2013-2015 U-20 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jsk14, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
  2. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    3-2 final we lose... However, as the things stand right now, we're more or less in anyway.

Really tough game they had to play in that torrential downpour and in front of crazy amount of Indonesian home fans so I don't want to criticize them that much, but at the same time let's remember that the final tournament is in Myanmar and we may have to play in the same conditions come that time. Hopefully a lesson learned for them.

This team seems to be offence first defence second though and that does kinda worry me. There looks to be holes in D in this edition of the team.

3. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Officially qualified now, albeit a bit embarrasingly.

Then again, in the qualifiers of the previous generation we also squeezed in as a 2nd placed team and ended up winning the whole thing in the final tourney, so hopefully this group will get it together too.

4. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    phew....that was a close call. That was one hell of a condition to play. I'm not going fault too much on the players today considering all things that went. We had to have our GK and MF come off during that timeout and I am wondering why. That was two valuable substitutions wasted quickly. Lee Jung-bin missing was effective as well (had to go back due to an interview with the university he is going to).

But as mentioned what's more important is the final qualification stage next year. Kim Sang-ho seems to like 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 the most. What he'll need to do though, is go around the whole country during the upcoming months and find the best talents for this generation. Do what Lee Gwang-jong did by doing a little KFA 'audition' (not a real one of course).

Btw, these Indonesians have unbelievable interest and support on this team. They had 50,000 people in the stadium :eek: I think this might be their golden generation or something.
    Their captain who scored all three goals seems to have the most fans.

5. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    there has been real push for Indonesia to be a proper team in the AFC lately. starting out at the grass routes and all that. i think on a neutral site or at home we would have easily taken them but its progress for them. they certainly have the huge population to be a force if they play their cards right.

6. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Population means absolutely nothing in terms of sporting ability.

Chingoo repped this.
  7. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Infrastructure has proven to be the most important factor. But population does matter imo. I think it's more that it has diminishing returns at a certain point.

8. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I hope we meet again next year ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    What makes people good at soccer is a very complicated subject, in my eyes. Many factors could potentially influence the player in question: Resources available in the environment (rich or poor country, training facilities), cultural background (which sports are held in high esteem, etc.). All these can be called "environmental variables". Of course "genetic limits" have to play some kind of role as well.

Brazil has over 10 million registered soccer players, Argentina has about 2.5 million. This means that Uruguay has a smaller male population than these countries have registered soccer players. Historically they’re not better than Argentina or Brazil but for such a small country they can give us a good spanking.

10. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well of course there are other factors in play besides a large population...the key part of my post being working at the grass roots. there have been strong efforts to get these ASEAN countries competitive at the youth levels for starters and make football training more uniform nationwide. Indonesia in particular also have been working with Japanese based trainers (who learned their trade from the Brazilians) to build up the program from the ground up. work on ball manipulation and basic skills (stopping, starting, first touch, etc.).

11. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No offense, but your opinion doesn't really mean anything. Plenty of studies have shown that population does not indicate sporting success.

12. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I didn't say population indicated sporting success. I said population matters too. I thought you meant population means absolutely nothing in terms of sporting ability.

13. edkwolverines

edkwolverines Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sorry for miscommunication. But population still doesn't matter for sporting ability. You're comment about infrastructure was more on point. Having lots of people doesn't mean good athletes. Look at India. 1.5 billion people and the only sport they're relevant at, most of the world doesn't care about.

14. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    that's where culture comes in. cricket is arguably the world's second popular sport behind football and a big part of india's culture. i think population plays a factor when you take into consideration the talent pool. the more potential people you have, the greater the odds a country would have world class athletes. it's not the main and may not be the most important factor but it's definitely in the equation.

Ohhii repped this.
  15. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Full clip of Korea vs Indonesia

Hwang Hee-chan with a nice run at the beginning.

The interest from Indonesian fans and media is unbelievable for an U18 team. I wish our fans....or more importantly the media! would have at least half of that kind of interest on our team. If this same match was played in Korea I can imagine that the crowd would have been less than a 1000 with no TV coverage.
    50,000 :eek:

16. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

you should see how crazy their fans are for their domestic league. Arema has some intense fans.

17. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah these South East Asian countries really love their football. Example being the other week when Australia were playing Vietnam, the live stream on youtube (in vietnamese of course) peaked just over 100,000 viewers. They sure love their football in those countries.

18. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  19. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    [​IMG]

If there is Hwang Sun-hong in the pro league, there is Lee Chang-won in the amateur league.
    Won 3 consecutive K League U-18 Challenge League titles, Pohang U-18 (Pocheol High Schools)'s coach gives his footballing philosophy -

http://sports.media.daum.net/soccer...1027&newsid=20131108090809428&p=interfootball

[​IMG]

One day, when he has had enough with Pocheol, and there is someone with familiar vision to take over at Pocheol, I would like this man to take over the U-20 in the future.
    http://sports.media.daum.net/soccer...1027&newsid=20131108090809428&p=interfootball

20. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #70 Jitevra, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Kim Sang-ho interview on his job so far

[​IMG]

Latest
    Meeting the same players after 6 years
    On the Indonesia match
    The type of players he wants
    About his football on the pitch
    The goals
    http://www.kfa.or.kr/news/news_view.asp?tb_name=interview_gisa&g_idx=1546&g_gubun=1

jsk14 repped this.
  21. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Jeju training camp squad

http://www.kfa.or.kr/news/news_view.asp?tb_name=kfa_gisa&g_idx=11124&g_gubun=2

Well this officially concludes that Seo Myung-won has indeed signed with Daejeon Citizens.

Only 3 players from K League. Others probably getting used to their first life as pro in respective club training camps.

Cho Yoseob probably caught the eyes of Kim Sang-ho from that final match.

22. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Nice to hear the news about Seo Myung-won.

23. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    TaegukWarrior repped this.
  24. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club: