2011 UNC Tarheels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by UNC4EVER, Dec 15, 2010.

1. fanosoccer

fanosoccer Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Clip on 2012 recruit, GK Lindsey Harris

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50F6GXZpOx4"]YouTube - ‪Lindsey Harris - Westlake High - Winter 2011‬‏[/ame]

2. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Ok, thanks guys! I admit it - I'm ignorant when it comes to the international game. But you have inspired me! When you talk about headbutt'ing, I always think of Zidane's from a few year's back. This Gattuso seems tame by comparison. LOL (I have no idea what I am talking about).

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    To focus in on the 2011 season... What are the possibilities?

Goal scoring came pretty well last year, and should in 2011 too. It is the defense that needs to be sorted out. So I'll concentrate on defense for now and consider the midfield and offensive possibilities in a future post.

Defensively AD/Dino need to come up with a stable dynamic defense that works together well. Last year we had so many changes (injuries and experimentation) that it was chaotic at times.

In 2011 I see Satara Murray and Taylor Ramirez potentially making a huge difference for our defense. Ramirez and Rebecca Crabb could work the left side and if Ramirez turns out to be as strong as one admirer has said, once the learning curve tails off, she could end up being the starting left back. Erin Mikula could also work there, as could Meg Morris , but I think that their talents are better at midfield. (Ramirez might possibly work out at CB, but there are other possibilities there.)

We were vulnerable in the middle last year too. Rachel Wood gave it her all, and especially considering her health issues, she performed admirably. A wonderful person, incredible trooper, and team player, -but is CB her best position in AD's 3-back system? Murray could be the answer, but it could be problematic. The 5'8" Murray is apparently a seriously fast and aggressive athlete, but by reputation has been allowed in high school to ad-hoc her skills into a one-woman wrecking crew chasing down offensive threats. How long will it take her to learn the discipline, leadership, and coordination that a Carolina CB needs? If the Tarheel coaching staff can get into her head to teach her to read the game (so that emergency runs would not have to be made) and overall get the rough edges smoothed out, she could perform wonders at center back. Otherwise Wood will have to stay. (Or, if Ramirez surprises, she could move to the middle with Satara on the left.)

At right back, Megan Brigman has been coming along nicely. She had some gaffes early on last year, but steadily learned the defensive ropes (she was a forward) and made less mistakes as the season went on. She has the speed and I think that she will only get stronger over the next two years. She's a keeper at right back, in my opinion. If she needs relief, I'm looking at incoming freshman Farrell Sweeny (also a forward) to possibly apprentice at the RB slot, and "do-it-all-Dunn" could fill in in an emergency.

As for the 2011 keeper situation, I assume that the Seiloff/Daly platoon will continue to work just fine. Both are adequate, although Seiloff is a bit more the leader and has slightly better distribution skills, even as Daly has improved her kicking significantly.

Comments?

4. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    Very good post, at worst the new dynamic players coming in will push the current bunch to work even harder..

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Moving on with the 2011 mid-field conjectures..... It's fun to think about the possibilities, but I am eagerly awaiting AD's June podcast which may change everything....

Barring injuries, I'd be very surprised if the 2011 starting was not: LH-Dunn, Holding mid-Brooks, Attacking mid-Premji, and RH-Morris. I just don't see those 4 being dislodged. But there is some wiggle room. While Brooks and Dunn are absolute locks, Morris and Premji could be moved if one of the newcomers came on unexpectedly strong.

The two prime candidates to get attacking mid looks might be Cat Nigro and Brooke Elby, but they would have to be very impressive to take much PT from Premji and I just don't see that happening. For good reason, the coaching staff seem to be high on Ranee and she is also working very well with Brooks.

Morris' "quick move and straight ahead" style may actually make her vulnerable at right half. McFarlane had some good moments last year and could compete for that position, but at the onset I see Morris pretty firmly entrenched, unless she ends up at left back. Dunn and Morris may end up switching right/left, but I think Dunn will end up on the left where she may work better with Ohai than with Jones on the right.

