2011 New York Red Bulls Roster

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Thomas A Fina, Feb 2, 2011.

1. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    On adding another striker:

“I don’t think we have that salary cap space available right now,” Backe said. “So right now, it is Thierry, Juan and Dane up top. That’s what we’ll go with right now.”

2. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that is it. One of the mysteries is that he did not show up in any of the preseason games when it appeared he was practicing well (Backe's comments) early on. Backe mentioned that there might have been some family issues involved. With both Agudelo and Rodgers healthy, Backe also backed off his comments on needing to sign a striker. I think we will hear the story on this one soon.

3. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bong hits with Richie and Des. Problem was, it was Backe's stash...

(just kidding, folks, just kidding.)

4. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's as reasonable as anything.:rolleyes:

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Bouna away this week, we should probably expect a decision on the thrid GK spot this week. Hopefully they won't need to see the field though.

Sutton time is alive and well.

6. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sutton was great yesterday.. Man of the match by far for me. It's weird the difference a year makes, the last year around this point alot criticized him for being a awful goalie.. Now he's a crucial part of our team.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair it was only one game, but yes he looked great last night.

8. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I have two question:

1.-In my list of Internationals I have 11 players, have the RB buy a extra international spot or Robinson or Sutton become resident of the USA...

2.-who will be the 18 man.....Ream?...

9. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just ran across this article on a Danish site about Brian Nielsen. I'm not holding my breath that he'll stay healthy, but the team seems to expect that he'll be ready to play again by the end of June.

Unfortunately this is too late to do any good during the Gold Cup. Still, maybe he can contribute to the team's depth later in the season.

Here's a rough google-translation.

10. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would add nice depth and personally I like what he brings out wide left because he has pace (if its still there) and good technical ability for MLS. Hoefully we can see how he does in reserve games as well

11. Backe to the top

Mar 8, 2010
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Where will Solli fit in when Albright returns? He is a natural midfielder and I see him playing on the right. Also, Nielsen will be back soon. We will have excellent depth at mid in no time at all.

I also see a goalkeeper and left back being purchased very shortly. With strength at the back as well there should be no excuses for trophies not being won.

12. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No reason to move Solli from where he is know. Albright doesn't have to start.

Fcuk Nielsen. With Da Luz in the fold, he is surplus to requirements.

I can see a new gk. New left back? Not necessary and not happening.

13. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solli was subbed out with a hamstring issue, so Albright returning is definitely welcome. Don't mind him staying at home more rather than pushing up like Solli.

Still need an upgrade at keeper. Plus Soler has said that he is actively looking for more players to improve the roster.

14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. The Red Bulls said they were looking for another defender. With Albright coming back, I don't think there's much need at RB.

Ideally, if we get another defender it would be a CB/LB of starting quality. That way he could slot in at LB (I think Miller's ok, but he gets caught forward too much and has been terrible on set pieces) and then during national team call ups he could slot in next to Mendes at CB should Marquez and Ream both get called up (anything to keep Keel off the field!)

At the very least I hope to get a quality LB because the only cover we have there right now is this newly signed Jones guy. We've been lucky that Miller has been completely healthy all year and that he's fallen off Costa Rica's national team radar.

15. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I agree that we can use cover at the left back spot seeing as Jones and Schneider are not good enough but I'm not expecting them to go after a starter at left back. That is probably not gonna happen.

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Our GK's have been responsible for far more goals conceded than Miller this year, GK has to be the priority.

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not necessarily expecting them to succeed at getting a starter, but evidence strongly suggests they are pursuing one.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6733042/mls-red-bulls-not-done-dealing-soccer

So: Backe says he wants a defender, and Soler says they are looking for someone to insert into the starting lineup.

I think we can assume that Ream and Marquez's jobs in central defense are safe. Solli has been pretty good on the right, and with Albright coming back, it seems like there's plenty of depth. I guess they could shift him to midfield, but Richards has done well at RM so I don't really see the point. Which leads me to deduce that they are looking for a LB.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Logical.

19. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My logical deduction mr watson says that soler and Backe do not communicate with each other frequently and they both do not agree on what they need.

20. komba

komba Member

May 28, 2009
    Well, Sutton is the goner.

A bit surprised I guess but it looks like they still want to go with Bouna as the long term answer at GK.

As per Dyer's twitter he says that Sutton is the only keeper not practicing.

21. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Slightly more disturbing news from Dyer today is that Henry is shaved his beard.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto traded away Tchani.

23. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised they kept Bouna, as all indications point towards Sutton being gone.

Whatever. Rost is the starter.

24. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I have my doubts that Sutton is gone, I still believe that will be Buona, if Backe pick Sutton to play the last two game instead of Buona is because out of both keepers he feel more comfortable with Sutton than Buona and for the salary cap, he will need every cent to sign Frost, so for me I bet will be Buona who is in his way out....