2013 FIFA U20 World Cup

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 19, 2013.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I came up with a list last week of significant eligible players that didn't go for one reason or another:

Ravel Morrison, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Josh McEachran, Will Keane, Michael Keane, Connor Wickham, Jack Butland, Raheem Sterling, Will Hughes, Luke Shaw, Andre Wisdom, Nathan Redmond and Nick Powell.

2. Wakaredia Buker

Apr 25, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What do you mean by this, exactly? To me, Ross Barkley has been the best english player by far. Is physique what we should be looking at when judging a young striker? Or should technical ability and development be the main focus? We could have used a 6'6 player up top, and he would have been "influential", but that's not the way to go.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Physique IS indeed a factor - you may not like it but pace is an other one. The ability to play is another one. There is nothing complicated about this. What I was saying was it was foolish to focus criticism at Kane, the front man, who was our most influential player in the first two games (it wasn't just me who noticed this, Whackadoodle - or did you have the sound down). By the way physically Kane is pretty unremarkable. But he wasn't in the last game and we lost.

Kane was our best player in last year's u19 Finals - that's is where we qualified for this world cup. Germany, Italy and Holland didn't qualify. Along with Brazil and Argentina in South America. However, Kane didn't play in the last game. We lost it.

Stones seemed to go under the radar but he looks like a Premiership player in the not too distant - tall, good runner and assertive.

Over and out.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bit of a heads up for anyone suffering from withdrawals and who doesn't mind watching foreigners - France v Turkey is on tonight. With us not being in I kinda forgot about it all.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Uruguay knock out Spain. Will be interesting to see if the two teams from our group can make the semis.

6. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know it was only a friendly but how did we beat Uruguay 3-0? Why would they try any less than us? Maybe our players played better because there was no pressure.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It wasn't even a friendly. Looked like a training match. Sure they would have been trying but it's not even a real match experience.

posteador repped this.
  8. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You got your answer , talking about players how come Thorne wasn't called ? is he injured ?

9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He started playing regularly for WB but then got carried off with what looked a bad injury - I assume he was still injured so didn't get a call up.

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Iraq make the semi-finals.

12. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's France's tournament to lose now for me.

13. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

Pretty much.

14. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Uruguay look really good. They can definitely beat France. They will park the bus and France can be very wasteful as we saw against Uzbekistan. Uruguay are very solid defensively and won't give France that many chances to score plus they are dangerous on the break.

15. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Already counting out Iraq to beat Uruguay?

16. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Yes

17. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

Uruguay love the underdog giant killer role. Some of these Uruguayan kids already know about finals since they reached the finals of the U17 in Mexico. They will be eager for a second chance.

As for us (Chile) we are out but we did the homework for France, a couple of Ghana players are suspended and most of them are exhausted. Easy route for France now.

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  19. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
  20. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK

I heard the rumours but in the end (if these are true) it doesn't matter to us (or no other team for that matter as there seems to be no other team complaining), all they are doing is hurting themselves by making their youth look better than they are. I take comfort that Chile was close to getting a result against them without our starting lineup.

As destiny will have it, Chile will play Iraq in a friendly again, this time with full internationals on neutral European soil. That match will be a good gauge to see where everyone is at.