2013/2014 Season Thread [poll]

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by LongDuckDong, Jul 17, 2013.

?

Season thread name?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2013.
  1. Come Kell-er high water!

20.0%
  2. From Keller to Top!

60.0%
  3. Keller der Hersteller (of wins)

20.0%
  4. Other, write-in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never expect them to play well, so when they do I'm pleasantly surprised.

2. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hate playing in Stuttgart. Doesn't matter how bad they are at that moment, we will lose anyway. Blech.

3. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Huntelaar is out with a throat infection. Farfan is out with an allergic reaction? What the hell?

Szalai
    Draxler - Meyer - Goretzka
    Boateng - Neu
    Kola - Matip - Ayhan - Hoogland
    Fahrmann

?

4. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fits our season. Luckily Wolfsburg and Leverkusen didn't win today. Need onl a win to secure at least 4th place, and an additional point for third.

Szalai looks like he is coming out of his slump. Still not as good as Huntelaar but should be serviceable.

There are rumours Kola might have an offer by ManUtd. Would hate to lose him but I guess we have to consider offers above 10m.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 million euros seems fair. Unfortunately, LB is like the one position we don't have any youth prospects. We do have all those promising U19 CBs, maybe one of them can learn the LB position? Obviously we have Aogo as a starter.

6. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    10 million are the starting point. If we qualify for the CL, which looks reasonable, a large chunk of that money would turn instantly into taxes we have to pay. No need to sell him, if the club at the end only gets 6m or so to work with. Kolas contact runs until 2017, he doesn't have a buy out clause as far as I know. ManUtd has to wow us.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller got out-coached again. Not blaming the loss on him at all, but he definitely got out-coached. Also, fitness continues to be an issue with this team. We always get outworked, even when we dominate games.

8. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Feels like we are back to where we were in the first half with all the doubt surrounding Keller and the team.

It does indeed look like the team is tired, at least mentally, but you can't see it in the numbers. They ran more than Gladbach and at a pretty good clip compared to most other games in the season.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably for the best. Keller's record in big game is horrible. I think it's important that we're all reminded of this weakness going into next season so that the higher-ups can make well informed decisions.

10. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I sure hope we're getting Tuchel in a year. Doesn't look like he will join Leverkusen so there aren't many options for him to improve in the Bundesliga.

11. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man, I'm glad we won in Freiburg. That was the win we needed. Fourth and qualification for the CL qualification is finally secure. Can't see us losing against Nürnberg at home, which would secure us third place. I doubt there were many who thought that possible in the winter break.

Today is our annual member meeting. There was a lot of bad blood in the build up but it looks like most of the contentious motions were withdrawn and will be discussed in small groups to find a compromise.

Btw Santana sucks. Boy he sucks or at least he sucked in the match. It looked like every pass of his went out or got caught by Freiburg. I will also be glad that Hoogland will leave after this season. I very much appreciate what he did in the last year but he is just not up to our level.

Epitome990 repped this.
  12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the whole, this ruckrunde has been impressive, but the ending has been rather flat.

I sure would love some details. This stuff is hard to find for those thousands of miles away. I saw some German language articles, but I'm still not quit fluent at this point in my life so I still prefer reading more complicated analysis in English.

Agreed.

13. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not close to the club on any level so I can't give inside scoops. It looked for me like the club leadership was (and is) afraid of a similar takeover as happend in Hamburg. At least that is the only way I undestand why they are doing it. As I wrote I'm not close, so I'm sure I miss things but I never ever felt like that was a real possibility.

There is anger on the fanside especially among the organized ones which accumulated over the last couple of years. The two main reasons are the expensive tickets, I think the most expensive ones in the whole league, and viagogo. But there were also a lot of smaller things which angered the fans, f.e. the club's reaction after the police stormed the Nordkurve in the match against Saloniki or how some motions in last year's member meeting were dismissed by the board so that they couldn't be voted on.