Others getting looks in the midfield would be Erin Mikula and incoming frosh Teresa Anania and Sarah Thompson. Rebecca Crabb will probably see some midfield time especially of she is not needed at left back.

6. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    I generally agree but I am betting that Morris starts in the back. I think she is more needed there than in midfield.

7. oleloco

oleloco New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
  8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Very interesting! With respect to Taylor Ramirez, this seems to prove the point once again that after a top tier college program recruits a player they are "noticed" by the national team coaches. I think that it is great that Ramirez, with no ODP experience is now camping with the U-18s!

Also, I'm pleased to see that Caroline Linquist is also getting another look.

Notably absent are Laura Leidle and Reilly Parker who have been recent regulars at the U-18 camps, but this could be for various benign reasons.

9. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Notably present with the U18s are Bryane Heaberlin (recovered from broken leg) and Lindsey Horan (top 2012 recruit). I noticed Horan was a sub not used in the Colorado Rush's recent game against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC, where Amber had to sit out the same game after the recent red card infraction.

Also, Kealia Ohai is back in with the U20s for the upcoming June series, after missing the last few camps. Could be due to a difference in coaching preference, since Heinrichs seems to be in charge this time (though Ellis and she still work closely together). Either way, she is producing results since the fall or she wouldn't be there.

Thanks for posting about Ramirez, oleloco, SH!

10. footie4life

footie4life Member

May 24, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    AD has a myriad of options in midfield this year and it will boil down to what type of look he wants to present. I agree with your assessment but I think that the attacking center position may be up for grabs. Premji has come along quite nicely since we first saw her 4 years ago up in Canada at their all star national competitions. That being said I don't see as being a quintessential attacking midfielder and indeed the ball was played over her a lot this past season. She excels in mopping up secondary balls however and provides a sublime through ball at times. Cat Nigro provides some size and strength and would make an excellent target player just behind the forwards whereas Anania is adept at playing in the hole and is lethal from anywhere within 30 yards. At the very least the new recruits should add a different dimension to the midfield if AD so chooses.

11. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    I dont think Ranee and Amber play well together at all.

Ranee is a good fit for another team. Her skills dont fit what UNC needs. I think Anson feels the need to play her there because he missed on the player he really wanted which was Teresa Noyola from Stanford. How does Ranee help Amber? She makes Amber have to win every ball in the air, tackle players Ranee can't win the ball against. She is no threat to score. She is a very good short range passer though.

Weakness was clearly AM & CB. I don't think the staff had the answer to fix it.

12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    What I mean my play well together is what I observed near the end of the 2010 season and in the spring season. That is that Amber would frequently pass to Ranee and they had some good triangulation in the middle. They seem to be attuned to each other's moves and like working with each other. There seems to be trust and chemistry between them on the field. (And is it only a coincidence that they both opted to play together this summer at Vancouver in the W league?)

I don't think that any one of us fans would dispute that the attacking mid position would best be filled with someone with skills and size of Pele. The fact is that AD has to work with what he has and not what we would ideally wish for. I am only predicting that Cat Nigro, or whoever, will have to show significant skills above what most frosh bring in order to dislodge an improving Premji. We'll just have to see.

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    One of the things that does baffle me is the absence of Dunn. She was a stalwart on the U-20s in the last cycle playing 90 minutes in most every game. Since that time she won top accolades as a freshman at UNC. .... She hasn't been to a camp since.

14. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Focker, thanks for your BOLD comments. They definitely stand out on the page! I'm not following your logic about Anson "feeling the need" to play Premji there because he lost on someone else he wanted to recruit (?), but I can appreciate that SoccerHunter is advancing the discussion here. A coach doesn't dwell on lost recruits - he focuses on developing the ones he brings aboard.

15. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    Wasn't their an early post about Dunn having surgery. In light of what she has done at the u17 and u20 WCs I don't think her absence is a choice of a coaching staff. Assuming she is ready to go I have to think that she will be in camps. I don't see the u20 team being without her in the qualifier or actual WC in 2012 assuming she is available.

16. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
  17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
  18. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched them both play today in the Whitecaps game. Unfortunately, not together. Amber was subbed out because she received a yellow card and continued to "converse" with the ref. Premji came in late in the game and worked hard but to no avail. Final score 5-2. Santa Clarita over the Whitecaps.

19. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    Wasn't there an earlier post of Brooks getting a red card with this team? Was she carded even once during the season? I can't imagine this is a sign of things to come for the upcoming season.

20. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes... somewhat out of character. I think that she received only one yellow card in 51 some games in her first two UNC seasons, and I recall her getting one or two yellow cards in her U-20 international matches where she started every game.

21. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    With the summer lull, our forum sometimes turns to issues of strategy and alignment.
    With that in mind, I've been thinking lately about what, if anything, might the
    Heels take away from Barcelona's recent Champions League win over Man U, and,
    if truth be told, their record over the past 3 years.

One reason to think that Anson might also be mulling this is his recent comments
    re. Barca. For several years now, he has from time to time mentioned his respect
    for Arsenal and Arsene Wenger. This past year, I recall his making similar comments
    about Barca. So, since the rest of the soccer world seems to be trying to come to
    terms with Barca, perhaps it's not unreasonable to think that Anson might be thinking
    about them, too. So, are a few issues tht come to mind that the Heels might think
    about.

One the hallmarks of Barca is their pressing defense on loss of ball by their strikers
    and midfielders in order to regain immediate control, in their opponet's final third if
    possible. That strategy has been an integral part o UNC's system for years, so don't think
    continuing this would represent taking something from Barca. In fact, there have been
    a few comments i have read that suggested some of gthe English clubs may have picked this up
    from us!

Another hallmark of Barca is thier use of an outside back in an attacking role --
    think Dani Alves. Doing such by UNC would be new. I don't see much possibility
    of this from their 3-4-3 lineup -- too fragile in the back. Instead, they tend to
    use one or both outside midfielders to get width and to swing crosses in from the
    corners/end line or to cut to the middle. So, this doesn't seem like a strategy
    UNC would consider.

A third hallmark is Barca's 4-3-3 alignment. This could be an interesting option
    for UNC, but doubt seriously Anson would ever consider this, but you never know!
    Doing so keeps UNC with their 3 strikers, and it would commit them to 3 midfielders.
    With Dunn and Morris on the flanks and Brooks in the middle, this could be an
    attractive option. (I've stayed out of the Premji debate but the telling point to me
    is that as attacking midfielder and playmaker, she was reported by someone to have had
    only 3 assists! What is her role if not setting up scoring opportunities for strikers?)
    This would shore up the defense (we hope they will be stronger next year, but they
    don't seem to be competitive at the national level with the personnel theyhad last year).
    It would also give them a new set of dynamic options if they can find the
    right talent for those back flankers.

Finally, can they play a "ticky tack" short passing, control gaime, especially
    in the midfield? It's probably unrealistic to think they can do so anything like Barca,
    since no other pro club seems able to do so. But is there anything they can learn
    from this? Anson has been recruiting more technical players lately including some of
    the solo trick performers. Is there anything along this line that could be done by a
    woman's college team? or is this just not in the cards?

22. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Barca is very good because of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves.

I dont believe the three back formation will continue to work against truly elite teams that can possession the ball. That is a huge weakness that Anson has exposed in the womens game. The high pressure will no longer force turnovers it will just allow the players to wear out chasing the ball. When that happens they can easily switch. Sometimes the personal would be suited for a different formation. Like last season for instance.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like it is possible at the women's college level. If you were to watch Portland these days, they play a possession game, with good (but not perfect) success.

24. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Yeah we know Portland plays the best soccer ever. UNC just out athletes teams.. right cp?

Weve heard this from Portland fans for years.