[2011 Matchday 7] Whitecaps vs FC Dallas | 2011 April 23

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Apr 20, 2011.

1. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Date|Time:
    Saturday April 23, 2011 | 4pm PST

Venue:
    Empire Field | Vancouver, BC

Forecast:
    Partly cloudy, 16C

TV Broadcast:
    [​IMG]

League Position & Form [Last 5 League]:
    Vancouver: 1-2-3, 5 pts, -1 GD [L-D-D-L-D]
    FC Dallas: 1-3-1, 4 pts, -2 GD [L-L-L-W-L]

Last Meeting:
    N/A [First Ever Meeting]​

2. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Hassli, Camilo, Teibert, Dunfield, Harmse, Chiumiento, Rochat, Boxall, Akloul, Leathers[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Based on injuries, call-ups, and a reserve matches, this is my best guess for the lineup.

3. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Swap Chiumiento with Harmse, and slot in Salinas at right mid and we're golden. :)

4. JBiz14

JBiz14 Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Lethbridge
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It would be nice to get a win and some momentum going into the away leg of the NCC semi-finals.

5. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    Watched practice at swangard today. Akloul and DeMerit were training together to the side doing light running and drills so it doesn't look like Akloul will be starting. Teibert was wearing a different colour jersey during scrimmage, which most likely means he's still not fully recovered yet. Harris did not practice and everybody else including, Morfaw, Janicki, Nanchoff, and Salinas were in full practice.

6. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So who was playing together in midfield during scrimmage?

7. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So we'll be running a 5-1-1-3 on Saturday? :rolleyes:

Geez. I'm starting to miss Atiba Harris. I NEVER miss Atiba Harris.

8. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver
    it was just a short field posession type scrimmage. teams seemed to be split up evenly. the scrimmage didn't really give an indication of who would be starting. for example, cornelius stewart was on the same team as dunfield, rochat, chiumiento

9. Ded�

Ded� New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Marc Weber: Dunfield, Salinas, Janicki and Nanchoff got through training today. Listed in order of likelihood they'll play Dallas on Sat.

Akloul had a rest day after playing 90 for the reserves but Teitur said he'll be back tomorrow. DeMerit, Harris, Thorrington, Morfaw out.

10. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am not giong to swear, because if I do, I will unleash such a torrent...

So we looked shaky for 5-10 mins, good until 35 mins, and then lost virtually all our chemistry until Khalfan came on and provided some intermittent spark.

THE GOOD: The first 35-minutes when it seemed like Chiumiento (and too a certain extent, Hassli) was going to eat Dallas's left flank like a Korean on kimchi.

THE BAD: Camilo, where were't thou? Why did our touch let us down so badly whenever we got within 10 metres of the goal box? Where did our offense disappear to from minute 35 to minute 70?

THE UGLY: Dunfield's nose. Ferreira's injury. All of the time men spent on the carpet. The goal that wasn't televised because we were learning how to saw "Goal!" in Cantonese. (A feature, by the way, that I liked - I just can't believe they weren't focusing on the gameplay.) The defending on the second goal.

On a lighter note, the Yorkies at Fox n Hounds were sublime.

12. Whitecaps10

Whitecaps10 Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Long Island,NY
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the match, but from what I heard on Twitter was that the Caps dominated the first half, but lost their attacking ability in the second half. I need to get MLS matchday live to watch the matches.

13. kblznbtz

kblznbtz New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    California
    I keep telling you guys as long as Nolly is in goal. You all will continue to be scored on left and right and rank at the bottom of the league in record and tops at allowing the most goals per game......

14. JBiz14

JBiz14 Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Lethbridge
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Joe is that you? :p

I'm not a huge fan of Nolly but I think getting DeMerit and our midfield healthy will go a long way to keeping the ball out of our net.

15. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    THE BAD: Camilo, where were't thou?

Couldn't agree more, he was getting eaten alive by the two FCD central defenders, but some of the blame goes to his teammates giving him high balls. How is he going to win anything in the air?
    Also some blame to Teitur, as he could have subbed out Camilo prior to the Dallas 2nd goal as it was obvious that he was ineffective.

How does Knight, start over Teibert? The guy gives 110%, but man the service is just lacking, the crosses are all over the place.
    Salinas please get fit soon!

16. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nolly just seems uncertain at times, he hardly ever comes out to claim anything and when he does, it's shaky (eg. when FCD got their penalty kick).

Where's Cannon? Still not fit?

17. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Teibert has been nursing a hip injury.

18. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

You don't have to tell us, you have to tell our coach, who continues to start Nolly because he has been our keeper for the last few years.

That second goal should have been saved.

19. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I was questioning Teitur's coaching ability at this level on facebook only to have southsiders gang up on me. Glad to see others question his choices.

20. RicoAzzurro

RicoAzzurro Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No kidding?
    Ya, doesn't anyone else feel that he's got to take some more chances?
    I would have switched Camilo at half, or 60 minute mark at most with Salgado. He was too small against central defenders of FCD, and no one in mid was giving him any balls to his feet or ones he could run onto.
    Could have, and should have put this game away.

21. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I think Teitur has this set in stone playbook where he has it written that Salgado will not come on until close to the 85th minute no matter what!

22. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some good post-game analysis. (I usually find Ben Massey's particularly good. The last couple weeks we've agreed on virtually everything.)

Ben Massey post-game rantings

23. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think I have two main problems with Teitur right now:

1. His subs are becoming predictable, and therefore don't strike me as actual tactical responses to the flow of the game. Start your 11 - put Khalfan in at the 60th minute, Salgado in at the 85th. The only reason why Camilo doesn't make this equation as well is because Harris is out, so TT can't start him ahead of Camilo.

2. He seems dead-set on 4-4-2, even when injuries, call-ups, and suspensions give us line-ups that seem conducive to varied approaches to formation (e.g. 4-3-1-2, 4-4-2 diamond).

24. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Exactly, bang on! His predictable subs/formation from his set in stone playbook. Like a guy with a football manager video game who does the same thing each game.

As an aside, yesterday was the first game I haven't attended this season. Found it annoying that the drummers the Whitecaps employ seem to be mic'd up with the television broadcast. It's as annoying as NLL lacrosse games where they blare awful music throughout the game. Put's me off.

25. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^Yep. But I was actually convinced that TT would do something different this match but now my fear is building with his decisions. Surely he'll have to change his manifesto on the road ahead.

Which brings me to Hassli's yellow - Before this went down my bro and I are screaming for TT to sub him before he gets one because you could just tell it was coming any minute, it was brewing big time. Then low and behold it did. How come we saw that coming and Teitur didn't? Please tell me TT isn't naive.