4) reduced ability to handle stress. There are a lot of coping skills people with PCS can learn to manage their condition -- for example, always put your car keys in the same place so you don't have to remember where you put them; educate those around you that when you are focused on something they should not interrupt you; and keep your life relatively simple so you are not under too much stress. If indeed Cindy has PCS, which appears to be the case, it is no wonder she decided she could not keep coaching at this level. It would have been very difficult all by itself, and coaching at this level and maintaining a healthy marriage relationship at the same time would have been nearly impossible.

This is the reality of the concussion/multi-concussion world. It is extremely important that those suffering concussions, and the people around them, take the concussions very seriously. It makes what FIFA allowed during the Men's World Cup extremely irresponsible on a world-wide sports scale.

Soccerhunter repped this.
  18. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Being from New England here is why I believe she left BC. Leone at Northeastern seems to be a very energetic, passionate coach. Players seem to respond very well to her and she has a great demeanor. She has played at highest levels and coached at the highest level. Very visible in the soccer community here. Would be a good person to work for and learn from.

I have had very few interactions with Foley at BC. The assistants there pretty much do EVERYTHING, including camps, local recruiting, and community events. I rarely see her there. And the rare exceptions she is there she seems disconnected and rather brash. I would think if you work for her you have no life since you do everything and then you work for someone who just doesn't strike me as being a nice person. Having spoken to others who know her far better than me the consensus seems to be she is not well-liked and her success is due to having others do the work for her. If given the opportunity to work for a quality boss that will help you improve as a coach and you get a better work-life balance then it is a decision that is easy to understand.

There are some red flags that concern me. The last few assistants have gone on to Harvard, Syracuse, one who was fired for drinking with players (Sarah Dacey), and now Northeastern. None are perceived to be steps 'up' and all remain assistants. Lot of turnover. The turnover seems to be hurting their recruiting too now as some of the best players from New England are going elsewhere. New hire is Kristen Zurmuhlen, who was a good prep player from NH and had a good career at Stanford. Let's see if she lasts or not.

ConfuciusSoccerMom repped this.
  19. coachjake

coachjake New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What??!! Santoro has been the head coach of NC State since the 2013 season.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #1370 Cliveworshipper, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Yes, I was quoting his bio from when he was employed at Wake. They still listed just recently. But it doesn't change that he didn't hold the title of assistant coach when NC State hired him.

From his NC State bio.

So...not an assistant. He was associate head coach for the deamon deacons, and that is the position Wake also lists him as having when he left.

From his Wake bio:

So, he wasn't an assistant when he was hired. He was an associate head coach.

I repeat...

Can you name any assistants from an ACC school who immediately became head coaches at an ACC school? I still can't think of any, but I don't follow the ACC history all that closely. Surly you fans of the conference should be able to come up with one, but I just don't see being an assistant in the ACC as being a promotion path to being a head coach in the conference.

21. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    So 1 year of Associate HC and 4 years as Assistant Coach....and that doesn't fit the bill? Come on. Anyway, Chugger Adair at VT. Or is there an exemption there too?

22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, here is his wiki entry.

So, I guess yeah he was an assistant at VT, but again, he came to the ACC from an associate head coach position at UC Santa Barbara. And whether he was really an assistant is open to question. His VT bio says he was an associate head coach at UCSB before he came to VT and retained that status at VT.

I still don't see that as an assistant from the ACC becoming the head coach. If you hold that title, you aren't getting the top job in the ACC.

23. coachjake

coachjake New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Assistant coach, associate head coach, a dubious distinction for the purposes of this thread.... it` asilly argument but par for the course

Lensois repped this.
  24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed coachjake, that is a silly distinction. An associate head coach is a glorified assistant coach, it's the #2 position on the totem pole regardless of the title you read into. The question cliveworshipper you asked is who became an ACC assistant coach to an ACC head coach? Without stupid semantics that is Tim Sanotoro, Chugger Adair, and Jon Morgan (when Maryland was in the ACC).

25. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Strosberg who was an assistant at the University of Virginia prior to being named Head Coach at Clemson