[2011 Matchday 5] Whitecaps vs Houston | 2011 April 10

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Just this game? It's absolute garbage.

2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once y'all lost Demerit it was going to go south for the defense. I thought your offense looked lively throughout. You guys missed Hassli.

But 10 goals conceded in 5 games. Not good. Good luck to your team in the next few upcoming games.

3. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow. Just wow.

The good:
    - Camilo is a lot of fun to watch, and links very well with Chiumiento
    - I though Khalfan looked good

The bad:
    - even with DeMerit, we were exploited down the middle over and over
    - we were so tired it made me cringe
    - we saw Salgado, but he didn't get any real service...so we learned nothing about Salgado

The ugly:
    - we simply could not build up any type of attack
    - how long is DeMerit out?
    - the play of Atiba Harris
    - TT leaving Harris in for the full 90
    - pulling Camilo instead of Harris
    - the first half of the game except for the 90 seconds of goal-scoring
    - the Whitecaps D without DeMerit

Wow. Just wow.

4. kblznbtz

kblznbtz New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    California
    As long as nolly remains in goal, you will continue to get scored on at will by everyone else.....

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in our defense.... and there really isn't much excuse, because it was rather empty, I heard only a little more than 12,000 there..... the stadium holds 32,000, so it looks empty a lot of the time even with good crowds. And most of the people, especially for an early, sunny day, sit on the west side, away from the cameras, and that side was much more full. In a regular MLS stadium, it would have looked like a better crowd. Also, a lot of the casual Mexican fans, people that might have been there, stayed home this time to watch the Mexican Superclásico between Chivas and América. Also, usually Sunday nights don't do us any favors attendance-wise.
    But still, no excuse, hopefully it will pick up. That was one of our lowest attendances (I read it was the lowest) ever for an MLS game.

6. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really need to add to this that Houston has its share of fair weather fans. This happens with the Astros and Rockets as well. The Dynamo have been poor the last two seasons and this year with no new big signings the fans are not coming out.

What you saw yesterday were the 12,000 hardcore fans who came out not expecting a win but just there for the club.

7. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Rochat was like a turnstile.. :eek: And the keeper doesn't inspire confidence .. These things were pointed out by TFC fans even after they got thrashed. The defense shakes like a rotting rope bridge in a hurricane..

8. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sre1DeAxcxY"]YouTube - KeeperNotes - Dynamo v Whitecaps - 04/10/2011[/ame]

9. bgix

bgix Bad Penny

Jun 29, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody have a link to a recording of this match? I have a collection building that includes all of the previous Cascadia matches to date, and as such can provide a link in return of all previous 2011 Cascadia participating matches, and probably most future (2011) ones as well.

Damn Direct Kick blacked me out of this one, because it was shown nationwide in Spanish.

10. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    First game all season where we definitely looked like an expansion team.

The D was terrible and flat all game. I don't think you can really blame Nolly for the 3 goals. Wagner looked like he didn't belong out there at all... at least certainly not as a starter (surely Wes Knight could have done better?). Rochat looked like he wasn't even trying at times and Boxall appeared lost.

Our mid couldn't maintain any possession. Chiumiento overall was disappointing, although at times it looked like he had no one supporting him out there. The only Caps player I was impressed with was Teibert when he came on. Didn't see enough of Salgado. I kinda wish they put him in a little earlier.

Next game I think we'll see Akloul starting at CB, and I really think they gotta go with Hassli and Camilo up front. I'll give Harris credit for always working hard, but he just doesn't seem to be making enough of an impact out there to warrant starting every game.