2013/2014 Season Thread [poll]

Discussion in 'FC Schalke 04' started by LongDuckDong, Jul 17, 2013.

?

Season thread name?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2013.
  1. Come Kell-er high water!

20.0%
  2. From Keller to Top!

60.0%
  3. Keller der Hersteller (of wins)

20.0%
  4. Other, write-in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Homa...if they finish 4th or above, no way Keller loses the job.

2. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pray to the soccer gods that we don't have any more injuries. We only have 15 healthy first team players at the moment.

3. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #528 Epitome990, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    What a striking goal by Goretkza!

Very aggressive attacking by LeGo even before that. Great start for the team today.

Max Meyer nice poise on that quick dribble move to break past the defender.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  4. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good victory. We can go into the derby without worrying too much about the teams behind us. Should have a good shot at second place if we don't lose in Dortmund.

The only thing I didn't like today was a lack of clear cut chances. We dominated the game, created a couple of dangerous situations but weren't able to get good shots on goal. Was imho the main reason why it was so tight for so long.

I like Ayhan. Could become our next homegrown regular, now that Höwedes is out until whenever. Also showed why he scored 14 goals last season as a central defender. Nice freekicks.

Goretzka and Boateng played very well, too. Atm Goretzka looks like the one in best from out of Draxler, Meyer and him. Draxler somehow isn't in the games and Meyer, while being a very valuable passing outlet, lacks efficiency. Both should be good in the future, thoug, nothing to worry aboutl.

LongDuckDong and Epitome990 repped this.
  5. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    #530 Epitome990, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Delayed reaction in the box on a few possessions prevented more easy goals from going in. There was one notable time where I felt Boateng should have scored. He had good space open around him at the top of the box, but was slow to react and his shot was challenged by the time he went for a kick. Couple of other chances where a simple header or tap in would have been key in scoring. I remember 2 other key prime scoring chances, when Goretzka and Kolasinac had nice shots on target but stopped by leaping saves by Braunschweig's keeper.

For the bulk of the game, it was a fairly comfortable defensively for Schalke. Fahrmann had some good saves at certain points of the game. I missed the final 5 mins when Szalai added the 3rd goal, but there were a few moments of pressure where after Braunschweig's goal and they kept pressing for an equalizer. Fahrmann had a clutch save in there as well.

I think today was LeGo's best performance so far with the team. Showed good touches and strong runs, while also balancing with savvy defensive efforts. I'm also liking Ayhan more and more.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  6. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is what I meant. We played a very good game but the little things went wrong too often which prohibited us from getting more really high quality chances. It is not a big problem, but it nearly cost us after Braunschweig scored.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it really did.

I'm hoping Annan doesn't have to play much, because he looks completely unprepared for this level of play.

8. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Annan playing is solely down to our injury problems. They are worse than Dortmund's but somehow nobody seems to notice. Just look at our bench against Braunschweig.

9. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any of the injured going to be back this week?

10. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leverkusen lost this afternoon, so now 6 points separate them from Schalke. Leverkusen also have a difficult away match at Augsburg this week. It looks like the race for that 4th place spot is going to be wide open, just like last year.

11. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think we have many players returning. Papa may come back for Dortmund but that's about it. Everybody else is out for a longer time, I think.

12. Alex Weber

Alex Weber Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Farfan is rehabbing his knee, but he should be back in a few weeks. Howedes is definitely out for a few weeks with that muscle tear. Papa looks like he should be back soon. Aogo is undergoing rehab for his knee, but won't be healthy until May. Uchida and Santana should be rehabbing their hamstrings, but won't be back until April. Hoger should be back this April. Fuchs underwent surgery, no? Kirchoff won't be back until the summer. Finally, Celmens is struggling with his hip.

Basically, we're stuck with the squad as is until the first weeks of April.

13. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, Leverkusen has really been shitting the bed in the second half so far. Incredible that we were nine points behind them at the winter break.

I hope that Farfan and Uchida will come back soon. I don't expect to see anything from Aogo, Kirchhoff, Höwedes, Clemens. Fuchs and Höger for the rest of the season. Santana could come back, too. Normally I wouldn't care but he could be important now that Höwedes is again out.

14. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anybody else pumped for the game tomorrow? I feel like we could win there. Would be sooo sweet.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not getting my hopes up, that way I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get a result. Our squad is so banged up right now, I feel like it's justified.

16. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I understand that sentiment. I usually approach games in a similar fashion, it is just different for tomorrows match. I can't say why exactly, it is just a gut feeling on which I wouldn't bet.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We didn't cover ourselves in glory, but I'll take the result. Dortmund needed a win way more than we did, considering they have the harder schedule.

CCinGermany repped this.
  18. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was lucky. And exciting. Puuuuh. Yes, I take the draw. Important thing was not to lose.

19. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoroughly satisfied with the draw as well. Will be very curious how those boys in yellow fare against Real Madrid.

20. Homa

Homa Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Aachen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I doubt Dortmund advances against Madrid. They look weaker than last year, even then they needed a (near) perfect storm to advance. Can't see Real imploding like they did in the first leg last year.

Looks like Ayhan has some muscle problems after the match. He is optimistic for friday, but ******** our injuries. They look like our biggest opponent for the rest of the season (as if they weren't anyway).

21. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wanted to post for a long while. Can some updates on the new guys coming up?

I think Schalke could do with a DM because Roman is very average IMO and Jan would be an upgrade.

Next season you have Sam coming in too with Clemens, Draxler, Obasi as LW's, Farfan the RW and the LW's mentioned can play RW's. Goretzka and Boateng as CM. Draxler, Meyer, KPB as No.10.

Hunter starting ST, Szalai Back-up. Uchida & Fuchs IMO are best along with Papa-Howedes pairing.

There are guys who I feel are over-rated. Santana has horrible positioning. I am also not impressed defensively by Kolasinac. Fuchs I feel was way better. Aogo is a defensive liability. Matip is another very average player IMO.

I hope the coach makes the right decision and starts with -
    Uchida - Howedes - Papa - Fuchs
    (Rest as back-up). Jan should get a fair chance at DM.

Also like the new kid at CB, Ayan I think is his name.

With the right selection of players and if Meyer-Goretzka develop, Schalke can be BL Contenders next season and CHL Contenders soon.

Also you need a better coach than Keller, maybe Tuchel. Better than Veh IMO.

And you guys are ridiculously thin on GK. Fabian would come as handy competition if bought or someone from the reserves needs promotion.

22. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Just checked the Contact Situation. Anthony and Hildebrand are leaving. If Fuchs is fit and if Max Philip is good, there is no reason to get Aogo again.

You need Back GK to Ralf. Unnerstall is probably coming back.

Hoogland is leaving so Hoger will probably be the Back-up RB with/or some kid being promoted from the Reserves. Uchida's contract expires at 2015 and needs to extended.

Fuchs contract expires at 2015 and needs to extended if he is fit but hiers injury history is worrysome.

Matip and Santana have contracts till 2016. Both should be sold in 2015 or let go for free IMO. Santana for sure. Matip maybe kept as cheap back-up if the club wants to keep a Youth Player.

Heidt seems to think the Freidrich kid will make it too so CB is very stacked.

Obasi's contract is up in 2015 with Clemens getting fitter, Meyer developing and Sam coming in, he will be sold this year or not extended. Farfan has a contract till 2016 and probably has 2 good years and will be a good help to the team.

Out in 2014 - Hoogland, Hildebrand, Aogo(on loan), Anthony.
    May Leave in 2014/Free Contract in 2015 - Unnerstall, Obasi, Fuchs, Uchida

You guys are in for big changes.

Add promising youth players and dead good going, Schalke with good coaching will be a real force

23. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Afaik Aogo was already officially signed. It will be rather Fuchs who's going to be sold.

24. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sad because Fuchs is much better as atleast he can defend.

25. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Got love how differently two people can see the same thing. I take Kola or Aogo over Fuchs because unlike him they can defend. And Matip has impressed me a lot this season, much more smooth on the ball and reliable than papa has ever been.

Agreed on Ayhan being impressive though, one day he will make a great 6 behind LeGo and lil Maxi.