There are basically two groups. On one side is the club and the SFCV. The SFCV is an umbrella organisation for all of Schalke's fan clubs. As such it is, at least by the club, recognized as the official representation of all Schalke fans, f.e. the SFCV has a permanent seat on the club board. The problem is that the SFCV is not independent. A large part of its power and allure comes from their power to distribute tickets. Schalke could of course change at if they want to. Schalke also pays the SFCV money, they wouldn't be able to cover their costs otherwise. Peters, Schalke's CEO, is also a member on the board of the SFCV.
    That wasn't a problems as long as everything between the club and the fans was peaches but now that problems arose the fans expected the SFCV to take their sides. Unfortunately they didn't. They accepted rising ticket prices, they accepted viagogo and in general always took the club's side. So some of the bigger fan organisations like the Ultras GE or the Supporters Club left the SFCV. That obviously undermines the SFCV's claim of being the representative of all fans.

Now the opposition tried (or will try) to get more direct influence or at least more board members who look out for them. To do that they have to control the Wahlausschuss, the election board. The election board pre-selects candidates for the board. As they don't have to justify their rulings so it is rather opaque. There were several motions to reform the election board some by the opposition and one by the SFCV. The club started a campaing called Starkes Schalke in which it supported the SFCV, without saying it directly. They just supported the SFCV's motions and the just the candidates for the election board which came from the SFCV. That of course drew some ire so someone created Schalke.V.ereint (e.V. stands for "eingetragener Verein" and is the legal term for a registered association, all football clubs were one at one point).

Well it now looks as if all that won't haunt the member meeting. I'm not sure if they can find a common ground but I hope they do. I think the club's fear is overblown, can't see something happen like in Hamburg where the fans took control of the club (and ran it into the ground). What I could see happen is a diminished role for the SFCV which the SFCV will fight with everything they have.

Epitome990 and LongDuckDong repped this.
  14. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Happy Birthday Schalke 04 110 years today

May we always keep our democratic structure,never sell our soul to Abu Dhabi or elsewhere

Epitome990 and LongDuckDong repped this.
  15. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #615 Homa, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
    Looks like the annual general meeting went without hiccup this time. Guess the most important news are:
    1) Fährmann signed an extension till 2019
    2) Elgert signed a new contract till 2018
    3) Veltins signed an extension for the stadium name. They will pay more, don't know how much, and the contract will run till 2019.
    4) Our U19 won today and is again qualified for the championship playoffs.

As for the election board. All the candidates of the SFCV failed. We will see how the work in the small groups for the rule changes will work out.

Ah, I forgot. Jobst said that Schalke will shortly sign a new partnership with a big Asian company. I don't know which one or what the partnership consists of.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the updates.

17. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, problem. The most important one is probably Elgert's extension. He is just fantastic with the U19.

18. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Löw nominated Meyer, Goretzka, Draxler and Höwedes for the World Cup. Well, for the training camp before. Doubt Meyer and Goretzka will be nominated for the World Cup proper. Still, a nice surprise for those two and a good reward for their first full season in the 1.Bundesliga.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  19. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAY, third place!! Finally!

Now Heldt just has to complete signing Giefer and, hopefully, Jung, and we're finished with our aquisitions as long as none of our regulars leaves.

I hope they can start building the new training pitches, footbonaut and the new stadium.

LongDuckDong and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  20. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tuchel won't train Mainz next season. The situation is a bit chaotic, looks like Mainz won't release him, so the contract would stil run until 2015. There were also pretty believeable rumours that Schalke was on the verge of signing him and his team to take over this summer but Heidel shot it down. Tuchel rejected a later approach by Leverkusen.

I still can't see us replacing Keller with Tuchel this summer but next year is something different when Keller's contract runs out. Rumours will run wild the whole season long if Tuchel doesn't sign with another club and Schalke doesn't extend Keller's contract.

22. logout

logout Member

Jun 29, 2006
    CL again. Keller der Hersteller (of wins) it is at last. Maybe not a bad coach at all after this injury affected season.
    Am I a bad person if I still want Tuchel to coach the team next season?

23. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, you are! :p
    I wouldn't cry if Tuchel took over, but I think Keller deserves coaching here next season.

24. logout

logout Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Without any doubt. Maybe the U21? Wait, this is our first team now. ok, the U19 then..

25. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Elgert is coaching the U19. I wouldn't even let Klopp or Pepp near them.

Heldt confirmed today that Keller will be our coach next season. He also confirmed signing Giefer.